PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Extends Push To Track, Tax Drivers Per Mile

DamianTV
11-12-2013, 02:52 PM
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/10/22/1247253/oregon-extends-push-to-track-tax-drivers-per-mile

"Oregon is moving ahead with a controversial plan to tax motorists based on the number of miles they drive as opposed to the amount of fuel they consume, raising myriad concerns about cost and privacy. The problem for lawmakers is that the existing per-gallon gas tax has hit a point of diminishing returns, as Americans drive less and vehicles become more fuel efficient. Economists and civil libertarians are concerned about the Oregon pilot project in large part because some mileage meters can track and record residents' every vehicular move. Rick Geddes, a Cornell University professor, said the basic device is okay because it is simply attached to a vehicle's computer, which cannot track locations. However, Geddes said privacy concerns could resurface should governments expand the program and use SmartPhone or apps to track movements and reward motorists who avoid congested roads and drive during off-peak hours. Mark Perry, a University of Michigan scholar, says the GPS or 'black box' system is 'particularly untenable.'"

I propose that we put a new tax on Toilet Paper and require every person to have a Biometric GPS Chip implanted so we can tax someone every time they take a shit. This proposal is introduced because of the diminishing returns on Sales Tax on Toilet Paper and many poor people tend to wipe their asses with napkins they get from McDonalds. /total_sarcasm

Brian4Liberty
11-12-2013, 03:30 PM
The politicians advocating this should be tarred and feathered.

aGameOfThrones
11-12-2013, 03:38 PM
If you want to tax, then annual inspection for miles driven. You can't track people that way and you wont accomplish your real goals.

jkr
11-12-2013, 03:51 PM
FUCK IT

it hurts me to drive now anyway...BRING IT STATIST!

youll find me @ home

MINDING
MY OWN
BUISNESS

Brian4Liberty
11-12-2013, 03:53 PM
The problem for lawmakers is that the existing per-gallon gas tax has hit a point of diminishing returns, as Americans drive less

Then the roads need less maintenance! Put that gas tax in a lock box for roads and there won't be any problems. Quit stealing that money for General pork.

DamianTV
11-12-2013, 05:30 PM
If you want to tax, then annual inspection for miles driven. You can't track people that way and you wont accomplish your real goals.

The Goal is NOT Tax Revenue. The Goal is Total Control over a Fully Monitored People. This by itself is NOT Total Control, but part of what is needed to have Full Surveillance.

JK/SEA
11-12-2013, 05:45 PM
they'll come up with an average and send you a bill...

problem solved.

dannno
11-13-2013, 11:44 AM
That doesn't encourage people to get high gas mileage vehicles, wth