PDA

View Full Version : Sacrebleu: 'Too fat to fly or Cruise' Frenchman now too fat for Eurostar

aGameOfThrones
11-19-2013, 06:53 PM
http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Y5RRd0oUCIrYVmexfvmEeg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTU3NDtweW9mZj0wO3E9Nz U7dz03Njg-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/afp.com/db9902333988f616a8afa593d036320f763bbf95.jpg

London (AFP) - A clinically obese Frenchman stranded in the United States because he was deemed too heavy to fly finally took a plane to Britain Tuesday -- only to be refused travel home by the Eurostar cross-channel train.

Kevin Chenais, 22, who weighs 230 kilos (500 pounds), arrived at London's Heathrow airport with his parents after Virgin Atlantic agreed to fly him back from New York.

He had been in the US since May 2012 for treatment for a hormone imbalance and had been set to return home on British Airways last month, but the airline refused to accept him as a passenger, saying he was too heavy.

The family subsequently tried to sail across the Atlantic on the Queen Mary 2, but the cruise ship's owners also refused to have him on board.

After arriving at Heathrow, a visibly exhausted Chenais described the ordeal to return home as "terrible, terrible, terrible".

"The flight was really hard," he told AFP as he sat on his mobility scooter at the airport.

"I didn't stop crying for the whole flight."

Chenais, who was wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with the Stars and Stripes, praised Virgin for flying him out from New York's JFK airport and paying for the economy-class flights for him and his parents.

"That was very kind of them," he said, "but I was very uncomfortable -- I have a lot of problems with the skin on my thighs and the seat was small."

Chenais and his parents were met at Heathrow by French consular staff who arranged for them to try for a Paris-bound Eurostar train later Tuesday.

But Eurostar then said that he had been refused travel because of its regulations for evacuation procedures.

"His weight meant that we would not be able to take care of this person or be able to carry him to evacuate him," a Eurostar spokeswoman told AFP.

She said Eurostar did not have any specific weight limit, but each train has two places for disabled or limited mobility people and the train's staff had to be capable of getting each of those people out in case of emergency.

Chenais was staying at a hotel near the Eurostar terminal at London's St Pancras station while the firm looked for other options including cross-channel ferries and taxis, the spokeswoman said.

The family's eventual destination is their home town of Ferney-Voltaire near the Swiss border.

Chenais, who requires frequent oxygen and regular care, had earlier expressed his anger at British Airways and the Queen Mary 2's owners Carnival for refusing to take him home.

"We were all set to take the boat, then they turned us back without even seeing me, without even trying," he said.

"So I'm really angry -- doubly angry because British Airways refused to take me."

Kevin's father Rene, 62, said his son had been left feeling "empty" when British Airways refused to let him fly.
(this comment is going to get a comment)

The same airline had flown him to the United States in the first place, he pointed out.

"They took him out there, but they wouldn't take him back," he said.

"This is a case of discrimination."

http://news.yahoo.com/too-fat-fly-frenchman-lands-britain-115947782.html

Natural Citizen
11-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Physics don't change themselves to accommodate. Sorry his feelings got hurt but that's just the way it is.

dannno
11-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Actually this is not discrimination, it sounds like a bunch of out of control government regulations.

They said they couldn't have him on because the crew is legally required to be able to get all passengers off in case of emergency.

dannno
11-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Physics don't change themselves to accommodate. Sorry his feelings got hurt but that's just the way it is.

That's just the way government regulations are?

Natural Citizen
11-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Actually this is not discrimination, it sounds like a bunch of out of control government regulations.

They said they couldn't have him on because the crew is legally required to be able to get all passengers off in case of emergency.

The boat or the plane? I've read probably 5 articles on this so far and all are different.

gwax23
11-19-2013, 07:05 PM
lol

Natural Citizen
11-19-2013, 07:10 PM
That's just the way government regulations are?

I don't know exactly why he was told to hit the bricks. Like I said, I've read a few different articles on this ans they're all different.

But just so I understand you, you're saying that people should be required to be responsible for this guy's safety in an emergency situation?

dannno
11-19-2013, 07:11 PM
The boat or the plane? I've read probably 5 articles on this so far and all are different.

I feel like but am not sure I heard two places gave him that same explanation including the Eurostar Train and he is talking about numerous modes of transportation that he attempted.

Natural Citizen
11-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Also, why is it that he's so heavy? Is it a disease or something? Because I'll be honest, I'm getting really tired of people "consuming" rules on me.

dannno
11-19-2013, 07:13 PM
But just so I understand you, you're saying that people should be required to be responsible for this guy's safety in an emergency situation?

No, I'm saying that government regulations require that the crew be able to get each passenger off in case of emergency and that is why he was told that he couldn't get on.

A private company with no government regulation would gladly allow him on if there was adequate room and he could pay for his seat(s), but may warn him that if there is an emergency crews may not be able to safely remove him from the train or airplane.

Natural Citizen
11-19-2013, 07:16 PM
I feel like but am not sure I heard two places gave him that same explanation including the Eurostar Train and he is talking about numerous modes of transportation that he attempted.

Well, he flew here over a year ago and apparently has gained over a hundred pounds. So a hundred pounds is the difference in the rules or whatever. I don't know, danno. I want to feel bad for the guy but any more I'm just tired of people letting themselves go and consuming themselves into oblivion and then dictating the rules based upon their consumption. As I said though, I don't know why he's so big. Maybe it's a disease or something.

Natural Citizen
11-19-2013, 07:17 PM
A private company with no government regulation would gladly allow him on if there was adequate room and he could pay for his seat(s), but may warn him that if there is an emergency crews may not be able to safely remove him from the train or airplane.

Oh, I see. Yes, I agree with that. I didn't understand what you were saying there.

dannno
11-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Also, why is it that he's so heavy? Is it a disease or something? Because I'll be honest, I'm getting really tired of people "consuming" rules on me.

Yes, he has a hormone imbalance, his thyroid is royally fucked, in fact that is why he came to the U.S. in the first place was to get medical treatment for his obesity. A side story could probably be written about why if the health care in France and/or UK is so great he needed to come here..

I knew a girl at my work who was super skinny and hot, hot, hot when she was younger but in her mid 20s she got a thyroid problem and no matter how much she dieted and exercised she ended up well over 300 lbs.

I blame the condition as well as the escalation on carb/grain intake, so it's really difficult to blame individuals who are given a food pyramid at a very young age and told that is a healthy diet.

dannno
11-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Well, he flew here over a year ago and apparently has gained over a hundred pounds. So a hundred pounds is the difference in the rules or whatever. I don't know, danno. I want to feel bad for the guy but any more I'm just tired of people letting themselves go and consuming themselves into oblivion and then dictating the rules based upon their consumption. As I said though, I don't know why he's so big. Maybe it's a disease or something.

Hah, he flew over here a year ago to get medical treatment for his obesity and he ended up gaining 100 lbs.

We have such an amazing medical system with such great knowledge of our diet and hormones :rolleyes:

Not to mention the food quality is horrible here compared to France unless you know what you are getting.

The irony is I could have him under 190 lbs and healthy in about a year. He needs dessicated animal thyroid supplements, kelp supplements, selenium supplements, a few other vital minerals/nutrients and he needs to go on the paleo diet.

eduardo89
11-19-2013, 07:21 PM

And you don't think a private business would have that regulation regardless of government? Of course they would to limit their liability in case of an accident.

Natural Citizen
11-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Yes, he has a hormone imbalance, his thyroid is royally fucked, in fact that is why he came to the U.S. in the first place was to get medical treatment for his obesity. A side story could probably be written about why if the health care in France and/or UK is so great he needed to come here..

I knew a girl at my work who was super skinny and hot, hot, hot when she was younger but in her mid 20s she got a thyroid problem and no matter how much she dieted and exercised she ended up well over 300 lbs.

I blame the condition as well as the escalation on carb/grain intake, so it's really difficult to blame individuals who are given a food pyramid at a very young age and told that is a healthy diet.

Absolutely true regarding a side report on this issue. Good point.

Good point with the carb intake too. And the food pyramid shenanigan. Man...you're pretty good with this. That's the biggest scam going.

dannno
11-19-2013, 07:34 PM
And you don't think a private business would have that regulation regardless of government? Of course they would to limit their liability in case of an accident.

Why not take in the fair and limit the liability by having them sign a contract that they aren't liable?

What liability are you talking about, anyway?

If I drive my friend to work and we get in an accident, assuming it is another driver's fault, am I obligated to get him out of my car?