PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul Op-Ed: Time to End Military's Sexual Assault Epidemic

tsai3904
11-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Time to End Military's Sexual Assault Epidemic

by SEN. RAND PAUL
8 Nov 2013

William Wilberforce once said, “Having heard all of this you may choose to look the other way, but you can never say again that you didn’t know.”1 (Note to self: Don’t forget to footnote this.)

Wilberforce was speaking of the unspeakable injustice of slavery, but I think his words could apply to any injustice.

I cannot look the other way after hearing the story of a young naval recruit from Georgetown, KY. She was raised in a military family and upon graduating from high school she chose to proudly serve in the U.S. Navy.

While at training camp in 2008, she was attacked and raped by another recruit. The assailant beat her to a pulp, pinching three nerves in her spine and bruising her hips and legs to the point of immobility. She not only suffered from physical pain, but from emotional trauma as well. For years, she harbored suicidal thoughts and continued to suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

More:
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2013/11/08/MILITARY-JUSTICE-IMPROVEMENT-ACT

eduardo89
11-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Good that he added a footnote and he added links in the article whenever he added a fact/claim.

Brett85
11-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Great way to refute the bogus "war on women" attacks.

RM918
11-08-2013, 10:46 PM
This will, of course, get absolutely no coverage on any of the so-called 'feminist' sites who gleefully tore him apart and called him an angry child over the wikipedia bullshit.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
11-08-2013, 11:41 PM
This will, of course, get absolutely no coverage on any of the so-called 'feminist' sites who gleefully tore him apart and called him an angry child over the wikipedia bullshit.

http://feminist.org/blog/index.php/2013/07/16/gillibrand-gains-new-bi-partisan-support-in-fight-against-military-sexual-assault/

RM918
11-08-2013, 11:48 PM
http://feminist.org/blog/index.php/2013/07/16/gillibrand-gains-new-bi-partisan-support-in-fight-against-military-sexual-assault/

That's refreshing at least, though as I mentioned I'm talking about the ones that were complicit in trashing him mercilessly over the recent stuff. I suspect that blog is in the minority, but it'd be great to be proven wrong.

WD-NY
11-09-2013, 01:24 AM
That's refreshing at least, though as I mentioned I'm talking about the ones that were complicit in trashing him mercilessly over the recent stuff. I suspect that blog is in the minority, but it'd be great to be proven wrong.

Try tweeting a link to the article to some of the pundits & journalists who wrote (negative) articles about Rand recently.

E.g. "Hey, noticed you recently wrote about Rand Paul. #HonestQuestion why no write up on his support of Gillibran military rape bill??"

ObiRandKenobi
11-09-2013, 03:02 PM
ugh why is this a top issue who cares? a lot of people who sign up to risk getting killed or killing people sometimes are gonna rape chicks. shocking.

Southron
11-09-2013, 03:31 PM
ugh why is this a top issue who cares? a lot of people who sign up to risk getting killed or killing people sometimes are gonna rape chicks. shocking.

It's not a top issue. I think he's just trying to use this to his advantage in his Presidential run.