PDA

View Full Version : Phila. will soon be first city to ban 3D printing guns

VoluntaryAmerican
11-12-2013, 11:56 AM
A CITY COUNCIL committee yesterday advanced a bill to ban the use of 3-D printers to make firearms in Philadelphia.

"You can use certain types of plastics and certain types of other material to replicate anything," said Councilman Kenyatta Johnson, who sponsored the bill that passed 4-0 in the Public Safety Committee. "What will happen if someone used one of these 3-D printers on a personal use, which we are seeing now, to create an actual firearm? That could be something that's catastrophic."

The possibility of people using 3-D printers, a new technology that so far is uncommon outside of research or prototype-fabrication facilities, to produce weapons raised eyebrows after the anarchic Texas group Defense Distributed posted a YouTube video in May of the "Liberator," a Star Wars-like plastic gun. Many fear that the guns could allow criminals or terrorists to evade metal detectors.

In the past, some city ordinances regarding firearms have been struck down because, in Pennsylvania, state law preempts cities when it comes to guns. But Johnson said that won't be a problem in this case.
"The prohibition that city ordinances can't overcome as it relates to state legislation is primarily ownership, transfer of a firearm. This goes to manufacturing," he said. "We've spoken with the Law Department. We believe that if there is a challenge in the court system, it will be something we'll be able to defeat."
The Philadelphia Police Department testified in support of the measure. Capt. Frank Healy, a PPD legal adviser, said, if passed, this could be the first municipal law in the country to explicitly ban 3-D printing of guns.
The federal Department of Justice is looking into ways to regulate the practice, and New York lawmakers are exploring the issue as well.

Council members Johnson, Curtis Jones Jr., Jannie Blackwell and Denny O'Brien voted in favor of the bill.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20131108_Bill_would_ban_3-D_printing_of_guns.html#sRIVsAZshvqcYaVB.99

Mods, feel free to move this to 2nd amendment subforum if you like.

aGameOfThrones
11-12-2013, 12:18 PM
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

You make me pay ransom so I can exercise my Right, now you want to denied me the ability to make my own even though you have no lawful authority whatsoever to do it.

well, http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/STFU.gif

The possibility of people using 3-D printers, a new technology that so far is uncommon outside of research or prototype-fabrication facilities, to produce weapons raised eyebrows after the anarchic Texas group Defense Distributed posted a YouTube video in May of the "Liberator," a Star Wars-like plastic gun. Many fear that the guns could allow criminals or terrorists to evade metal detectors.

Bullets are made of plastic too, right?

VoluntaryAmerican
11-12-2013, 12:30 PM
You mean..? the right of the people to print and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Czolgosz
11-12-2013, 12:54 PM
They can and will write a law, any law, to keep you from being free...and 99.9% will comply. How you gonna beat that through education?

FindLiberty
11-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Not so fast, the children are not quite safe yet...

I bet more people end up getting killed from botched 4am, 3D printer raids (wrong address, etc.) because of this new and wonderful "law" that the bad guys are expected to obey like magic.

Was this even a problem that needed to be address is such a stupid pre-emptive way?

What maroons.