PDA

View Full Version : Charity vs State/Federal aid

belian78
11-19-2013, 09:22 AM
So if anyone had been paying attention to the news and weather over the weekend, you would have heard about the 2 F4 tornadoes that ripped through central IL on Sunday. Three towns relatively close together, Metamora and Pekin had over 40 homes each destroyed along with a couple businesses, and Washington that lost between 100-200 homes and a handful of businesses. We've had bad tornadoes in this area periodically, but nothing this destructive and widespread around our 'Heart of Illinois' area. I'll see if I can come back and link photos, but it was just so surreal how fast it happened. Literally in an hour, three towns were just ripped up.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/131118234306-03-weather-1118-horizontal-gallery.jpg
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/131117180710-15-weather-1117-horizontal-gallery.jpg

By Sunday afternoon my FB feed was flooded with people setting up impromptu donation drop off locations for toiletries/towels/blankets/etc, there were a flood of local carpenters/tree services/trucking companies all organizing to help with cleanup and rescue. It really is amazing to see, the donation centers in Washington even started turning folk to Pekin because they had more donations than they needed and/or could handle. Hotels have been offering free rooms to families, landlords with empty units are offering those at reduced rates for victims, animal shelters have been taking in animals and posting their info on FB and other social media trying to get animals reunited with their families, local 'pod' companies donating their units to store victims' belongings until arrangements can be made. All this was organized locally within 48 hours of the event. Truly amazing. *adding some things I forgot* Local grocery stores have been allowing folks w/o power to bring their perishables to be stored in their freezers until power is back on so their food won't spoil. Car rental companies have been offering free or reduced rates on vehicles so victims can get back and forth to work if needed. There's so many other companies that have stepped up as well, it's just amazing.

Unfortunately though, FEMA and it's local counterpart here in CIL has not allowed anyone in to Washington at all yet. They are saying that maybe today or tomorrow it might be cleaned up enough to start allowing residents that absolutely have to, to get in but will still have to abide by the mandatory 6pm curfew. It's been two days that the entirety of the surrounding areas could be helping to get Washington cleaned up and started to get back on track and the county/state won't even let residents in to see to their homes. A couple folks have even been demonized by FEMA, threatening with prosecution if they do not give back donations and tell people to re-donate to Red Cross, money that is already in the hands of victims, so there's nothing to give back. It's just flabergasting really.

I'm rambling I know, forgive me. It's just that this is a perfect example of the efficiency of local efforts and localized charity vs the red tape and bureaucracy of the state. I wanted to share a real life scenario with everyone. Any kind words or thoughts for the victims in these towns are greatly appreciated.

tod evans
11-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Everything government gets involved with they fuck up!

Good on the locals!

belian78
11-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Added a shot CNN got from a helicopter of Washington.

belian78
11-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Well like I said, our community has really rallied around each other and this just really puts a smile on my face. My SO and I have even gotten our home based business in a position to where we will be making a monetary donation to an organization in Washington that is dedicated to keeping the aid local. Let the rotten bastards in Springfield chew on this.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/21/what-one-community-told-fema-that-has-glenn-beck-saying-success-america/

"In the wake of the devastating tornadoes that rocked the Midwest over the weekend, Beck reported that thanks to the efforts and contributions of the American people, a group of individuals in Illinois has recaptured that American spirit and turned away the FEMA trucks."

belian78
11-22-2013, 09:30 AM
A community gives FEMA the boot and it gets crickets here on RPF?

tod evans
11-22-2013, 09:42 AM
I already gave 'em a "good on 'em"...:o

Here's another!

Keith and stuff
11-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Sorry :( The home I was raised in was destroyed by a tornado the year after my mother sold it. I'm not even sure it if was ever rebuilt. But yeah, since most government welfare money doesn't even go to help the folks it was intended to help, government charity isn't very helpful :(