PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii State Rep Is Smashing Belongings Of The Homeless

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-19-2013, 01:52 PM
What a nice, progressive way to deal with homeless problem.

Much like Batkid, Hawaii has found its own superhero. Except that instead of protecting the powerless from harm, he roams the streets with a sledgehammer and looks for homeless people in order to literally smash their possessions.

Remarkably, this vigilante isn’t just some random Hawaiian, but five-term State Rep. Tom Brower (D).

Noting that he’s “disgusted” with homeless people, Brower told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser about his own personal brand of “justice”: “If I see shopping carts that I can’t identify, I will destroy them so they can’t be pushed on the streets.” Brower has waged this campaign for two weeks, estimating that he’s smashed about 30 shopping carts in the process.

“I want to do something practical that will really clean up the streets,” he explained to Hawaii News Now as he showed off his property destruction skills:

Uncontent to just destroy homeless people’s items, Brower is also on a mission to wake those he finds sleeping and tell them to sleep somewhere else. “If someone is sleeping at night on the bus stop, I don’t do anything, but if they are sleeping during the day, I’ll walk up and say, ‘Get your ass moving,’” he said.

It’s no stretch to assume that if Brower were found roaming middle-class neighborhoods and smashing items in people’s homes, he would find himself both out of office and behind bars. But segments of society view homeless people as less important and undeserving of the dignity of having their possessions kept safe.

One homeless person in Honolulu, Edward Ferreira, witnessed Brower in action. “To see someone banging on stuff like that, it was very scary for me,” he told Hawaii News Now.

Without a home, homeless people often have nowhere to store their possessions. A shopping cart can be very useful in both its storage space and mobility. Some localities, including New York, San Francisco, Chicago, and others have tried to address this problem by offering free storage space to homeless people.

Hawaii, on the other hand, is garnering a reputation for a less-than-compassionate approach to its homeless population, and it’s not just because of Brower. It’s got the highest rate of homelessness in the country, but rather than build more shelters or offer more services for the poor, lawmakers approved $100,000 over the next two years to offer one-way flights off the islands to any of the state’s estimated 17,000 homeless persons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf31XDSSx74

http://www.alternet.org/state-rep-smashes-homeless-peoples-stuff-sledgegammer

Snew
11-19-2013, 01:54 PM
I was puzzled when I read the thread title but after reading the story... what the heck?? :mad:

gwax23
11-19-2013, 01:55 PM
The face of the left.... What compassion!

jkr
11-19-2013, 02:06 PM
WHAT
A
FUCKING
PIECE
OF
TRASH

EBounding
11-19-2013, 02:21 PM
WTH? Shopping carts cost like $300. Is this an Onion video?

dannno
11-19-2013, 02:27 PM
I think I'd rather be homeless in Hawaii than have a home in Detroit.

jonhowe
11-19-2013, 02:34 PM
I can't even... I can't... what?

WHAT????

WHY IS HE NOT IN JAIL?!

11-19-2013, 02:38 PM
I think I'd rather be homeless in Hawaii than have a home in Detroit.

Lots of people think like that, it's why they have so many homeless. The weather makes it comfortable to sleep outdoors.

IDK how I feel about the program to buy tickets, but a lot of the homeless in HI are not from HI.

Kotin
11-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Well he's a dick..

But here's a bright side for libertarians: he's not passing a law or making police do it for him..

moostraks
11-19-2013, 02:41 PM
So he is complaining and using the argument the homeless have stolen the carts. Isn't then his activity some form of property violation to which he is an accessory? He has only returned 6 of 30 carts, admitted he is disabling them, so they are functional before he gets a hold of them. I am sure broken down carts are rather attractive for the public. What a horrible "solution".

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Well he's a dick..

But here's a bright side for libertarians: he's not passing a law or making police do it for him..

lol but he is leaving the now disabled carts for the city to haul away which is costing the taxpayers money.

Danke
11-19-2013, 02:49 PM
I wish him a long and painful death.

jonhowe
11-19-2013, 02:54 PM
phone: 808-586-8520
email: repbrower@capitol.hawaii.gov

Get to it folks. I informed both his inbox and his voicemail that he is a piece of shit.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-19-2013, 02:56 PM
phone: 808-586-8520
email: repbrower@capitol.hawaii.gov

Get to it folks. I informed both his inbox and his voicemail that he is a piece of shit.

+rep

I think I might just give him a call. Anyone know if we have anyone at all we can run against him in Hawaii?

jonhowe
11-19-2013, 03:00 PM
+rep

I think I might just give him a call. Anyone know if we have anyone at all we can run against him in Hawaii?

I bet that homeless guy he scared would do it. Let's draft him.

I can't get over how shitty this person is. It's astounding.

EBounding
11-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Send this to Drudge too.

dannno
11-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Fixing shopping carts is my specialty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l0KNCzb88Q

thoughtomator
11-19-2013, 03:32 PM
I wish him a long and painful death.

Fukushima may fulfill your wishes there, although it will take a bit of time.

thoughtomator
11-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Well he's a dick..

I'm pretty sure no libertarian would find anything positive in wanton and deliberate destruction of private property. This guy ought to be facing felony charges for each and every attack.

Kotin
11-19-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty sure no libertarian would find anything positive in wanton and deliberate destruction of private property. This guy ought to be facing felony charges for each and every attack.

just thought I'd lighten the mood hehe ;)

invisible
11-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Here's how to take care of this guy: set him up!
Have someone who can prove they have a home to walk around in ratty, dirty clothes, pushing a shopping cart full of junk. Frequent the areas known to be targeted, and eventually he'll be encountered. Have someone else nearby to get it on video. File and press criminal charges for assault and destruction of property. Sue for everything he's worth. End of problem, political career finished.

invisible
11-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Have someone who can prove they have a home to walk around in ratty, dirty clothes, pushing a shopping cart full of junk. Frequent the areas known to be targeted, and eventually he'll be encountered. Have someone else nearby to get it on video. File and press criminal charges for assault and destruction of property. Sue for everything he's worth. End of problem, political career finished.

jonhowe
11-19-2013, 03:59 PM

I volunteer. Who wants to start a chip in to send me to Hawaii?

dannno
11-19-2013, 04:06 PM
I volunteer. Who wants to start a chip in to send me to Hawaii?

I'll take the video footage with my iphone.

Matthew5
11-19-2013, 04:07 PM
....or you could try to help relieve homelessness, but then you wouldn't get to use the cool sledgehammer!

:rolleyes:

phill4paul
11-19-2013, 04:10 PM
A-SS-H-O-LE! What a miserable, petty, little tyrant.

mad cow
11-19-2013, 04:12 PM
I'll take the video footage with my iphone.

I'll take the video footage with my iPhone and stay in a cheaper hotel than Dannno.
But still beachfront.

phill4paul
11-19-2013, 04:15 PM
I'll take the video footage with my iPhone and stay in a cheaper hotel than Dannno.
But still beachfront.

I'll take the video footage and crash rent free with my nieces and stay cheaper than madcow.

angelatc
11-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Look at ya'll volunteering to be felt up by TSA.

dannno
11-19-2013, 04:45 PM
But still beachfront.

Screw a hotel, all I need is a surfboard rental.

Ender
11-19-2013, 04:51 PM
This guy's a real winner. Bet all the Hawaii politicians, kicking out the homeless, are not natives.

You can live on the islands quite easily from the wild fruit and the good weather- heaven help it that some don't live the American Dream of 9-5 slavery.

dannno
11-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Look at ya'll volunteering to be felt up by TSA.

Anything for some tasty waves at Ala Moana..

http://stwww.surfermag.com/files/2011/07/emptybowl-heff_mg_5517.jpg

Maybe head up to Haleiwa.

aGameOfThrones
11-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Homeless and now stuffless. A lot of "less" these people have.

RickyJ
11-19-2013, 05:40 PM
The guy is more mentally unstable than many homeless are.

aGameOfThrones
11-19-2013, 05:47 PM
The guy is more mentally unstable than many homeless are.

But are many homeless/stuffless electable?

enhanced_deficit
11-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Remarkably, this vigilante isn’t just some random Hawaiian, but five-term State Rep. Tom Brower (D).

Noting that he’s “disgusted” with homeless people, Brower told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser about his own personal brand of “justice”: “If I see shopping carts that I can’t identify, I will destroy them so they can’t be pushed on the streets.”

Strange way to "thank" Iraq/Afghan wars troops/veterans among the homeless.

Homelessness soars among US Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans ... (http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2012/12/31/vets-d31.html)
Dec 31, 2012 - Homelessness soars among US Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans ...

Veterans make up 1 in 4 homeless - USA Today (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-11-07-homeless-veterans_N.htm)
usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/.../2007-11-07-homeless-veterans_N.ht...‎
Nov 7, 2007 - Veterans make up one in four homeless people in the United States, ... Foundation: Provides families places to stay near military hospitals | ...

Pericles
11-19-2013, 05:59 PM

No respect for private property. But, we already knew that.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Anything for some tasty waves at Ala Moana..

http://stwww.surfermag.com/files/2011/07/emptybowl-heff_mg_5517.jpg

Maybe head up to Haleiwa.

Ala Moana is the tourist and beginner area (re: Queens). We just had the Vans competition on the North Shore last week which was cool, but unless you've been surfing for a while and know the rip curls in Haleiwa/Waimea/etc. I wouldn't be getting the water this time of year. As for Tom Brower...just lol. As for the Government setting aside 100,000$ to fly the homeless back to their native state...well, that's pretty dumb (though most homeless are from States other than Hawai'i, since most natives live in large families that help each other).

Hell, whenever I walk to Aloha to get a snack there's always a few homeless guys around and it's no biggy. This Tom guy is such an asshole (still lol @ picture in my head of a crazy politician smashing carts with a sledgehammer).

Also, good luck winning an election in Hawai'i as a libertarian. The Aina spirit coupled with rampant progressivism means non-bo.

enhanced_deficit
11-19-2013, 06:07 PM

Its a mixed bag on all sides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQvvGJYQaM

kcchiefs6465
11-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Well he's a dick..

The man is breaking the law.

As a libertarian, there is no bright side to this.

jonhowe
11-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Its a mixed bag on all sides.

Nothing in those sermons is not supported by the Bible.

Which is why I don't take the Bible seriously.

Dianne
11-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Looks like he is on the same drugs Obama/Holder/Pelosi/Graham/McCain are on ... Get those guys into Rehab, and we might have a country again.

Mani
11-19-2013, 11:52 PM

We have an awesome long time RPF poster and advocate, RonPaulHawii, we need to get him on this story and have him run against this douche (or setup this idiot).

oyarde
11-20-2013, 12:58 AM
The ciizens of Wakiki and Ala Moana are tolerating this without destroying the deranged monster ?Sickening cowards, pox .I have axes I can donate to the homeless .

Cleaner44
11-20-2013, 01:35 AM
See something, say something. Someone should report a crazy man running around with a hammer smashing shit, to the police. As soon as they show up they will blast him because they fear for their safety. At a minimum he will get a beat down while the cops scream "stop resisting" over and over.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-20-2013, 04:26 PM
We have an awesome long time RPF poster and advocate, RonPaulHawii, we need to get him on this story and have him run against this douche (or setup this idiot).

RPH is from Kauai not O'ahu. Also, no libertarian is going to win in Hawai'i.

presence
11-21-2013, 09:13 AM
bump

wtf

NorthCarolinaLiberty
11-22-2013, 12:15 AM
There's nothing quite like a coward who picks on vulnerable people. Maybe this tough guy can join the police force so he can shoot 12 lb. dogs.

Mani
11-22-2013, 12:38 AM
Isn't he damaging stolen private property and littering? He's just leaving those destroyed carts on the sidewalk right?

If he hates homeless people, why doesn't he just clobber them with his hammer?

I don't like homeless people...kill homeless people...SMASH....Problem solved....See I'm working so hard for the community...