PDA

View Full Version : NHTSA May Mandate That New Cars Broadcast Location, Direction and Speed

CaseyJones
11-19-2013, 04:34 PM
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/nhtsa-may-mandate-new-cars-broadcast-location-direction-and-speed

Before the end of this year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will decide whether or not to begin the rulemaking process to mandate that newly manufactured cars include what is being called “vehicle-to-vehicle” (V2V) communications technology that constantly broadcasts via radio wave the car’s location, direction, speed and, possibly, even the number of passengers it is carrying.

“NHTSA expects to make a decision on V2V technology by the end of the year,” a spokesman for the agency told CNSNews.com.

That point was reaffirmed by NHTSA Administrator David Strickland in testimony in the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee today, where he said the agency will “decide this year whether to further advance the technology through regulatory action, additional research, or a combination of both.”

“We expect to issue decisions on light duty vehicles this year, followed by a decision on heavy-duty vehicles in 2014,” he said.

NHTSA sees this technology as the first step on a “continuum” of automotive evolution that will ultimately lead to fully automated vehicles navigated by internal electronics linked to external infrastructure, communications and database systems.

DamianTV
11-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Because the NHTSA is an Elected and Accountable Authority.

We dont need no stinking Red Light Cameras when we put all that Tracking Tech right into your car itself, by LAW.

(Law being only a Money Maker for Govt and has nothing to do with Justice. Obey the Law, not Justice)

acptulsa
11-19-2013, 05:32 PM
I predict an unprecedented resurgence of interest in restored antique cars.

Wonder if Year One is publicly traded..?

Origanalist
11-19-2013, 05:35 PM
I wonder if I'm going to end my days living under a bridge eating out of garbage cans?

paulbot24
11-19-2013, 05:58 PM
-"NHTSA sees this technology as the first step on a “continuum” of automotive evolution that will ultimately lead to fully automated vehicles navigated by internal electronics linked to external infrastructure, communications and database systems."

What do you bet they would still force us to wear safety belts while in these fully automated cars plodding along the navigation system they designed. What could go wrong? Wait a minute. Yeah, actually you might want to use a seat belt at that point.

Origanalist
11-19-2013, 06:00 PM
-"NHTSA sees this technology as the first step on a “continuum” of automotive evolution that will ultimately lead to fully automated vehicles navigated by internal electronics linked to external infrastructure, communications and database systems."

What do you bet they would still force us to wear safety belts while in these fully automated cars plodding along the navigation system they designed. What could go wrong? Wait a minute. Yeah, actually you might want to use a seat belt at that point.

The cars won't start or move without them being on you by then.

DamianTV
11-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Unless they deauthorize your bio implant chip, then you cant drive, well RIDE at all!

The future isnt just Dark, it is Pitch Black!

parocks
11-19-2013, 06:44 PM
I wonder if I'm going to end my days living under a bridge eating out of garbage cans?

cave in woods

enhanced_deficit
11-19-2013, 06:51 PM
As much as I'm skeptical of big brother, the problem is that when cars drive around without telling other cars where they are heading, it can result in harm to such cars and their drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvbe8DFfs0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvbe8DFfs0