PDA

View Full Version : Alan Keyes is running

ARealConservative
06-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Anybody else hear the rumor that Keyes is considering a GOP run?

I'm not a big fan of Keyes, but he does have some of it right. For instance his views on military intervention are quite similar to Dr. Paul's.

but otherwise, he doesn't seem to want the fed to get out of the business of the states.

RJB
06-25-2007, 01:34 PM
He says what's on his mind and is honest about it. I have respect for polar opposites like him and Kucinich for their honesty, but they are nothing to the good Dr.

FSP-Rebel
06-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Keyes also believes in national service for every kid graduating h.s. for two years. This comes from one of his prior campaigns. I don't care for him period

ARealConservative
06-25-2007, 01:39 PM
I used to like Keyes, but in his run agaisnt Obama he said some things that gave me the chills.

Mani
06-25-2007, 01:42 PM
I see a petition for people asking him to run, it has 875 signatures, but they are asking him to run, it does not say anywhere that he's running.

I do know some conservatives that like him and supporting him in previous elections that now support Ron Paul.

ARealConservative
06-25-2007, 01:47 PM
I see a petition for people asking him to run, it has 875 signatures, but they are asking him to run, it does not say anywhere that he's running.

I do know some conservatives that like him and supporting him in previous elections that now support Ron Paul.

Here is where I read it:

http://cycloneconservatives.blogspot.com/2007/06/dr-alan-keyes-likes-to-join.html

Bison
06-25-2007, 01:57 PM
He is a strong pro-life candidate and will get much of his support from religious conservatives. He has also spoke at several Constitution Party (http://www.constitutionparty.com) events and may grab some support from there as well.

But The Constitution Party members are also very fond of Ron Paul for obvious reasons. He also leads the 2008 Presidential poll found on the Constitution party website. He is currently at 55% of the votes.

foofighter20x
06-25-2007, 02:00 PM
You mean that guy is still in politics after his humiliating defeat against Obama? Like we need a potential rematch of that! :rolleyes:

Original_Intent
06-25-2007, 02:02 PM
I have supported Keyes in the past I think he is very principled but imo is nowhere near Dr. Paul. He might make a decent VP choice, although I have seen others that I think are as good or better (Stossel, Williams)

Scribbler de Stebbing
06-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Does Keyes have something against Ron Paul to make him want to split the vote? RP has the market cornered on liberty, but I can see some people who would otherwise be RP supporters going with Keyes. Maybe he is angling for that VP spot. If that's right about 2 years' mandatory service, I'd be against him in a NY minute.

mikelovesgod
06-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Keyes is a threat to Paul's base. Don't be fooled into thinking that he isn't. I am a big fan of Keyes for many years and he is exceptionally articulate. Why he is doing this is almost bizarre. He gains nothing but hurts Dr. Paul's chances.

I disagree with his approach. If he wanted to run he should have pushed the envelope earlier. His 2 year min service to the military, if true, should disqualify him from all of our minds. We must make sure that is true before we hoist it upon him as his belief.

KingTheoden
06-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I used to like Keyes, but in his run agaisnt Obama he said some things that gave me the chills.

He acted like a total lunatic. Either he was trying to get Obama elected or is beyond incompetent.

mikelovesgod
06-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Keyes is pro-war in the Middle East:

"In this case, it's surely true that the best defense lies in staying on the offensive. (This is something most leaders among the Democrats prefer to ignore. I guess they would rather score political points at home than keep terrorists at bay abroad. Of course, these leaders will win no political support from careful American voters once they realize that when Democrats say they will bring the troops home, what they are really saying is that they will bring the war home. I can see why our enemies would prefer this, but not why any sensible American would agree with them. Better that our armed forces fight terrorists in Baghdad than that our civilians die at the hands of terrorists in Dallas or L.A.)

"Now it may be hard for Americans to accept the notion that their safety depends on accepting a certain level of commitment of armed force abroad in order to live safely here at home. But as long as some forces in this world are organized with terror against us in mind, it may be a fact of life. We must continually disrupt their activities and their intentions before they have a chance to form and implement their deadly schemes against us."

http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/keyes/070520

Sorry Alan, you cannot enslave your own people to rid out another. Terror at home is worse than terror abroad. To think our gov't can't use it against us is madness.

sandersondavis
06-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Keyes also believes in national service for every kid graduating h.s. for two years. This comes from one of his prior campaigns. I don't care for him period

I view compulsory national service equivalent to involuntary servitude (slavery). I don't care if it is the draft (serving in the military) or being sent to the inner city to teach literacy.

Some well meaning people say that a draft is necessary in times of national emergency. I say BS. Citizens of this country have always risen to meet any threat.

Remember the rush to enlist after the 9/11 attacks. Those young men and women signed up freely out of a sense of duty and honor and I applaud them. Now enlistments are falling off as it becomes clear that the war in Iraq is a sham. If people won't freely join the military in times of need then it is because they don't believe that the war and/or country is worth fighting for. That makes it a war that should not be fought.

Original_Intent
06-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Wow, I just lost a LOT of respect for Alan Keyes, who I have been quite a fan of for years. Damn, he has swallowed the establishment line hook, line, and sinker.

Original_Intent
06-25-2007, 02:54 PM
OK, I just went and read the entire article and have regained some of my regard for Keyes.

In the article he is supportive of fighting against terrorists but acknowledges that our involvement in Iraq has had questionable effectiveness in that regard.

I thought the article as a whole was decent, the above quoted paragraph was by far the one that I had most disagreement with, and feel that it needs to be read in context with the rest of the article.

Not that I would support Alan if he announced - not by a long shot. Ron Paul is THE man!

mdh
06-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Alan Keyes also kicked his daughter out of his home over political disagreements, and basically disowned her and said she's going to hell. Everything I've read about Keyes leads me to believe he's a genuinely evil cold-hearted individual, with no care besides his political ambition.

mikelovesgod
06-25-2007, 03:01 PM
OK, I just went and read the entire article and have regained some of my regard for Keyes.

In the article he is supportive of fighting against terrorists but acknowledges that our involvement in Iraq has had questionable effectiveness in that regard.

I thought the article as a whole was decent, the above quoted paragraph was by far the one that I had most disagreement with, and feel that it needs to be read in context with the rest of the article.

Not that I would support Alan if he announced - not by a long shot. Ron Paul is THE man!

Let me ask you this... do you agree that we should keep fighting them over there so they don't come over here? He seems to advocate this strategy to make it a "war" without declaring it so.

Please explain and defend what you mean. To say he questions aspects of Iraq without repudiating what's happened there is an atrocity. We should have never invaded Iraq on the grounds of regime change. I cannot see any justification for it unless they attacked us or had plans to attack us in the immediate future.

angrydragon
06-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Who is Alan Keyes? Never heard of him.

LibertyEagle
06-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I used to like Alan Keyes a lot, but I think he crossed the Rubicon some time back.