PDA

View Full Version : What if?

Noodles
06-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm prone to worrying, but what if the 2Q numbers are only around 2mil? That would still be 400% more than the last numbers, but it would sound devastatingly low after our hopes have been built up with numbers like 5-6mil. I think we should be very careful to not get caught up in the "this is big" mode of thinking, and should realize that PROGRESS IS BEING MADE, even if the numbers are at 2mil. We started out NOWHERE, so we have a lot to be proud of, but more importantly, A LONG LONG WAY TO GO. Don't set yourselves up for disappointment. I am going to try to look at anything over $2mil as icing, and something to be very excited about, rather than being devastated if that is really the case.

Of course, it goes without saying, I hope we're well above anything we're hoping for. :cool:

Original_Intent
06-25-2007, 12:49 PM
I agree. Much better to have moderate expectations and get a pleasant surprise than to get overhyped and then disappointed.

A point that I was going to make.

Also remember to donate or other fundraising activites this week. A big push for the last week of Q2!

DjLoTi
06-25-2007, 12:50 PM
I dunno m8, it's all speculation. It could be only 2 mil. Who knows. The important thing is to keep plugging the name "Ron Paul" in circles of friends. That's something very important that money simply can't buy.

Mani
06-25-2007, 01:05 PM
I agree, $2million is still a lot of money.

That would at least throw him into 4th place (unless some of the other guys had a big jump to keep pace).

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/index.asp

beermotor
06-25-2007, 01:09 PM
I agree, $2million is still a lot of money.

That would at least throw him into 4th place (unless some of the other guys had a big jump to keep pace).

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/index.asp

Not bloody likely.

Just need to keep pushing "donate a small amount, $25, $10, whatever" because that's what counts in the aggregate.

princessredtights
06-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Well, if you are fiscally responsible (like RP) ... then I would think it's not necessarily how much $$$ you get... it's how consciously you spend it that counts

Wyurm
06-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Well, if you are fiscally responsible (like RP) ... then I would think it's not necessarily how much $$$ you get... it's how consciously you spend it that counts

well, thats somewhat trueish. However, to the media, a high increase in funds would prove them wrong about Ron's supporters being fringe. Its kinda like a form of polling. The more money his campaign has, the more support he must have.

beermotor
06-25-2007, 03:21 PM
I think he only needs about 10M total to stay in the race all the way to the end. More is of course awesome, but I figure he can make a great national showing on that budget. Which is of course the point - keep the message on the national stage for as long as possible. He may or may not get elected President, but the message will inspire people to get elected to local offices.

I am planning on getting into politics in a few years, myself. Southern states are the pits, and need a lot of libertarianizing.

Zydeco
06-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Under $2 million, I'd be disappointed
$2-3 million, OK, not that great, but objectively still good
$3-4 million is what I expect
anything over $4 is outstanding and immediately puts him in "unignorable top tier" category.

Remember that the vast majority of voters still haven't heard of RP and that's OK, we have plenty of time (over half a year until the Iowa Caucus). Several possible candidates haven't even entered the race yet and only 6% of polled voters have "definitely" made up their minds.

What buoys me especially is that the other side's arguments seem to boil down to "Ron Paul is a crank" and "he's polling low."

Well, when he's polling higher and people realizes he's way saner than Bush or Cheney or Giuliani, what ammo do they have left? Policy arguments we win handily in online debates, is my impression.

LibertyEagle
06-25-2007, 04:21 PM
The higher the number, the more people will believe he actually might have a chance, and will donate.

Man from La Mancha
06-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Why doesn't the ronpaul2008.com site keep a running tab of how much it is collecting. People would have fun making it grow?
100 million would show the world we mean business

Bob Cochran
06-25-2007, 04:54 PM
4 million people each giving $25 is $100M!!!!!!

Get the word out, encourage modest donations.