PDA

View Full Version : Child's Rare Bone Disease Leads Charges Against Dad

aGameOfThrones
11-15-2013, 11:40 PM
t all started with a simple diaper change.

Andrew Huber heard his infant daughter’s hip pop and immediately took her to Children’s Medical Center in Dallas. Tests revealed that little Kenley, just 3 months old during that hospital visit in August 2012, had multiple fractures.

Doctors determined the fractures to be “non-accidental injury” and diagnosed "suspected physical abuse of a child," according to local Dallas affiliate WFAA, which first reported the story. When Andrew's wife, Bria Huber, who had been in Chicago on a business trip, returned that night, she was told by police that her husband was to blame.

“I am the mom before I’m the wife,” Bria Huber tells Yahoo Shine, recalling what she told the authorities at the time. “I can’t fathom this, but I’ll do whatever it takes.”

Bria Huber was up that night, going through every moment of her life with Andrew, her husband of six years, as well as his time with their newborn. She realized, “This can’t be.”

The next day, she began challenging the doctors’ ruling, asking them to do more testing.

“I knew I hadn’t done anything wrong,” Andrew Huber tells Yahoo Shine. “The only explanation was something was wrong with Kenley. That was the only way to explain what had happened.” The couple hired a lawyer, but on Feb. 28, Andrew Huber was indicted by a Denton County Grand Jury.

Bria Huber was allowed to move to her parents’ Houston home to keep custody of her daughter and be supervised “at all times.” Her husband was allowed to see his daughter only if a court-appointed supervisor was present. And Bria Huber began a months-long process of trying to uncover Kenley's medical condition.

Through a remote connection, Bria Huber met another North Texas couple, Rana and Chad Tyson. “Our stories are identical,” Rana Tyson, a 33-year-old nurse, tellsYahoo Shine. Tyson lost custody of her twin girls when they were 4 weeks old, after one was found to have multiple unexplained fractures.

The Tysons' three daughters were put under the care of grandparents for five months, until the twins were eventually diagnosed with a connective-tissue disorder called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS), which causes bones to be especially susceptible to fractures.

"One of the main symptoms is the underlying structure of the body, including the bones and joints, is fragile. So you get more fractures,” Dr. Golder Wilson, the Dallas geneticist who diagnosed the Tyson twins, told Dallas station WFAA. “And therefore, just handling a baby routinely, like any parent would do, can lead to a fracture."

With this new information, Bria Huber found out that she actually has the disorder herself. “I had all these crazy symptoms throughout my life,” she says. “I can dislocate any joint in my body.” Her daughter was also diagnosed with EDS in July and, on Oct. 2, the case against Andrew Huber was dismissed.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/rare-bone-disease-wrong-led-to-charges-of-child-abuse-231506371.html

tod evans
11-16-2013, 01:40 AM
It's for the children...:rolleyes:

belian78
11-16-2013, 10:08 AM
When it was just me and my son, I faced the looks every day while we would be out and about. Forget about it when I took my nieces out somewhere, people have no filter and would openly look at me as if they are deciding whether or not to call the police on me for kidnapping. I remember even seeing a billboard with a man's hand holding a child's and the caption insinuating the child was a victim in some way, that one I wrote the paper about.

acptulsa
11-16-2013, 10:11 AM
If progressives weren't presumptuous, they wouldn't be progressives.

But that isn't the problem. The problem is that they keep supporting tyranny, i.e. power for power's sake, by codifying presumptuousness into law.

They couldn't get away with it if more of the people who fancy themselves conservative fought for their principles. But, of course, most people who fancy themselves conservative can't even articulate why their positions are moral.

And if you try to teach that thing in a school, you'll soon be unemployed.

GunnyFreedom
11-16-2013, 10:48 AM
I think I saw this exact story on a TV show years and years back, actually.

Christian Liberty
11-16-2013, 11:28 AM
When it was just me and my son, I faced the looks every day while we would be out and about. Forget about it when I took my nieces out somewhere, people have no filter and would openly look at me as if they are deciding whether or not to call the police on me for kidnapping. I remember even seeing a billboard with a man's hand holding a child's and the caption insinuating the child was a victim in some way, that one I wrote the paper about.

Could that billboard be found on the internet anywhere? Not saying I don't believe you (believe me, I do) but I'd love to be able to see it for myself.

Tyranny indeed.

If progressives weren't presumptuous, they wouldn't be progressives.

But that isn't the problem. The problem is that they keep supporting tyranny, i.e. power for power's sake, by codifying presumptuousness into law.

They couldn't get away with it if more of the people who fancy themselves conservative fought for their principles. But, of course, most people who fancy themselves conservative can't even articulate why their positions are moral.

And if you try to teach that thing in a school, you'll soon be unemployed.

They can't articulate why their positions are moral, because they aren't moral in any way. Mind you, they might be closer to moral than the progressives (Depending on who it is calling themselves "Conservative" of course) but they aren't moral. Conservatism is still immoral.

Particularly for the conservative Christian, most of them spin themselves into hoops over Romans 13 to the point where anytime they encourage disobeying government, support the American revolution, etc. they are inconsistent with their own foundations. Their own foundations, of course, are wrong.

Anarcho-capitalism is the system that is actually moral.

belian78
11-16-2013, 12:06 PM
I have no idea if it could be found or not honestly, it's been well over 5 years since I've seen it and it was the only time I saw something that bad. I must not have been the only one to complain about it, it didn't stay up long.

angelatc
11-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Greater good, people!!!!!

Does it really matter if a few adults are needlessly persecuted as long as we keep the children safe?