PDA

View Full Version : Postal Service to Make Sunday Deliveries for Amazon

CaseyJones
11-11-2013, 11:44 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/11/business/postal-service-and-amazon-strike-deal.html?_r=0

The cash-short United States Postal Service, which has failed to win congressional approval to stop delivering mail on Saturdays to save money, has struck a deal with the online retailer Amazon.com to deliver the company’s packages on Sundays — a first for both, with obvious advantages for each.

For the Postal Service, which lost nearly $16 billion last year, first-class mail delivery, particularly on Saturdays, is often a money loser, whereas package delivery is profitable.

The deal, announced on Sunday and taking effect immediately, in time for the holiday shopping season, gives the Postal Service a chance to take some business from United Parcel Service and FedEx, which do not deliver on Sundays. Now, some orders that would have been handled by either of those carriers for Monday delivery will go through the Postal Service and arrive on Sunday.

The Postal Service said it expected to make more such deals with other merchants, seeking a larger role in the $186 billion e-commerce market. Amazon.com would not say if it would try to arrange Sunday deliveries with other parcel carriers.

For this holiday shopping season, Sunday delivery of Amazon products will be limited to the Los Angeles and New York metropolitan areas, which in New York’s case includes parts of New Jersey and Connecticut. In 2014 it is expected to expand to other cities including Dallas, Houston, New Orleans and Phoenix.

Among the primary beneficiaries of the new delivery schedule will be Amazon Prime members, who pay an annual fee for premium services including free two-day shipping for certain items, said Kelly Cheeseman, a spokeswoman for Amazon. “Now every day can be an Amazon delivery day,” Ms. Cheeseman said.

ronpaulfollower999
11-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Thought it was great news until I realized I lived in a city that doesn't really matter.

For this holiday shopping season, Sunday delivery of Amazon products will be limited to the Los Angeles and New York metropolitan areas, which in New York’s case includes parts of New Jersey and Connecticut. In 2014 it is expected to expand to other cities including Dallas, Houston, New Orleans and Phoenix.

HOLLYWOOD
11-11-2013, 12:43 PM
The government doesn't need to know what I buy from merchants.

U.S. Postal Service Photographing-Logging All Mail for Law Enforcement - NSA/FBI/DEA/ATF/DHS/SS/DOJ

http://nyti.ms/12dEbdV

Red Green
11-11-2013, 12:56 PM
There's something not right about the world's largest on-line retailer using a taxpayer subsidized monopoly in an exclusive agreement. If the postal service was a totally private affair, it would have been delivering mail on Sundays long ago.

Romulus
11-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Level 10 status achieved for Amazon!

Now.... onward to that internet sales tax, or Sunday delivery is CANCELLED.

heavenlyboy34
11-11-2013, 01:06 PM
There's something not right about the world's largest on-line retailer using a taxpayer subsidized monopoly in an exclusive agreement. If the postal service was a totally private affair, it would have been delivering mail on Sundays long ago.
Good point. I think this is an okay solution for now, but it would've been better for amazon to work with UPS or another private service. In my experience, UPS and FedEx do a better job anyway.

muh_roads
11-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Level 10 status achieved for Amazon!

Now.... onward to that internet sales tax, or Sunday delivery is CANCELLED.

That was my first thought.

"We'll deliver on Sunday for you too...if you start charging sales tax online"

erowe1
11-11-2013, 02:51 PM
There's something not right about the world's largest on-line retailer using a taxpayer subsidized monopoly in an exclusive agreement.

The article says they expect to make more such deals with other merchants. So it's apparently not exclusive.

tangent4ronpaul
11-11-2013, 02:53 PM

U.S. Postal Service Photographing-Logging All Mail for Law Enforcement - NSA/FBI/DEA/ATF/DHS/SS/DOJ

When and from who, but not what. Unless it's written on the side of the box.

-t

dannno
11-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Amazon pays a spokesperson to be cheesey, and their name is....

“Now every day can be an Amazon delivery day,” Ms. Cheeseman said.

You can't make this stuff up.

aGameOfThrones
11-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Among the primary beneficiaries of the new delivery schedule will be Amazon Prime members, who pay an annual fee for premium services including free two-day shipping for certain items, said Kelly Cheeseman, a spokeswoman for Amazon. “Now every day can be an Amazon delivery day,” Ms. Cheeseman said.

Now that they got that Government cheese on Sundays.

dannno
11-11-2013, 03:42 PM
I love the Postal Service..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXEq7WiINa4

PRB
11-11-2013, 04:14 PM

Yeah, how dare they monitor the contents for a service they provide which nobody is forced to use!

Romulus
11-12-2013, 01:00 PM

Look at all those new productive jobs.

FindLiberty
11-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Wait, shouldn't this be the other way around? Darn. Amazon deliveries should replace the USPS completely...

PRB
11-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Wait, shouldn't this be the other way around? Darn. Amazon deliveries should replace the USPS completely...

which is very funny, because Amazon isn't sending mail, whatever they sell or send isn't going to be placed inside a person's USPS monopolized mailbox, so why haven't they struck a deal with UPS, FedEx or DHL so they could leave USPS alone?

angelatc
11-12-2013, 01:21 PM
which is very funny, because Amazon isn't sending mail, whatever they sell or send isn't going to be placed inside a person's USPS monopolized mailbox, so why haven't they struck a deal with UPS, FedEx or DHL so they could leave USPS alone?

Maybe the USPS approached them, or maybe the USPS was the only one that they could work a deal with. I think it's a mistake to assume that the USPS was the only service they were negotiating with.

ClydeCoulter
11-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Hey, I hope they do that here! UPS and FedEx won't even deliver on Saturdays here.

FrankRep
11-12-2013, 01:23 PM

The post office is losing money so the Amazon.com agreement will help the post office make up some of the losses, lose less money.

angelatc
11-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Although - it does strike me as odd - just a few months ago they were talking about ceasing Saturday deliveries and suddenly they're going to introduce Sunday deliveries?

I can only hope that Amazon is paying a small fortune for this.

PRB
11-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Maybe the USPS approached them, or maybe the USPS was the only one that they could work a deal with. I think it's a mistake to assume that the USPS was the only service they were negotiating with.

Oh, I'm sure Amazon would love anybody anywhere to deliver their packages. But why would private companies let USPS take their business? Isn't it only because USPS is the cheapest? Wouldn't it make sense that the volume of USPS Sunday deliveries, however big, however small, would likely be cheaper if it was added to the bulk of any private delivery company's shipments, UNLESS they were not delivering enough of it in the first place?

FrankRep
11-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Although - it does strike me as odd - just a few months ago they were talking about ceasing Saturday deliveries and suddenly they're going to introduce Sunday deliveries?

I can only hope that Amazon is paying a small fortune for this.

I'm sure they've done a cost/benefit analysis and it works for them.

PRB
11-12-2013, 01:28 PM
The post office is losing money so the Amazon.com agreement will help the post office make up some of the losses, lose less money.

I'm with angelatc on this. they started by saying they'll cut a day of work to save money, now they'll actually add a day to make money? That says a lot about what they make on normal days, and what Amazon is willing to pay on Sundays.

FrankRep
11-12-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm with angelatc on this. they started by saying they'll cut a day of work to save money, now they'll actually add a day to make money? That says a lot about what they make on normal days, and what Amazon is willing to pay on Sundays.

Things are good as long as Amazon.com is making a profit.

shane77m
11-12-2013, 02:13 PM
The mail never stops.

http://youtu.be/zpN00-UTrY0

angelatc
11-12-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm sure they've done a cost/benefit analysis and it works for them.

Normally I would agree with that sentiment but when it comes to forecasting their track record is somewhat questionable.

angelatc
11-12-2013, 02:50 PM

FWIW, USPS has always had Sunday delivery available. It costs extra, but it is an option that you can buy through Express Mail. As far as know, FedEx and UPS do not offer that option at all.

Romulus
11-12-2013, 03:51 PM
pretty sure USPS already delivers on Sunday for the holiday season anyway...

PRB
11-12-2013, 06:10 PM
FWIW, USPS has always had Sunday delivery available. It costs extra, but it is an option that you can buy through Express Mail. As far as know, FedEx and UPS do not offer that option at all.

You mean, that UPS & FedEx do deliver on Sundays, but just as they do any day, not as a "rush option"?