PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Grace Meng (D-N.Y.) was hit over the head and robbed Tuesday night near the Capitol

CaseyJones
11-20-2013, 07:50 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/190972-rep-meng-robbed-near-capitol-hill

An attacker knocked Meng to the ground with a hit to the head while she was walking back to her apartment after eating dinner. The attacker took her bag and ran away near 6th St. and Pennsylvania Ave — a little less than a mile from the Capitol building.

“While this was a frightening ordeal, I fortunately was not seriously injured,” Meng said. “Obviously, things could have been much worse. I thank the U.S. Capitol Police and the District of Columbia Police for responding quickly and professionally.”

Meng sustained minor injuries, including a bruise to her chin. She was taken to George Washington University Hospital where she underwent a CAT scan. Meng missed the first two votes on Wednesday but was present for subsequent votes.

The New York Democrat is a freshman elected in 2012.

U.S. Capitol Police, which is leading the “open” and “active” investigation, said no arrests have yet been made. Metro police directed questions to Capitol police.

The lawmaker told reporters Wednesday evening that police are scrubbing for fingerprints on an old cell phone of hers that was found at the scene. The phone was in Meng's bag but was apparently discarded by her attacker.

She said she was fortunate to be carrying her wallet and credit cards in her coat pocket at the time and not in the bag that was stolen.

"I'm lucky," she said.

video report at link

JK/SEA
11-20-2013, 08:11 PM
too bad.

any cops hurt?

eduardo89
11-20-2013, 08:14 PM
"I'm lucky," she said.

Of course you are, you reported it to the police and they didn't shoot you.