PDA

View Full Version : Paul calls Bevin 'good, honest, Christian man'

jct74
11-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Paul calls Bevin 'good, honest, Christian man'

BY BRUCE SCHREINER AND ROGER ALFORD
The Associated Press
November 15, 2013

FRANKFORT, KY. — Tea party darling Rand Paul endorsed Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell long ago, but that didn't stop him Friday from sharing kind words about McConnell's GOP primary challenger, Louisville businessman Matt Bevin.

"I think he's a good, honest, Christian man," Paul told reporters in Louisville, shortly after Bevin officially filed to run against McConnell in next May's GOP primary in Kentucky. "I'm not saying anything bad about Matt Bevin."

McConnell campaign manager Jesse Benton said later Paul "misspoke a little" in assessing Bevin. He attributed it to Paul not knowing McConnell's challenger well.

"I don't know exactly why those words came out of Sen. Paul's mouth," said Benton, who managed Paul's successful 2010 general election Senate campaign in Kentucky.

Benton's own assessment of Bevin: "He does have a long record of stretching and bending the truth to suit his purposes."

Bevin delivered candidacy papers to the secretary of state's office, then led a campaign rally in the Capitol Rotunda with about 50 supporters where he praised Paul while taking shots at McConnell.

read more:
http://www.kentucky.com/2013/11/15/2932474/bevin-officially-files-for-us.html

RonPaulFanInGA
11-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Crossing my fingers that Benton can win this primary for Bevin.

TaftFan
11-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Rand is to McConnell as Bill Clinton is to Obama. Superficially supporting but secretly undermining.

erowe1
11-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Please Jesse, get Rand to despise you if he doesn't yet.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Please Jesse, get Rand to despise you if he doesn't yet.

The third time is not a charm. Benton failed in 2008 and failed again in 2012.

[Insert Einstein insanity quote here]

TaftFan
11-15-2013, 10:44 PM
I see David Adams, Rand's former campaign manager, said this in the comments:

The headline should read "Rand Paul rescinds McConnell endorsement." Seriously, prove me wrong.

Rand should pull a James Dobson.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right-now/2010/05/james_dobson_endorses_rand_pau.html

Brian4Liberty
11-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Benton is an employee, paid to help his employer.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-16-2013, 01:14 AM
Benton is an employee, paid to help his employer.

Right, but an employer should get the best man available, and not hire someone because he is your daughter's husband (nepotism).

Ron Paul didn't bring anyone from his 2008 campaign back in 2012 except Benton. Now why was that?

WD-NY
11-16-2013, 01:29 AM
So did Rand actually say this or is the AP/msm spinning a bunch of bs (in hopes of hurting both Rand & McConnel)?

phill4paul
11-16-2013, 01:31 AM
Because, somehow, being good and honest isn't quite enough.

jtstellar
11-16-2013, 01:59 AM
Because, somehow, being good and honest isn't quite enough.

whose standard are you using?

the american mass?

compromise
11-16-2013, 03:02 AM
Paul wants Bevin to win but also wants to get the benefits McConnell brings until 2015.

GregSarnowski
11-16-2013, 03:55 AM
Rand is to McConnell as Bill Clinton is to Obama. Superficially supporting but secretly undermining.

Bill Clinton really screwed Obama on the whole keeping your insurance debacle. He might have been able to whether the storm but when Bill came out and said that Obama should "keep his promise" not 48 hours later there was an about face. It's basically doomed the whole legislation and possibly his presidency.

Maybe he's setting the stage for Hillary to come in and argue for "universal health care"? Although that would be a risky move and I doubt she would want to go that far left. It just seems like her prospects for getting elected hinge on public sentiment for the Democrats and Bill isn't helping in that regard.

wetroof
11-16-2013, 04:46 AM
Either outcome has it's benefits for Rand. I think endorsing McConnell made sense - but I thought this will entail campaigning for Mitch. He doesn't want to be the like RNC who abandoned Cuccinelli.

eduardo89
11-16-2013, 09:27 AM
The third time is not a charm. Benton failed in 2008 and failed again in 2012.

[Insert Einstein insanity quote here]

Didn't matter who was managing Ron's campaign, he wasn't going to win.

Didn't Jesse manage Rand's 2010 campaign?

ObiRandKenobi
11-16-2013, 11:54 AM
lol rand is cool.

Christian Liberty
11-16-2013, 12:12 PM

I don't doubt Ron wouldn't win regardless, there are simply too many sheep in the GOP. But Jesse Benton is a snake.

Tywysog Cymru
11-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Bevin will be the first person I have the pleasure of voting for.

green73
11-16-2013, 01:30 PM

He took over after Rand had won the primary. Satan(R) could have won that race from that point on.

Slutter McGee
11-16-2013, 01:54 PM
He took over after Rand had won the primary. Satan(R) could have won that race from that point on.

Benton is an idiot. I dont have any hatred for him like some people here do, but if you want to be the man behind the curtain, you shut your fucking trap and do your job. Which is to be invisible. Nobody should know your name.

Slutter McGee

Christian Liberty
11-16-2013, 02:45 PM

Doesn't Satan already control the other 99 (maybe 98) senate seats?;)

RonPaulFanInGA
11-16-2013, 10:27 PM

David Adams did during the primary, when Paul came from behind and won against all odds over Grayson.

Benton took over during the general election. Rand Paul was pretty much assured to win that in what was a huge GOP year, and in a deep-red state when it comes to national politics. Also, Politico at the time (can't find it now) had a story that essentially said Benton was just a figure-head for Ron Paul supporters, and that the NRSC was in real control of Paul's Senate campaign.