PDA

View Full Version : The Surveillance State Puts U.S. Elections at Risk of Manipulation

jct74
11-10-2013, 03:07 PM
The Surveillance State Puts U.S. Elections at Risk of Manipulation
Imagine what Edward Snowden could have accomplished if he had a different agenda.

CONOR FRIEDERSDORF
NOV 7 2013, 6:00 AM ET

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/newsroom/img/posts/2013/11/General_Alexander_full/29b466736.jpg

Did the Obama Administration ever spy on Mitt Romney during the recent presidential contest? Alex Tabarrok, who raised the question at the popular economics blog Marginal Revolution, acknowledges that it is provocative. Until recently, he would've regarded it as a "loony" question, he writes, and he doesn't think that President Obama ordered the NSA to spy on Romney for political gain.

Let's be clear: I don't think so either. In every way, I regard Obama as our legitimate head of state, full stop. But I agree with Tabarrok that today, "the only loonies are those who think the question unreasonable." * Most Americans have a strong intuition that spying and electoral manipulation of that kind could never happen here. I share that intuition, but I know it's nonsense: the Nixon Administration did spy on its opponents for political gain. Why do I worry that an unreformed surveillance state could put us in even greater jeopardy of such shenanigans?

Imagine a very plausible 2016 presidential contest in which an anti-NSA candidate is threatening to win the nomination of one party or the other—say that Ron Wyden is challenging Hillary Clinton, or that Rand Paul might beat Chris Christie. Does anyone doubt where Keith Alexander or his successor as NSA director would stand in that race? Or in a general election where an anti-NSA candidate might win?

What would an Alexander type do if he thought the victory of one candidate would significantly rein in the NSA with catastrophic effects on national security? Would he really do nothing to prevent their victory?

I don't know. But surely there is some plausible head of the NSA who'd be tempted to use his position to sink the political prospects of candidates antagonistic to the agency's interests. And we needn't imagine something so risky and unthinkable as direct blackmail.

read more:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/11/the-surveillance-state-puts-us-elections-at-risk-of-manipulation/281232/

VoluntaryAmerican
11-10-2013, 05:51 PM
"But I don't care about my privacy anyway... it's not a big deal..." -Mundane

I connected these dots as soon as this happened... when Snowden said that this program was a threat to our democracy wtf did people think he meant?

FSP-Rebel
11-10-2013, 08:15 PM