PDA

View Full Version : Boston policemen complain about new plan to watch their movements

tangent4ronpaul
11-19-2013, 04:42 AM
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/11/boston-police-set-to-track-its-own-patrol-cars-via-gps-to-improve-dispatching/

It looks like Boston’s Finest is going to be watched by its own. As the result of new contract negotiations between the City of Boston and the Boston Police Department, police cruisers will potentially be outfitted with GPS devices designed to monitor how cop cars move around the city. The contract includes some additional changes and still needs to be approved by the Boston City Council.

According to the Boston Globe, this new move would put Boston “in league with small-town departments across the state and big-city agencies across the country that have installed global positioning systems in cruisers.”

The Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association did not immediately respond to Ars’ request for comment.

What’s the logic to putting in such a tracking system? It lets dispatchers know where officers are in real time rather than having them wait for a response via radio. Unsurprisingly, some cops don’t like the new change.

“No one likes it. Who wants to be followed all over the place?” said one officer who spoke anonymously to the Globe because department rules forbid police from speaking to the media without authorization. “If I take my cruiser and I meet [reluctant witnesses] to talk, eventually they can follow me and say, 'Why were you in a back dark street for 45 minutes?' It’s going to open up a can of worms that can’t be closed.”

The “Eye of Sauron” never sleeps?

Not surprisingly, civil libertarians are relishing the rank and file's own backlash.

"The irony of police objecting to GPS technology for privacy reasons is hard to miss in the aftermath of United States v. Jones," Woodrow Hartzog, a law professor at the Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, told Ars. "But the officers’ concerns about privacy illustrate just how revealing GPS technology can be. Departments are going to have to confront the chilling effect this surveillance might have on police behavior. On one hand, police departments are likely to see a reduction in many kinds of undesirable behaviors involving an abuse of discretion. However, as we’ve seen in other areas involving continuous and precise surveillance, individuals are likely to refrain from any activities that could be perceived the wrong way, even if they are ultimately legal and socially desirable. Police departments should be very clear about how the GPS technology is to be used and what administrators expect from police officers."
(cont)

-t

Mani
11-19-2013, 04:49 AM
So when a mundane is in a back dark street for 45 minutes it's obviously a crime, and they should be stopped and frisked and harassed, arrested or shot at because of reports of a "suspicious armed person in the area" But if a peace officer does it....It's to speak to a reluctant witness.

aGameOfThrones
11-19-2013, 04:49 AM
http://i.imgur.com/DRVRZGs.gif

Danke
11-19-2013, 05:09 AM
Need to track them to make sure they are shaking down enough mundanes to earn their paychecks.

Elias Graves
11-19-2013, 06:46 AM
So when a mundane is in a back dark street for 45 minutes it's obviously a crime, and they should be stopped and frisked and harassed, arrested or shot at because of reports of a "suspicious armed person in the area" But if a peace officer does it....It's to speak to a reluctant witness.

Reluctant witnesses often require a 45 minute beat down before they talk.

Schifference
11-19-2013, 07:10 AM
Forget the GPS on the cruiser they should put GPS on the officer.

Philhelm
11-19-2013, 08:00 AM
Forget the GPS on the cruiser they should put GPS on the officer.

Yes...yesssss. A rectal insertion would be good.

donnay
11-19-2013, 08:36 AM
When the purges begin, by the powers that be, this technology will help them tremendously. This is what those who 'followers orders' just don't seem to understand.

tod evans
11-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Yes...yesssss. A rectal insertion would be good.

Cranial insertion?

Oh-wait.......Same thing.

tangent4ronpaul
11-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Cranial insertion?

Oh-wait.......Same thing.

OK - you asked for it!

This totally reminds me of a joke...

3 surgeons are talking and the question comes up - what population group is the easiest to operate on?

The first surgeon says Asians. Everything is nice and compact and in their respective sectors. Very easy to work on.

The second surgeon says, nah, nah! - Germans are the easiest to work on - you cut them open and everything is numbered!

Third surgeon pipes in: I got you both beat! - LAWYERS! They only have 2 working parts, their mouths and their ass holes and they are both interchangeable!

-t

phill4paul
11-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Here's a live screenshot of the initial test phase of the system.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=donut+shops+Boston&ll=42.352645,-71.05279&spn=0.041356,0.077162&fb=1&gl=us&hq=donut+shops&hnear=Boston,+Suffolk,+Massachusetts&t=m&fll=42.342813,-71.044292&fspn=0.041363,0.077162&z=14

belian78
11-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Their tears, they are delicious.

limequat
11-19-2013, 11:53 AM
I was thinking prostitutes need 5 minutes for a back alley BJ and 40 minutes to convince her NOT to talk.

Christian Liberty
11-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Their tears, they are delicious.

That said, I have to wonder WHY the government would do this. Generally the State leaves those who are part of it alone. Are cops not part of the "elite" anymore?

donnay
11-19-2013, 12:06 PM
That said, I have to wonder WHY the government would do this. Generally the State leaves those who are part of it alone. Are cops not part of the "elite" anymore?

Law enforcement never were part of the elite. They are just the useful idiots for them to gain control.

Schifference
11-19-2013, 12:07 PM
The amazing thing will be the amount of technical failure when the GPS would put the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time.