PDA

View Full Version : George Zimmerman 'pointed a shotgun at his girlfriend'

Constitutional Paulicy
11-19-2013, 10:25 AM
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71192000/jpg/_71192767_zimmerman3.jpg

George Zimmerman 'pointed a shotgun at his girlfriend'
18 November 2013 Last updated at 22:44

A Florida man acquitted of murder in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager has been arrested on charges he pointed a shotgun at his girlfriend.

George Zimmerman, 30, has been jailed in Seminole County, Florida.

Mr Zimmerman was charged with felony aggravated assault, battery, domestic violence and criminal mischief, a sheriff's office spokesman said.

In July, a jury cleared Mr Zimmerman of the February 2012 killing of Trayvon Martin, 17.

more here...... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24995459

video with 911 call audio here..... http://video.foxnews.com/v/2851227202001/george-zimmerman-arrested-again-charged-with-assault/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fvideo+%28Internal+-+Video+-+Latest%29

brandon
11-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Man... I really wanted to sympathize with this guy for a while. His brother seemed so sharp and likable that I figured George had to be as well. But it's really looking like this guy is out of control. I hope he can get the help he needs before he does something really stupid.

aGameOfThrones
11-19-2013, 10:53 AM
He has TMSD

Constitutional Paulicy
11-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Being a cop would suck. Dealing with the darker side of humanity would be draining. Having to deal with the cops who have moved over to the dark side would just force one question their convictions.

Brian4Liberty
11-19-2013, 12:34 PM
This is like the biggest story of the day. MSM is all over it. The National Enquirer media complex. Next up, Bill Clinton had an alien love-child and exclusive pictures of Oprah Winfrey in a bikini.

Nate SY
11-19-2013, 12:46 PM
"Mr Zimmerman's girlfriend said they had argued, and he had broken a glass table in the living room, then retrieved a shotgun and pointed it at her. He then pushed her out the front door and barricaded himself inside, police said." = felony aggravated assault, battery, domestic violence and criminal mischief?

How can he get three charges for the same action? It doesn't surprise me, but I feel like it's some stupid loophole to the idea of double jeapordy. Oh we can't charge him for the same crime twice? WELL, I guess we'll just charge him for three different charges that are the same thing.

Not condoning his actions, but they need to pick one charge.

Also I wonder if the house is his? If so then I wonder how they justify this Criminal Mischief? If it's his house his actions overall become less clearly wrong.

Snew
11-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Not the guy you want as your gun-rights poster boy. Dude seems a bit wacko.

AFPVet
11-19-2013, 01:46 PM
"Mr Zimmerman's girlfriend said they had argued, and he had broken a glass table in the living room, then retrieved a shotgun and pointed it at her. He then pushed her out the front door and barricaded himself inside, police said." = felony aggravated assault, battery, domestic violence and criminal mischief?

How can he get three charges for the same action? It doesn't surprise me, but I feel like it's some stupid loophole to the idea of double jeapordy. Oh we can't charge him for the same crime twice? WELL, I guess we'll just charge him for three different charges that are the same thing.

Not condoning his actions, but they need to pick one charge.

Also I wonder if the house is his? If so then I wonder how they justify this Criminal Mischief? If it's his house his actions overall become less clearly wrong.

They always charge for multiples because the prosecutor may not be able to get one to stick... they go for what they have a better chance of getting a conviction on.

brandon
11-19-2013, 02:04 PM
They always charge for multiples because the prosecutor may not be able to get one to stick... they go for what they have a better chance of getting a conviction on.

And so they can scare the guy out of a trial. "Plead guilty to one of these and we'll drop the rest"

One Man Wolf Pack
11-19-2013, 02:27 PM
He probably had a flashback of the Trevon Martin attack and suffers from PTSD... aquitted :toady:

AFPVet
11-19-2013, 02:28 PM
And so they can scare the guy out of a trial. "Plead guilty to one of these and we'll drop the rest"

... another reason.

Dr.3D
11-19-2013, 02:29 PM
I doubt he did anything the "girlfriend" says he did.

enhanced_deficit
11-19-2013, 02:59 PM

GF's making a false claim about BFs is unheard of.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71192000/jpg/_71192767_zimmerman3.jpg

Two point here.

1- If Zimmerman loses 20 lbs, he would start to look like Obama's son he never had.

2- Depending on what she looks like, freedom stats show that a female may have 100% better odds of coming out alive if gun is pointed at her by Zimmerman in his home jurisdiction vs gun pointed at her in DC jurisdiction by DC Police. (http://images.smh.com.au/2013/10/04/4803095/1_vd-washingtonagain-408x264.jpg)

paulbot24
11-19-2013, 03:35 PM
No offense to the ladies on this forum but a gf or wife who is pissed at the time and/or vindictive later and wants to involve the police can ruin your life faster than rock cocaine.

WM_in_MO
11-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Put this shit in off topic. Seriously.

It's a giant ass distraction, and you all know better than to fall for it.

pcosmar
11-19-2013, 03:41 PM
GF's making a false claim about BFs is unheard of.

]

Not at all,,

But multiple women making the same claim does seem to be a pattern.

moostraks
11-19-2013, 04:05 PM
No offense to the ladies on this forum but a gf or wife who is pissed at the time and/or vindictive later and wants to involve the police can ruin your life faster than rock cocaine.

Sex is irrelevant to the argument you have put forth. I have vindictive exs and they were men. Just sayin'...

AFPVet
11-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Well, I think Zimmerman made some poor choices that led him to be on edge and prone to breaks. He should've immediately changed his name and moved to a rural area in another state. Starting a new life would be a pain in the ass, but it's better than the past haunting you forever.

RickyJ
11-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Not at all,,

But multiple women making the same claim does seem to be a pattern.

Even though Zimmerman may be an a-hole that doesn't mean he didn't shoot Trayvon in self defense. The guy has problems for sure, but murder is not one of them. He belongs behind bars if he did this, which I suspect he did, maybe he can get his life together there before he is released again.

pcosmar
11-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Even though Zimmerman may be an a-hole that doesn't mean he didn't shoot Trayvon in self defense. The guy has problems for sure, but murder is not one of them. He belongs behind bars if he did this, which I suspect he did, maybe he can get his life together there before he is released again.

I dd not say anything about Trayvon.

enhanced_deficit
11-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Put this shit in off topic. Seriously.

It's a giant ass distraction, and you all know better than to fall for it.

+rep, although I think such attitude could sabotage media game plan.

FloralScent
11-19-2013, 06:57 PM
I'll pay attention when, and if he's convicted.

WM_in_MO
11-19-2013, 07:02 PM
I'll pay attention when, and if he's convicted.

Why?

Zippyjuan
11-19-2013, 07:07 PM
But he was a victim. Just protecting himself from his girlfriend.

rpfocus
11-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Adios, Zimmie! I guess his wife was just looking for trouble too.

green73
12-09-2013, 05:07 PM
UPDATE: Zimmerman's Girlfriend Wants to Drop Charges, 'Be With Him'

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmermans-girlfriend-drop-charges/story?id=21153527

jmdrake
12-09-2013, 05:16 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmermans-girlfriend-drop-charges/story?id=21153527

Stockholm syndrome? Women in these cases often drop charges.

pcosmar
12-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Well, I think Zimmerman made some poor choices that led him to be on edge and prone to breaks. He should've immediately changed his name and moved to a rural area in another state. Starting a new life would be a pain in the ass, but it's better than the past haunting you forever.

I thought so too,, but he does seem to keep getting himself in the news.

moostraks
12-09-2013, 06:01 PM

Sounds a bit like battered woman syndrome to me:http://marriage.laws.com/domestic-violence/battered-person-syndrome/stages-of-battered-womens-syndrome/stages-of-battered-womans-syndrome

It is so common for victims of domestic violence to decide to recant their testimony and not follow through on pursuing charges against their intimate partner that some states have passed laws requiring mandatory arrest and prosecution of the cases whether the victim cooperates or not.
If the victim refuses to testify or recants and testifies that the incident did not happen, it makes getting a conviction difficult. The abuser is released from jail, avoids any serious consequences and the cycle of violence is free to repeat itself again in their relationship.

So, what makes these victims change their stories?

Threats of More Violence?

For many years, advocates and counselors working with victims of domestic violence believed that they recanted their stories out of fear of more violence. The thought was that victims changed their mind about pursuing charges because the perpetrators threatened them with more violence.
But recent research has revealed that it is not threats that the abusers use to sway their victims into changing their stories, but a sophisticate emotional appeal that typically progresses through five distinct stages designed to minimize their actions and gain the sympathy of the victim.

The Recantation Process

For security reasons, many jails and detention centers record conversations of telephone calls placed by inmates. The participants know their conversation is being recorded, because an announcement is made at the beginning of the call.
By studying many hours of recorded conversations between male inmates facing felony charges of domestic violence and their female victims, who later decided to recant, researchers were able to gain insight into the recantation process.

Real Abusers, Real Victims

By listening to these exchanges between real abusers and real victims, researchers have identified a five-step process beginning with the victims forcefully defending themselves and ending with them planning with the perpetrator how to change their testimony.
The five stages are as predictable as the cycle of violence that repeats over and over in physically abusive relationships.

The Five Steps of Recantation

Here are the five steps identified by researchers:
Step One: Strong and Resolved - Early telephone conversations usually end up as heated arguments about events that led up to the violence. The victim, in these early calls, is strong and resists the perpetrator's account of events.

The victims are almost always resolved to see the abuser prosecuted for his actions in the first or second telephone calls, but as the calls continue, that resolve begins to erode.

Step Two: Minimizing the Abuse - In later calls, the perpetrator tries to convince the victim that the incident was not that serious. But more importantly in this stage, the abuser tries to gain the sympathy of the victim by casting himself as a victim - suffering in jail, depressed, perhaps suicidal, and missing her and the children.

This is a critical turning point in the process, when the real victim begins to see the perpetrator as a victim and begins trying to soothe and comfort her abuser. Once that happens, the next three steps occur relatively quickly.

Step Three: They Don't Understand Us - Once the abuser has gained the sympathy of the victim, they begin to bond over their love for each other and join together to fight against a world that doesn't understand.

Step Four: Lie for Me - Now that it's them against the system, or the state, or an uncaring society, the abuser simply asks the victim to recant her accusations and she agrees.

Step Five: Developing the Plan - After the victim agrees to change her story, they work together to come up with a plan and develop their stories.

Amy Bonomi, lead author and associate professor of human development and family science at Ohio State University, conducted this first-of-its-kind analysis of actual conversations between abusers and their victims. She believes these findings will give advocates and counselors a new model for how to work with victims of intimate partner violence.
http://alcoholism.about.com/od/abuse/a/Why-Do-Domestic-Violence-Victims-Recant.htm

Unlike this article attests, there is also the fear of what they will do when they get out that strongly motivates the victim to recant. You do not want to be the reason they sit in jail because they WILL eventually get out. BTDTGTTS my ex-husbands were real winners so I speak with some experience on the matter. I could probably tell you if I met the guy in person, but this really has the feel of a domestic violence situation just from the number of incidents that are so chaotic and being denied after the fact by the different women involved.

acptulsa
12-09-2013, 06:07 PM

And I think the only reason the girlfriend isn't admitting the same is because she figures she can just drop the charges and soothe her conscience without facing charges herself for filing a false police report.

As I recall, they never did find that shotgun...

Dr.3D
12-09-2013, 06:17 PM
And I think the only reason the girlfriend isn't admitting the same is because she figures she can just drop the charges and soothe her conscience without facing charges herself for filing a false police report.

I suspect there are more political forces (variables) involved than most people would care to admit and those would be related to the great amount of publicity his recent trial had.

12-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Sounds a bit like battered woman syndrome to me.

Or false accusations by the woman. The court system is extremely biased to lock people up and issue restraining orders purely on ex parte testimony and hearsay.

pcosmar
12-09-2013, 06:38 PM

You mean the one reported by police as the shotgun.

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2013/08/22/kel-tec-shotgun.jpg

I think the guy is "power tripping",, Not everyone has the same reaction to the power in a weapon,, and not all respect that power.

moostraks
12-09-2013, 07:44 PM

Isn't this a different woman? A different incident? I thought that was the estranged wife in a few months ago. http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/26/justice/shellie-zimmerman-interview/index.html

This article reads as if the guns were locked up by the time the police arrived when he was threatening the girlfriend but the wording is vague enough to be questionable. http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/18/justice/florida-george-zimmerman-arrest/

Or false accusations by the woman. The court system is extremely biased to lock people up and issue restraining orders purely on ex parte testimony and hearsay.

I am going by the fact that you have multiple incidents of lashing out and destructive behavior with different people. The level of false accusations this guy is suffering from would be surprising if he were truly an innocent party in all these encounters imo. In my house we have a rule if one person seems to have trouble following them, then the world isn't usually out to get them but rather they might need to look at what they are doing to instigate the situations they are involved in. The new relationship with a girl who is recanting so she can be back with him fits a typical battered pattern. So he either stinks at who he is choosing to hook up with or he is a class a jerk. Considering it isn't just the women he is threatening or assaulted well, my guess would be that he is a violent jerk.

Brian4Liberty
12-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Stockholm syndrome? Women in these cases often drop charges.

And people who make false accusations during break-ups are equally as common. Flip a coin.