PDA

View Full Version : How Silicon Valley turned on President Obama

CaseyJones
11-14-2013, 04:40 PM
http://theweek.com/article/index/252729/how-silicon-valley-turned-on-president-obama

In the months leading up to the 2012 presidential election, Silicon Valley was squarely in President Obama's corner.

Google's executive chairman coached Obama's campaign team; executives from Craigslist, Napster, and Linkedin helped him fundraise; and when the dust settled, Obama had won nine counties in the liberal and tech-heavy Bay Area, scoring 84 percent of the vote in San Francisco. But a little over a year later, following explosive allegations from former NSA contractor Edward Snowden that the government is exploiting tech companies to spy on Americans, some members of Silicon Valley are taking a new perspective: "F--- these guys."

That's what Brandon Downey, a security engineer with Google, wrote late last month, upon learning that the NSA had broken into Google and Yahoo and was exploiting the data of millions of users, allegedly without the companies' knowledge. He added, "We suspected this was happening, [but] it still makes me terribly sad. It makes me sad because I believe in America...The U.S. has to be better than this."

Executives at Google, which issued a polite denial when the first revelations about PRISM came out, were publicly furious over the new revelations (which the NSA denied): "We are outraged at the lengths to which the government seems to have gone to intercept data from our private fiber networks," David Drummond, Google's chief legal officer, told The Verge. This is the same company that in October 2012 gave $342,409 to Democrats and only $37,250 to Republicans, according to data from OpenSecrets.

hardrightedge
11-14-2013, 05:22 PM
lol...they are so full of shit..

HOLLYWOOD
11-14-2013, 05:41 PM
If they can make a buck... Silicon Valley will sell anything, including all your electronic accounts... especially when government is paying big bucks for data, offering huge tax rebates/write-offs/corp welfare, in exchange for joining the Fascist State of 1984.

twomp
11-14-2013, 05:58 PM
If they can make a buck... Silicon Valley will sell anything, including all your electronic accounts... especially when government is paying big bucks for data, offering huge tax rebates/write-offs/corp welfare, in exchange for joining the Fascist State of 1984.

I thought making money was something we support around here. Google, Facebook etc... can only sell information you volunteer to give them. The NSA on the other hand just takes it.

eduardo89
11-14-2013, 06:03 PM
I thought making money was something we support around here. Google, Facebook etc... can only sell information you volunteer to give them. The NSA on the other hand just takes it.

You miss a huge point, though. When using their services we agree for them to be able to use our data for marketing purposes, we never agree for them to sell or give it to the government.

twomp
11-14-2013, 06:07 PM
You miss a huge point, though. When using their services we agree for them to be able to use our data for marketing purposes, we never agree for them to sell or give it to the government.

We have no control over those companies and what they due. Maybe a lawsuit might help your case but we do (sort of) have control of our government and that is where your cross hairs should be pointed at.

VoluntaryAmerican
11-14-2013, 06:29 PM

For me at least, it's not so much about them making money. It's about the government's intentions and the repercussions on our liberties that will happen, because they have that data.