PDA

View Full Version : Eric Peters Article: Is It Wrong to Work for the Government?

Christian Liberty
11-19-2013, 10:43 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/11/eric-peters/is-it-wrong-to-work-for-the-government/

A reader asks:
“Why is it per se wrong to work for the government? Let’s say you’re working as a firefighter. Or a teacher (presuming you aren’t indoctrinating your students with statism, of course). Or a librarian in a public library. Or a doctor who works at a government hospital. Or someone who builds roads for the government. I could probably think up more examples, but . . I don’t see any NAP violation, at least as such, in taking any of the above jobs.”

It is very wrong, dear reader.

And then obviously, Eric proceeds to answer the question.

The "reader" in question, was me.

I'm curious what you guys think about this.

tod evans
11-19-2013, 10:45 AM
I couldn't do it.

I learned a hard lesson from the Navy, never again.

cajuncocoa
11-19-2013, 10:56 AM
I couldn't do it either. That said, I suppose it's only wrong if it conflicts with your personal views....it wouldn't be wrong for a progressive, for example. But for me, I wouldn't last 20 minutes!! LOL

Red Green
11-19-2013, 10:59 AM
I would say it is ALMOST always wrong to work for the govt, but I had to vote 'no' due to circumstances where it might actually not be wrong. I would say at the least, it is 95% of the time wrong to work for the govt. There are a few instances where depending on the individual, it would be the right thing.

Christian Liberty
11-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Specifically, the article in question is referring to jobs that aren't inherently in and of themselves violating the NAP, the question is whether it is wrong simply because it is a government job (And as such paid by taxes.) Obviously working in any capacity that DOES require violating the NAP is always wrong.

Todd
Well then, any congressman including Dr. Paul is guilty as charged.

Christian Liberty
Well then, any congressman including Dr. Paul is guilty as charged.

Yeah, I agree that Ron Paul proves Eric wrong;)

tod evans
11-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Specifically, the article in question is referring to jobs that aren't inherently in and of themselves violating the NAP, the question is whether it is wrong simply because it is a government job (And as such paid by taxes.) Obviously working in any capacity that DOES require violating the NAP is always wrong.

I do not acknowledge the NAP so my answer was in no way reflective of that position.

Acala
11-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I work for the government and I think it is wrong. But it is less wrong than not meeting my obligations to my children, and that was the choice I had at the time I took the job. Soon I will right that wrong.

BuddyRey
11-19-2013, 12:25 PM
It's not wrong to work for the government if (and only if) you use your position of power to gum up, sabotage, and expose the system from the inside. Claire Wolfe writes extensively on this subject (the three types of libertarian activists; ghosts, agitators, and monkey-wrenchers). Well, let's just say that if we all thought ourselves too high-minded and moral to work for the government, there would be no monkey-wrenchers like Edward Snowden or Chelsea Manning to let us proles know what the overlords have planned for us.

EBounding
11-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Is it wrong to work for a bank? A car company? An energy company? Is it wrong to use public roads that were built from theft?