PDA

View Full Version : poll indicates that Christie's popularity might not extend far beyond his home state

CaseyJones
11-12-2013, 02:50 PM
http://theweek.com/article/index/252658/chris-christies-provincial-problem-can-he-win-outside-the-northeast

I

f the entire nation were one big New Jersey, Chris Christie would have the 2016 Republican presidential nomination in the bag.

Except there is only one New Jersey and, as a result, Christie's hypothetical path to the nomination will have to wind through far less favorable territory than solely the Garden State. And while it's tempting to extrapolate Christie's blowout re-election last week as a sign of his superior electability and presumed frontrunner status, there are questions about whether the New Jersey governor's broad support will extend beyond his home turf.

In the latest such indicator, an NBC poll out Tuesday found that Christie was the preferred candidate of GOP voters in just one region, the Northeast. There, 57 percent of Republicans said they would support Christie in a GOP primary versus 22 percent who said they would not.

However, pluralities of Republicans everywhere else said they would prefer a different candidate. Christie trailed a generic "other" GOPer in the Midwest (35/30 percent), the South (29/27 percent) and the West (40/22 percent.)

All told, Republican respondents nationwide are equally split between Christie, anti-Christie, and unsure. Of course, this poll might just illustrate the power of hometown advantage — Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) could be the preferred candidate in the West, for instance — but it does highlight the governor's main problem should he launch a presidential campaign. Though he has significant bipartisan appeal — he won a third of Democrats and two-thirds of Independents in his re-election bid, according to the New York Times' exit polling data — that might not be much of a draw to many conservatives.

Other recent polling bears out that point.

In a recent survey conducted by Quinnipiac, only one-third of self-identified conservatives nationwide had a favorable opinion of Christie, while one-quarter viewed him unfavorably. And while Christie took the top spot in a PPP survey of a theoretical GOP primary earlier this month, he was the top choice among only three percent of "very conservative" respondents. That put him dead last with that demographic, behind the likes of Sens. Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, and Marco Rubio — as well as some more farfetched candidates like Sarah Palin and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.

Romulus
11-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Mainstream media to the rescue!

Acala
11-12-2013, 03:55 PM
His popularity may not extend far beyond the donut shops in his home state.

acptulsa
11-12-2013, 04:09 PM
What, all the pundits drooling over him nationwide don't count?!

:rolleyes: :D

FloralScent
11-12-2013, 04:41 PM
His popularity may not extend far beyond the donut shops in his home state.

Moobs aren't very 'presidential'.

JK/SEA
11-12-2013, 04:47 PM
That poll is accurate. I live in Washington State, and i wouldn't support him...:D

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
11-12-2013, 05:04 PM
I thought giant statist slobs were popular everywhere. This sounds like good news.

Elias Graves
11-12-2013, 05:19 PM
I haven't met a supporter of his here yet.
Rand seems to be the me that comes up more than any other.