PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul: Congress should be restricted from writing bills about multiple subjects

jct74
11-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Rand Paul: Congress should be restricted from writing bills about multiple subjects

by Alex Pappas
1:54 PM 11/12/2013

Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky has introduced three pieces of legislation that he argues would increase transparency in government — including one that would restrict lawmakers from addressing more than one subject in bills they draft.

The Republican lawmaker’s One Subject at a Time Act would “end the practice of including more than one subject in a single bill by requiring that each bill enacted by Congress be limited to only one subject.”

“Too often in Congress, legislation is shoved through without hearings, amendments or debate,” Paul said in a statement about the legislation. “Elected officials are rarely given an adequate amount of time to read the bills in full, and unlike Rep. Nancy Pelosi, I believe we must read the bills before passing them into law.”

“If we are to answer to the American people,” Paul said, “it is imperative we pay close attention to how legislation is written and the subject matter it pertains to. These three bills will do just that.”

read more:
http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/12/rand-paul-congress-should-be-restricted-from-writing-bills-about-multiple-subjects/

ronpaulfollower999
11-12-2013, 04:24 PM
I liked how the thread sounded before I clicked on it:

Rand Paul: Congress should be restricted from writing bills

but I guess this is okay too.

acptulsa
11-12-2013, 05:46 PM
I liked how the thread sounded before I clicked on it:

but I guess this is okay too.

Agreed.

Papers say, "Congress is deadlocked and can't act." I think that is the greatest blessing that could befall this country.--Will Rogers

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." -- Will Rogers

'Congress meets tomorrow morning. Let us all pray to the Lord to give us strength to bear what is about to be inflicted upon us.'--Will Rogers

That said, Rand Paul is right. I can't even describe how much crap has been slipped through by being attached to something worthwhile. It's insane.

That's why there was a lot of discussion about the line item veto some thirty years ago. If only we could get a sane president, that could be one hell of an idea.

green73
11-12-2013, 05:48 PM
+rep to Rand!

sluggo
11-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Send an email to your congress critter:

https://secure.downsizedc.org/etp/one-subject/

puppetmaster
11-12-2013, 07:11 PM
I think Washington state does this? This crap happens all the time. I have seen these add ons kill one of my businesses

libertywanter
11-12-2013, 10:02 PM
This is most definitely one of the best proposals I have ever seen brought by a politician, Rand truly is for the people and not for the network. Senator Paul never ceases to amaze me. He is the man.

Brian4Liberty
11-12-2013, 11:41 PM
And new laws should require a 3/4 majority to pass. A fatal flaw in the Constitution. (50% to repeal).