PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Palin Slams John McCain: "I'm a Proud Hobbit"

Coolidge/Dawes '24
11-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Article here (http://www.mediaite.com/tv/im-a-proud-hobbit-sarah-palin-takes-a-swing-at-fmr-running-mate-john-mccain/).

http://media.tumblr.com/ad7a0af253b01e8d41ee2eb60172ec1f/tumblr_inline_mjs7e9lc5a1qz4rgp.png

Tuesday afternoon on The Laura Ingraham Show, former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin took a swing at her former running mate, Senator John McCain, after he likened the Tea Party movement to hobbits from the Lord of the Rings series.

Though host Laura Ingraham referred to McCain's words as "recent," they were actually from a House speech in 2011, after that year's debt ceiling crisis. Republicans who "failed to raise the debt ceiling: could escape all the blame, and "the Tea Party Hobbits could return to Middle Earth having defeated Mordor," the senator mocked. "This is the kind of crack political thinking that turned Sharron Angle and Christine O’Donnell into GOP Senate nominees."

"I'm a proud hobbit then," Palin retorted Tuesday.

"The Tea Party movement, it's not a party," she continued. "If the GOP machine continues to try to marginalize that Tea Party patriot, who is doing all the hard work to get Republicans re-elected, then the establishment will go the way of the Whigs."

Palin warned that such rhetoric could cause an even greater surge in grassroots outrage towards the mainstream Republican Party.

“The establishment within the major political parties in our nation, the self-proclaimed best and brightest, have been
calling the shots for far too long,” she concluded, “and they’ve gotten us into the problems that we’re facing today.”

Ender
11-13-2013, 11:46 PM
No Palin fan here, but McCain was really ignorant to try to insult Tea Partiers by calling them Hobbits.

The Hobbits are the real heroes of Middle Earth and are brave and true to the end.

tangent4ronpaul
11-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Maybe we should start a chipin for one of those build it yourself hobbit hole kits?

But should we send it to McPain or Palin?

-t

Christian Liberty
11-14-2013, 12:01 PM
No Palin fan here, but McCain was really ignorant to try to insult Tea Partiers by calling them Hobbits.

The Hobbits are the real heroes of Middle Earth and are brave and true to the end.

In Palin's case, I honestly think she'd be a great asset to the liberty movement if she'd just give up dispensationalism. As it is she's already less hawkish than most of the GOP, from what I've seen.

Palin > McCain any day.

compromise
11-14-2013, 12:06 PM
I was wondering when she'd grow the balls to take on McCain. Glad she's done apologizing for him.

Natural Citizen
11-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Am I the only one getting sick of seeing politicians standing around belching on big gulps? Gosh.

What about the issues? The important ones.

Hobbits....wtf? I can think of a gazzilion other really important things besides these redundant one liners. And people just flock to this romper room shit. It's unbelievable. Like a campaign to deliberately dumb down the people even more.

Christian Liberty
11-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Am I the only one getting sick of seeing politicians standing around belching on big gulps? Gosh.

It was a middle finger to Bloomberg:p

Seriously though, who cares?

Natural Citizen
11-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I was wondering when she'd grow the balls to take on McCain. Glad she's done apologizing for him.

How did this stage prop "take on" McCain in any way?

HOLLYWOOD
11-14-2013, 12:20 PM
“The establishment within the major political parties in our nation, the self-proclaimed best and brightest, have been
calling the shots for far too long,” she concluded, “and they’ve gotten us into the problems that we’re facing today.”Palin must be reading Lew... then again, she doesn't go deep enough(as usual for her), just the off the cuff one-liners and zingers... What people need to be explained, these credentialed/academia 'con artists' are no different than the political DC con artists, they ALL work for money, power, and special interest, who reciprocate the money/power. Take the money/power and special memberships away and these clowns will run from their propaganda jobs of stealing and endangering America.

tsai3904
11-14-2013, 12:37 PM
How did this stage prop "take on" McCain in any way?

Are you referring to the big gulp? That picture is from her appearance at CPAC. It doesn't have anything to do with her interview today.

brushfire
11-14-2013, 01:07 PM
The irony... Palin is about as good a friend to liberty as she is to mccain. /Sluuuurrrrrp

alucard13mm
11-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Better to have her an a friend than an enemy, because Rand needs more female allies that has a name in the media political world. Even if she is doing it for attention whoring or whatever.

brushfire
11-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Better to have her an a friend than an enemy, because Rand needs more female allies that has a name in the media political world. Even if she is doing it for attention whoring or whatever.

Agreed, but she seems to be gravitated towards the spotlight. For someone like Rand, she will only get on board once she's confident she's with a well established winner. I could be wrong, but she seems to be a chaser rather than a maker... Just my opinion.

Christian Liberty
11-14-2013, 02:35 PM
The irony... Palin is about as good a friend to liberty as she is to mccain. /Sluuuurrrrrp

I'd take Palin over Cruz with the limited info I have so far.

brushfire
11-14-2013, 03:02 PM

Agreed - a kick to the a$$ is definitely better than a kick to the groin.

I view someone like palin is an "indicator species" when it comes to politics. I guess I should not be so negative. She just reminds me a lot of bachmann, and I dont particularly care for bachmann at all.

Christian Liberty
11-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Agreed - a kick to the a$$ is definitely better than a kick to the groin.

I view someone like palin is an "indicator species" when it comes to politics. I guess I should not be so negative. She just reminds me a lot of bachmann, and I dont particularly care for bachmann at all.

Bachmann came off as more aggressive foreign policy wise than Palin, and more knowledgeable (And thus, more culpable) but I admit this impression is based off limited info.

Palin strikes me as being a libertarian-in-waiting (Please don't take this out of context, I didn't say she was actually a libertarian) but is too politically and theologically naive to follow through rationally.

compromise
11-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Bachmann came off as more aggressive foreign policy wise than Palin, and more knowledgeable (And thus, more culpable) but I admit this impression is based off limited info.

Palin strikes me as being a libertarian-in-waiting (Please don't take this out of context, I didn't say she was actually a libertarian) but is too politically and theologically naive to follow through rationally.

Bachmann is significantly more authoritarian on civil liberties issues than Palin. On foreign aid, world government and humanitarian intervention issues, they are similar. Bachmann is a little more rhetorically hawkish towards Iran.

I agree that Palin seems much more open to new ideas and set in her ways than Bachmann, which is definitely a good thing. Palin openly admits to having a 'libertarian streak' and often praises libertarians. A lot of people mistake that for political opportunism, but I believe it is a genuine ideological change since 2008 as Palin grew more and more informed about liberty.

Tywysog Cymru
11-14-2013, 03:45 PM
McCain had no chance of winning in 2008, but he probably blames it on Palin. Of course, Biden is known to make gaffes and was probably a liability on the ticket, but Obama still won.

parocks
11-14-2013, 03:56 PM

Back a long time ago I read the book the Hobbit, and the movie has been on HBO about 4 times a day, and I've caught it quite a few times.

Pretty interesting.

Frodo: "but you knew going in, that gold attracted dragons, right? We're walking over fields that you could use for farming, and through forests you can make wood products out of. Why don't you do that? You don't see me attracting the attention of the dragons by doing something that attracts dragons. Chalk it up to a learning experience. There are dragons. Don't piss them off. I'm a farmer, living in a stable community. Why don't you try it? No, you need to enlist me to steal for you. I don't like stealing. Your way of life require me to steal for you? Get a new way of life."

That didn't happen in the movie, but after seeing bits and pieces of it, that's my core takeaway.

It has some parallels to the middle east. Don't piss off the dragon. Making so much gold that the dragon comes - is blowback. You can prevent dangerous situations simply by not doing one thing that creates dangerous situations. (I don't know about Lord of the Rings).

parocks
11-14-2013, 03:59 PM
In Palin's case, I honestly think she'd be a great asset to the liberty movement if she'd just give up dispensationalism. As it is she's already less hawkish than most of the GOP, from what I've seen.

Palin > McCain any day.

Yeah, Palin is one of the best and McCain is one of the worst.

Christian Liberty
11-14-2013, 04:27 PM
McCain had no chance of winning in 2008, but he probably blames it on Palin. Of course, Biden is known to make gaffes and was probably a liability on the ticket, but Obama still won.

McCain should really blame Bush, not Palin (And yes, I know Democrats blame an absurd amount of crap on Bush, and as bad as he was it usually isn't justified. This is one case where it would be.) People saw McCain as basically being another Bush, hence the problem.

Yeah, Palin is one of the best and McCain is one of the worst.

Until Palin gets her Israel-Firstism under control, she'll still be in some kind of "Less bad" category to me. But at least she seems sincerely naive on those issues rather than malicious and wicked. Palin seems genuinely ignorant in most cases where she does believe stupid things. I can't say the same for someone like Ted Cruz, who is certainly intelligent (In this case ignorance is a positive because it means not being malicious.) But I still wouldn't put her in "One of the best" category which I'd reserve for Amash, Massie, Paul (Rand in this case as Ron has retired, although Ron Paul is certainly the best ever) Mark Sanford (- his personal life, of course) and those like them.

bolil
11-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Said the Nazgul.

Ender
11-14-2013, 05:07 PM

Palin is a lyin' SOS. I have read the full legal document on the Trooper case and it is filled with her and her husband's lying and manipulating BS.

http://canarypapers.wordpress.com/2008/10/10/the-sarah-palin-troopergate-timeline-a-sordid-trail-of-corruption-squalor-and-lies/

anaconda
11-14-2013, 05:16 PM
McSame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAzDEbVFcg8

Snew
11-14-2013, 05:26 PM
One clown responding to another clown.

Peace&Freedom
11-14-2013, 05:36 PM

Palin > McCain any day.

Actually, I lean dispensational, and don't think it inhibits liberty. Palin's problem is that she needs to give up the finger-in-the-wind opportunism.

brushfire
11-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Palin's problem is that she needs to give up the finger-in-the-wind opportunism.

FTW

acptulsa
11-14-2013, 05:47 PM
And the rank and file Republican says, 'Mmmmm, furry feet...'

Christian Liberty
11-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Actually, I lean dispensational, and don't think it inhibits liberty. Palin's problem is that she needs to give up the finger-in-the-wind opportunism.

It doesn't have to, I suppose. I've gotten this comment a couple of times here. This forum is kind of an exception to what I generally see in the outside world. But in general dispensationalists let the fact that they view Israel as chosen and their views of end-times prophecy to influence their political thinking, ESPECIALLY if they are also Arminians. Reformedish, Macarthurish dispensationalists are typically not as radically effected by their dispensationalism on the political front than the likes of John Hagee, Tim Lahaye, and other similar Arminian dispies.

In Palin's case, I believe that she's as pro-Israel as she is because she's theologically ignorant. She, like most American "Christians" seem to think that Judaism is somehow better than any other apostate religion. It is not. Israel is just as hating of God as Iran is (As a group, not every single Israelite or Iranian as an individual, obviously there are Christians in both countries.)

VoluntaryAmerican
11-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Her non-disparagement contract with McCain is finally up.

mad cow
11-14-2013, 06:34 PM

What about the issues? The important ones.

Hobbits....wtf? I can think of a gazzilion other really important things besides these redundant one liners. And people just flock to this romper room shit. It's unbelievable. Like a campaign to deliberately dumb down the people even more.

Laura played a tape of McCain calling tea partiers hobbits and asked Palin to respond.I guess she could have answered about a gazillion other really important things that had absolutely nothing to do with the question she was asked but then you and others would just use that to point out what a scatterbrained moron she is.

And even though the Big Gulp picture had nothing to do with the interview,I love it.It smells like freedom,although some posters here might agree with Bloomberg and want to outlaw certain food and drink choices.

klamath
11-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Another thread littered with libertarians eating the people closest to their beliefs. Nah there isn't enough left wingers and democrats attacking Palin when she says something attacking the epitome of neoconservatism. "Let's attack her too and her charactor!"

Christian Liberty
11-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Laura played a tape of McCain calling tea partiers hobbits and asked Palin to respond.I guess she could have answered about a gazillion other really important things that had absolutely nothing to do with the question she was asked but then you and others would just use that to point out what a scatterbrained moron she is.

And even though the Big Gulp picture had nothing to do with the interview,I love it.It smells like freedom,although some posters here might agree with Bloomberg and want to outlaw certain food and drink choices.

I don't think anyone here is that bad:p

Another thread littered with libertarians eating the people closest to their beliefs. Nah there isn't enough left wingers and democrats attacking Palin when she says something attacking the epitome of neoconservatism. "Let's attack her too and her charactor!"

Nobody's really "Attacking" her, just commenting. And I don't see how she really addressed neoconnery in general. It was a humorous comment, though.

Peace&Freedom
11-14-2013, 07:27 PM
It doesn't have to, I suppose. I've gotten this comment a couple of times here. This forum is kind of an exception to what I generally see in the outside world. But in general dispensationalists let the fact that they view Israel as chosen and their views of end-times prophecy to influence their political thinking, ESPECIALLY if they are also Arminians. Reformedish, Macarthurish dispensationalists are typically not as radically effected by their dispensationalism on the political front than the likes of John Hagee, Tim Lahaye, and other similar Arminian dispies.

It's the other way around--Christian activists in politics today often let their political views corrupt their biblical and prophetic views. It was not the case 20-30 years ago that Christians frequently equated their support for the Israeli people and end-time spiritual Zionism with lockstep support of the current Israeli government and political Zionism/hyper-nationalism.

The switch was the result of neo-cons steering evangelicals (in the name of 'unifying' the right), mutating the former into the latter, or even paying some of them to endorse that viewpoint (as rumored in the case of Hagee). The less political dispensationalists like MacArthur avoided being cowed into making the leap.

klamath
11-14-2013, 07:28 PM
I don't think anyone here is that bad:p

Nobody's really "Attacking" her, just commenting. And I don't see how she really addressed neoconnery in general. It was a humorous comment, though.

:rolleyes:

Cutlerzzz
11-14-2013, 07:51 PM

Plain, who supported the bailouts and Cap and Trade?

brushfire
11-14-2013, 08:31 PM

Nope - I have more respect for someone like Cornel West. He has his own views, many of which I disagree with, but I know he's sincere in his beliefs. The issue I have with most politicians, in general, is that they will flock towards whatever may further their personal agenda.

Sarah is very strategic in who she will support, and when she will offer it. She has remained silent at times when she could have made a huge difference, perhaps because it may have created too much risk... Much like beck, she proclaims to be an agent of liberty, but only when there is assured personal gain. We've got enough politicians like that - at least that's my view. Which is why I, like so many others here, truly appreciate Ron Paul. The man tells it like it is, and stands his ground firmly... He never compromised or withheld his personal views, in order to make personal gains. Still, if you had something in common with the good doctor, you could count on his support for a common goal. Ron Paul is a true agent of liberty. Its also why I respect folks like Ben Swann - the man basically gave up a solid career, but took a risk in order to stand for liberty...

These wishy washy, larger than life people, who are deliberately propped up by the establishment media are a dime a dozen. I can do without people who bring liability, without offering a true personal investment in our cause. That being said, they're free to follow whoever they want... Still, if palin wants my respect, she'd better start putting as much effort into furthering the cause of liberty as she does the "palin brand".

No hate here, but no political patsy either...

bolil
11-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Meh, Sarah is all about US tax funded Zionism, through and through. This puts her pretty damn far away from libertarian if you ask me.

Christian Liberty
11-14-2013, 10:15 PM
It's the other way around--Christian activists in politics today often let their political views corrupt their biblical and prophetic views. It was not the case 20-30 years ago that Christians frequently equated their support for the Israeli people and end-time spiritual Zionism with lockstep support of the current Israeli government and political Zionism/hyper-nationalism.

The switch was the result of neo-cons steering evangelicals (in the name of 'unifying' the right), mutating the former into the latter, or even paying some of them to endorse that viewpoint (as rumored in the case of Hagee). The less political dispensationalists like MacArthur avoided being cowed into making the leap.

I still fail to see why we should support the Israeli people anymore than any other people. But I get your point.

That said, I very rarely see Reformed Christians getting nearly as Zionistic as any dispensationalists, though. If they do support Israel, its not generally for reasons directly related to Christianity or their theology.

Meh, Sarah is all about US tax funded Zionism, through and through. This puts her pretty damn far away from libertarian if you ask me.

I agree, hence why I said she needs to give up dispensationalism:p (No offense to the dispensationalists here who actually do support liberty;))

enhanced_deficit
11-15-2013, 01:57 AM
To be fair, I had heard rumors while back that moderate neeocon tool McCain had a crush on her.

http://www.floppingaces.net/wp-content/uploads/capt699c541841134170bb1e059c2839b76cmccain_2008_pa lin_pagh116.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=ZtU52O05rlwdaM&tbnid=EekbhaaOXzzy3M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffloppingaces.net%2F2008%2F10%2F09 %2Frisque-business%2F&ei=09OFUqH1Oev84APr0ICQDQ&bvm=bv.56643336,d.dmg&psig=AFQjCNGlVRaQy_TZnlI_1T6U3lozZJShww&ust=1384588621432607)

Natural Citizen
11-15-2013, 10:55 AM

Ah. Yes. We ask, you decide skullduggery. I forgot about this model. We ask (about nothing at all important and relevant to anything ) and then the sheep decide...on hobbits. Beautiful. Way to solicit ignorance and incompetence from the listeners even further.

And even though the Big Gulp picture had nothing to do with the interview,I love it.It smells like freedom,although some posters here might agree with Bloomberg and want to outlaw certain food and drink choices

She's acting as a glorified pop-up ad for biotech and big pharma. What she is doing here is spelling freedom for these tyrannical industries. And as long as the drones are gawking over the circus then the issue itself won't need to be addressed by these pop-up pundits.

Bloomberg...he's got nothing to do with the importance of this in scope. He's fodder for the freak show that keeps the disinformed buying tickets to the big tent.