PDA

View Full Version : EPA orders cut in ethanol in gasoline next year, citing risk of engine damage

Natural Citizen
11-17-2013, 06:39 PM
The Environmental Protection Agency wants 15.21 billion gallons of renewable fuels blended into gasoline and diesel next year, down from 16.55 billion gallons this year. Most of it is corn-based ethanol.
The EPA’s proposed biofuel reduction follows concerns from oil companies and some automobile advocates that more than 10 percent ethanol in motor fuel could cause engine damage, a potential issue that’s known as the blend wall.
The EPA said adding more ethanol, at a time that fuel economy is improving, would push the percentage past 10 percent. Nearly all gasoline sold in the United States now has up to 10 percent ethanol, the agency said.

“For the first time, EPA has acknowledged that the blend wall is a dangerous reality and that breaching it would have serious impacts on America’s fuel supply and would be harmful for American consumers,” said Jack Gerard, who leads the American Petroleum Institute, the oil industry’s main trade group.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/15/4624584/epa-orders-cut-in-ethanol-in-gasoline.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/15/4624584/epa-orders-cut-in-ethanol-in-gasoline.html

DamianTV
11-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Um, I think this may actually be good? Im skeptical however. Ethanol only damages your engine six months out of the year. Bet the Ethanol companies are pissed!

acptulsa
11-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Wait a minute. Since when does the EPA care about engine damage?

For that matter, since when is engine damage the EPA's concern? What possible excuse could it have for even considering it? Concerns that consumers who are both wise and environmentally conscious will change their oil often, thereby saving their engines, but generating a lot of used motor oil to dispose of?

Hardly surprising that the API would be right there to praise this. They obviously paid for it.

DamianTV
11-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Wait a minute. Since when does the EPA care about engine damage?

I doubt they do, and Im sure it is all about money in dirty backroom deals. They most likely get their Science from their Horoscopes.

limequat
11-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Ethanol is better for engines than gasoline. Burns cleaner. Certain rubber materials don't like it, but most late-model vehicles are impervious.

11-17-2013, 08:21 PM
The issue is only for 20+ year old cars that have rubber fuel system parts and carburetors. The ethanol will swell and break down the rubber plus a carburetor can't compensate for the leaner mixture of ethanol. Any car newer than mid to late 80's will have nitrilite fuel hoses and fuel injection. The nitrilite hose aren't affected by ethanol and fuel injection can richen the air/fuel ratio generally 15%, so a 10% ethanol blend is safe and even has a margin of error. If you want to run an old car on ethanol all you need to do is replace the rubber hoses and jet the carb a bit richer. It's not a big deal an hour of work and less than $50 and you're done. My turbo car likes the ethanol a lot, it more knock resisitant so it will take more timing and make more power, the tradeoff is ethanol has less energy than gasoline so it gets worse mpg.

acptulsa
11-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Ethanol is better for engines than gasoline. Burns cleaner. Certain rubber materials don't like it, but most late-model vehicles are impervious.

True. But there's another side to it that makes ethanol worse for engines. Both ethanol and gasoline dilute lubrication oil, but gasoline isn't a bad lubricant in itself. Alchohol is. That's why ethanol is very unpopular with wise owners of two-cycle engines.

With a four cycle engine (like all gasoline car engines available in the U. S. today) there's no worry provided you keep your oil changed.

muzzled dogg
11-17-2013, 08:52 PM
diesel ftw

11-17-2013, 09:26 PM
True. But there's another side to it that makes ethanol worse for engines. Both ethanol and gasoline dilute lubrication oil, but gasoline isn't a bad lubricant in itself. Alchohol is. That's why ethanol is very unpopular with wise owners of two-cycle engines.

With a four cycle engine (like all gasoline car engines available in the U. S. today) there's no worry provided you keep your oil changed.

I had a 2 stroke car, I got it to run ok on the E10 ethanol gas, it wasn't a big deal. Got rid of the rubber and jetted the carb richer. Didn't have any engine trouble in the time I had it.

diesel ftw

They put it in diesel now too.

jbauer
11-17-2013, 09:35 PM
This is all about money. Someone paid someone. Nothing more nothing less.

tod evans
11-17-2013, 09:39 PM
New and improved usually isn't.

Icymudpuppy
11-17-2013, 09:55 PM
In your car newer car, during dry spells, Ethanol won't hurt. In your chainsaw, weedwhacker, and other such two strokes, avoid it like the plague for the lubrication issues mentioned above. Also avoid it in wet weather, and on all marine engines. Ethanol absorbs water, and water in your engine can cause all kinds of problems.

trey4sports
11-17-2013, 09:57 PM
oh good, they figured out what I knew two years ago. It's a good thing they didn't make a bunch of mandates based on faulty research, oh wait...

vita3
11-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Good move

Henry Rogue
11-18-2013, 11:50 AM
I had a 2 stroke car,
Was it a Trabant?

pcosmar
11-18-2013, 12:13 PM
I had a 2 stroke car, I got it to run ok on the E10 ethanol gas, it wasn't a big deal. Got rid of the rubber and jetted the carb richer. Didn't have any engine trouble in the time I had it.

Yes,, some crap cars had 2 cycles.

When I bought my snowmobile I ordered a 4 stroke.. I have run quite enough 2 stroke engines.

11-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Was it a Trabant?

No a Subaru 360

11-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Was it a Trabant?

No a Subaru 360

catfeathers
11-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Was it a Trabant?

I saw a Trabant at a used car dealership a while back. If I could afford to, I'd buy it. Not sure I'd drive it much but it would be an interesting novelty.

pcosmar
11-19-2013, 12:32 PM
No a Subaru 360

Japans attempt at a Volkswagen.

HOLLYWOOD
11-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Buy diesel... done

PS: Unleaded has always been bad for engines, but MTBE pushed by government was far worse, destroying everything within the fuel system and contaminating the ground-drinking waters... until banned. Government and their Fascists partners were never held liable.

11-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Japans attempt at a Volkswagen.

Yeah it looked like a smaller beetle.

It ran good, but I always had trouble with the brakes. It got frustrating.