PDA

View Full Version : Christie supports financial aide/in-state tution in N.J. to all illegals in the U.S.

Dianne
11-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Keep in mind, New Jersey already has the highest property taxes in the United States.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/11/nj_senate_panel_advances_bill_for_in-state_tuition_financial_aid_to_undocumented_immigr ants.html

N.J. bill to offer in-state tuition, financial aid to immigrants in the country illegally gains momentum

After a decade-long effort by advocates, a bill that would charge in-state tuition to undocumented immigrants who grew up in New Jersey appears well on its way to landing on the governor’s desk.

The state Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee today voted eight to three with one abstention to approve the measure (S2479), which advocates say will affect tens of thousands of New Jersey residents.

“This community has waited long enough. Let’s not look for excuses to say no. Let’s look for reasons to say yes,” said Senate President Stephen Sweeney (D-Gloucester), who has lent his name to the bill as a prime sponsor.

The bill now heads for a vote in the full Senate on Monday, where it’s expected to pass. Assembly leaders say they expect to pass it soon as well.

Under the bill, undocumented immigrants who attended high school in New Jersey for three or more years, graduated, and filed an affidavit saying they plan to legalize their immigration status as soon as legally possible would be able to get lower in-state tuition rates at New Jersey’s public colleges and universities.

The undocumented immigrant students would also be eligible for state financial aid under the Senate version of the bill. Incoming Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto (D-Hudson), a Cuban immigrant, said today that he expects the Assembly version will incorporate that aspect — which had been part of a separate bill —as well.

Advocates said it doesn’t make sense for the state to provide K-12 education to undocumented students — which federal law requires — and then refuse to treat them the same as citizens once they graduate.

“After having educated these students from kindergarten through twelfth grade, what purpose does it serve to penalize them by not allowing them to better themselves?” said Frank Argote-Freyre, president of the Latino Action Network.

In-state tuition is available to undocumented immigrants in 16 other states.

Giancarlo Tello, 23, immigrated to New Jersey from Peru when he was six years old. He didn’t find out he was undocumented until his sophomore year in high school, when his mother told him he could not apply for a driver’s license. Now, he attends Rutgers-Newark part-time and pays out-of-state tuition.

“If you consider me a fellow resident of New Jersey, if you believe I deserve an education, a chance at the future, then I urge you all to vote yes on this bill,” Tello told the committee.

Three elected officials from cities with large Hispanic populations — Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop, Perth Amboy Mayor Wilda Diaz and Plainfield Mayor Adrian Mapp — were also in Trenton to push for the bill.

“We all agree that in order to break that cycle of poverty that exists in this country and exists in places like Jersey City, it really starts with investing in education,” Fulop said at a press conference before the committee meeting. “To invest in a child’s education K through 12 and then turn your back on them is really foolish.”

All eight Democrats on the committee voted in favor of the legislation. And Gov. Chris Christie — while refusing to answer detailed questions about the bill — has indicated he supports the idea. Nevertheless, three out of the committee’s four Republicans voted no, while one abstained.

State Sen. Jennifer Beck (R-Monmouth) said she abstained because a loophole in the bill could allow out-of-state residents – regardless of their immigration status – to qualify for in-state tuition if they attend private high school in New Jersey. She also said New Jersey residents could move to other states for years, then return and qualify for in-state tuition because they went to high school here.

“I don’t want to vote against the bill. I’m just going to abstain today and hopefully by the time we get to the floor Monday we can find a resolution for those two issues,” Beck said.

But state Sen. Joseph Pennacchio (R-Morris), who voted no, said he didn’t think it would be fair that “a struggling family of American citizens in a neighboring state would pay more than an undocumented student.”

Only one member of the public testified against the bill. Pat DeFilippis, a New Jersey representative for the Federation for American Immigration Reform, read a letter from the organization’s state and local director, Dale Wilcox.

“Many New Jersey schools, colleges and universities are experiencing severe budget shortages as a result of the weakened economy and the state debt crisis,” read the letter, which was addressed to Christie. “Granting in-state tuition rates to illegal aliens would only serve to further damage and strain delicate budgets and impose additional burdens on New Jersey taxpayers.”

Christie's action on the bill is uncertain. He worked hard to appeal to Hispanic voters and won 51 percent of their votes in his re-election last week, according to exit polls.

State Sen. Teresa Ruiz (D-Essex), a prime sponsor of the bill, said the governor had not disclosed to her any decision on the measure.

This story has been edited to reflect the correct bill number. It's S2479, not S2468

Kords21
11-17-2013, 10:53 AM
That'll go over great in Iowa!

Root
11-17-2013, 12:09 PM
“This community has waited long enough. Let’s not look for excuses to say no. Let’s look for reasons to say yes,” said Senate President Stephen Sweeney (D-Gloucester), who has lent his name to the bill as a prime sponsor.

These fucking dolts just want to pass bills so they can use it as a bullet point of accomplishments on their next re-election flyer. He might as well say "let's not be analytical and use critical thinking skills and objectively evaluate the effects, let's just pass some shit because it feels good."

This asshole is also the #1 gun grabber in NJ, just got re-elected this month too.

Keith and stuff
11-17-2013, 12:28 PM
This is great news for 49 other states! Thank you Christie for attracting illegal for the other 49 states to NJ. Now if he could just increase NJ taxes again and give them free health care, that would really help out the taxpayers in the other 49 states.

VoluntaryAmerican
11-17-2013, 01:15 PM
This is great news for 49 other states! Thank you Christie for attracting illegal for the other 49 states to NJ. Now if he could just increase NJ taxes again and give them free health care, would would really help out the taxpayers in the other 49 states.

19 other states have this too, according to the article. I disagree with the financial aid part, but the in-state tuition isn't really a big deal.

And while we are on the topic of states screwing up, your state just accepted Medicaid expansion along with NJ.

Keith and stuff
11-17-2013, 01:33 PM
19 other states have this too, according to the article. I disagree with the financial aid part, but the in-state tuition isn't really a big deal.

And while we are on the topic of states screwing up, your state just accepted Medicaid expansion along with NJ.
NH hasn't accepted it yet, but along with ME likely will either this year or next year.

Edit: NH just rejected it during a special session. So it looks like 2014 will be the year NH, ME, UT, MO and PA so on decide this issue.

VoluntaryAmerican
11-17-2013, 02:04 PM
NH hasn't accepted it yet, but along with ME likely will either this year or next year. And VA might expand it, illegally, just like the Republican governor of OH did. And as time goes on, other states will likely expand. For example, UT and MO are considering expanding.

But back to the subject, so this is good news for taxpayers in 49 states but really good for taxpayers in 30 states, then. Thanks for that info. I wonder if anyone will develop flyers or do ads in areas with lots of illegals and promote colleges in these 19 states, plus NJ if it passes there. It might be interesting.

Thanks for the info too.

Keith and stuff
11-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the info too.

Most of it came from this link. http://www.advisory.com/Daily-Briefing/Resources/Primers/MedicaidMap

11-17-2013, 02:07 PM
I can see maybe giving them the in state rate if they have attended school their whole life in the state and their illegal status is no fault of their own(parents brought them here illegally). Yeah it does use some public funds, but I think we can compromise a bit.

But financial aid to illegals? No way. Get citizenship if you want it.

I'm all for giving green cards to illegals who want one, but am totally against any welfare for them.

Dianne
11-17-2013, 02:30 PM
This is great news for 49 other states! Thank you Christie for attracting illegal for the other 49 states to NJ. Now if he could just increase NJ taxes again and give them free health care, would would really help out the taxpayers in the other 49 states.

That's exactly what I was thinking. How generous of him, lol.

RandallFan
12-29-2013, 09:47 PM
It is a good for defeating Christie. It is what sunk Rick Perry not his gaffe. Tuition for illegals is the worst pandering idea. It is one thing to use illegals for cheap labor which big business and some voters agree with. But once you start openly subsidizing them it is not popular at all.

Anti Federalist
12-30-2013, 12:37 AM
LOL...Meet your GOP candidate to go up against Hillary.

Christie/King 2016.

Zippyjuan
12-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Not exactly "all illegals in the US".

Under the bill, undocumented immigrants who attended high school in New Jersey for three or more years, graduated, and filed an affidavit saying they plan to legalize their immigration status as soon as legally possible would be able to get lower in-state tuition rates at New Jersey’s public colleges and universities.

12-30-2013, 12:07 PM

Right, under those particular circumstances, I think compromising is ok.

Keith and stuff
12-30-2013, 12:30 PM

1 is way too many. The entire nation is falling apart because of the 100 trillion or so debt. Burning money that doesn't exist seems like a bad government policy.

Dianne
12-30-2013, 02:35 PM
1 is way too many. The entire nation is falling apart because of the 100 trillion or so debt. Burning money that doesn't exist seems like a bad government policy.

I would think this one issue alone will destroy any ambition he has to be POTUS.

VoluntaryAmerican
12-30-2013, 03:05 PM
OP's title is false and the article is old now. Christie did not support tuition for illegal immigrants, threatened to veto it. But he will support in-state tuition.

Christie today plans to sign legislation that would allow unauthorized immigrants who graduated high school in New Jersey after attending for at least three years to be eligible for the lower in-state rates at public higher educational institutions, including in-county rates at community colleges.

But first, he’ll conditionally veto the bill (S2479) the state Assembly plans to send him this afternoon. Christie will strike a provision that would make the students eligible for state financial aid programs, including Tuition Aid Grants (TAG). Democrats have agreed to concur with the conditional veto, sending it once again to Christie for his signature.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/12/christie_and_democrats_reach_agreement_on_dream_ac t.html

Tywysog Cymru
12-30-2013, 03:45 PM
LOL...Meet your GOP candidate to go up against Hillary.

Christie/King 2016.

They can split the Liberal vote!

LibForestPaul
12-30-2013, 03:49 PM
But financial aid to illegals? No way. Get citizenship if you want it.

I remember when I received financial aid I had to show proof of selective service. Do tell how this works now?