PDA

View Full Version : Spying on the NSA

erowe1
11-17-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm just posting this as an idea. I don't have the skills even to begin to implement it. But some people reading this do.

I think there are a lot of basic ways of accumulating huge amounts of data about the NSA little-by-little in small legally obtainable bits at a time.

There would need to be a website, maybe with a wiki format, that people could make anonymous contributions to.

People could contribute information about people they know who are NSA employees. Who they are, where they live, what their work schedule is. What facility they work at, what car they drive and its license plate number, provide pictures of them, etc. NSA employees themselves could contribute things. Obviously the NSA itself would be able to provide disinformation. But that would all just be part of the puzzle.

People, or even unmanned cameras, watching the roads going to NSA facilities could provide more information about what cars drive in and out when, and possibly even identify who's in them. Freely available satellite photography might even help connect this data to patterns of parking in the NSA parking lots.

A lot of this information about personnel could be used to help encourage NSA employees to be whistle blowers.

But as more and more data accumulates, I think it could be used to deduce more things, like which people work together, which units and subunits of the NSA they work for, what kind of work goes on when, and in which locations.

People smarter than I could take extrapolate this out in bigger and better ways than I can think of. But the smartest people of all won't be able to predict what could come of this if thousands of anonymous people got involved, each contributing a little bit of their own ideas and knowledge.

If this is a good idea, then maybe the first step is just spreading the idea around to people who might take an interest in it.

VIDEODROME
11-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Public Wiki page for something like this seems like a really bad idea.

erowe1
11-18-2013, 06:17 AM
Public Wiki page for something like this seems like a really bad idea.

Why?

I mean it would have to be a Tor thingee. Like I said, I don't know enough about this stuff to know exactly how to do it. But it seems to be that it could be done.

tod evans
11-18-2013, 06:22 AM
Permitting government employees anonymity is a major contributing factor to the unaccountable government we all suffer under.

Tod
11-18-2013, 06:23 AM
stalking charges coming in 3, 2,....

tod evans
11-18-2013, 06:33 AM
Quarterly reports published at every county courthouse that disclose name and address of every resident who receives a check from any state or federal agency for any reason and the amount received from which agency.

Transparency, every governments fear...

erowe1
11-18-2013, 08:16 AM
I mean, of all the employees the NSA has, there might be a few whose former families and friends thought died and have new identities, and nobody who lacks a certain level of security clearance knows they work for the NSA, but for the great majority I'm sure that's not the case. These are people whose friends and families know they work for the NSA. I had a college roommate who did after college. I even got called from them and had to answer questions vouching for his character. It was no secret that he worked there. When I lived in DC, I recall other people telling me they worked there. They weren't allowed to say anything about what they did, but they were allowed to say they worked for the NSA. I'm sure that some of the things they don't want us to know about them can be figured out by analysis of all the data that they aren't able to keep from us.

tod evans
11-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Why focus on just the NSA?

That's just one tentacle of the beast...

erowe1
11-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Why focus on just the NSA?

That's just one tentacle of the beast...

No need to focus just on it. CIA, FBI, whatever else.

NSA is the biggest, though. And I'm sure it's the one that secretly spies the most on us.

tod evans
11-18-2013, 09:24 AM

NSA is the biggest, though. And I'm sure it's the one that secretly spies the most on us.

I've gotta wonder if something of this magnitude couldn't be better addressed at the county level?

These tax-ticks live somewhere.....

erowe1
11-18-2013, 10:37 AM
I've gotta wonder if something of this magnitude couldn't be better addressed at the county level?

These tax-ticks live somewhere.....

Yeah. But, at least in the case of NSA, the great majority live within commuting distance of the big NSA HQ in Maryland. I forget what city it's in, but it's about halfway between DC and Baltimore off off US-1 and MD Rt. 32 (I think). Then there's another new one being built in CO (I think).

mjn
11-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Has some merit.

kcchiefs6465
11-18-2013, 12:23 PM

It is a crime to photograph vehicles and license plates of the FBI, probably the NSA too.

I remember hearing about a gang that sent people to take pictures and write down license plate numbers of vehicles in the FBI parking lot. They were arrested for it. I don't remember the crime they were charged with off hand but it was a serious one (probably something along the lines of "intimidation of a public official"). If someone is planning on doing this, know the applicable laws and what you may open yourself up to.