PDA

View Full Version : FDA to Ban Artery-Clogging Trans Fats

cajuncocoa
11-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Heart-clogging trans fats have been slowly disappearing from grocery aisles and restaurant menus in the last decade. Now, the Food and Drug Administration is finishing the job.

The FDA planned to announce Thursday it will require the food industry to gradually phase out all trans fats, saying they are a threat to people's health. Commissioner Margaret Hamburg said the move could prevent 20,000 heart attacks and 7,000 deaths each year.

Hamburg said that while the amount of trans fats in the country's diet has declined dramatically in the last decade, they "remain an area of significant public health concern." The trans fats have long been criticized by nutritionists, and New York and other local governments have banned them.

The agency isn't yet setting a timeline for the phase-out, but it will collect comments for two months before officials determine how long it will take. Different foods may have different timelines, depending how easy it is to find a substitute.

"We want to do it in a way that doesn't unduly disrupt markets," says Michael Taylor, FDA's deputy commissioner for foods. Still, he says, the food "industry has demonstrated that it is by and large feasible to do."

To phase them out, the FDA said it had made a preliminary determination that trans fats no longer fall in the agency's "generally recognized as safe" category, which is reserved for thousands of additives that manufacturers can add to foods without FDA review. Once trans fats are off the list, anyone who wants to use them would have to petition the agency for a regulation allowing it, and that would be unlikely to be approved.

Trans fats are widely considered the worst kind for your heart, even worse than saturated fats, which can also contribute to heart disease. Trans fats are used both in processed food and in restaurants, often to improve the texture, shelf life or flavor of foods. They are created when hydrogen is added to vegetable oil to make it more solid, which is why they are often called partially hydrogenated oils.

Scientists say there are no health benefits to trans fats and say they can raise levels of so-called "bad" cholesterol, increasing the risk of heart disease — the leading cause of death in the United States.

Many companies have already phased out trans fats, prompted by new nutrition labels introduced by FDA in 2006 that list trans fats and an by an increasing number of local laws that have banned them.

Though they have been removed from many items, the fats are still found in processed foods, including in some microwave popcorns and frozen pizzas, refrigerated doughs, cookies and ready-to-use frostings. They are also sometimes used by restaurants that use the fats for frying. Many larger chains have phased them out, but smaller restaurants may still get food containing trans fats from suppliers.

As a result of the local and federal efforts, consumers have slowly eaten fewer of the fats. According to the FDA, trans fat intake among American consumers declined from 4.6 grams per day in 2003 to around one gram per day in 2012.

FDA officials say they have been working on trans fat issues for around 15 years — the first goal was to label them — and have been collecting data to justify a possible phase-out since just after President Barack Obama came into office in 2009.

The advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest first petitioned FDA to ban trans fats nine years ago. The group's director, Michael Jacobson, says the move is "one of the most important lifesaving actions the FDA could take."

He says the agency should try to move quickly as it determines a timeline.

"Six months or a year should be more than enough time, especially considering that companies have had a decade to figure out what to do," Jacobson said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/fda-ban-artery-clogging-trans-fats-20814618

angelatc
11-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Mayor Bloomberg must feel pretty darn vindicated about this. To think we mocked him when he banned them in NYC.

Christian Liberty
11-07-2013, 11:32 AM
They may be artery-clogging, but I don't see how this is their business.

RickyJ
11-07-2013, 11:33 AM
This is great news, only it should have been done decades ago! I assume they are only going to ban synthetic trans fats, since natural trans fats have been shown to be good for you. Anything with partially hydrogenated oil in it is synthetic trans fats.

specsaregood
11-07-2013, 11:37 AM
This is great news, only it should have been done decades ago! I assume they are only going to ban synthetic trans fats, since natural trans fats have been shown to be good for you. Anything with partially hydrogenated oil in it is synthetic trans fats.

It is horrible news. aren't these the same folks that were telling everybody to replace butter with transfats just a couple decades ago? If they can ban transfats, then they can ban butter or whatever else they deem unsafe. screw that.

dannno
11-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Like South Park once said, they are doing the wrong thing for the right reason.

I don't see why they need to do it since it is being phased out naturally anyway..

But the point does stand that they were literally PROMOTING this stuff as a healthy alternative to butter for decades, up until almost a decade ago..

donnay
11-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I am always glad to see people becoming aware of unhealthy fats but I am always suspicious of government laying down the laws and continue to allow other unhealthy processes to be allowed in foods.

moostraks
11-07-2013, 11:45 AM

Since vegetables are healthier than meat then they should ban restaurants from selling meat. Oh and dairy. That is bad too. So no dairy. We are all responsible for the higher costs due to universal health care. So we as a nation well really not we but some alphabet agency will tell you what you may buy in the marketplace. Eat your gmo veggies and thank the government for protecting you.

Sorry but not seeing this as great considering it is just a start for the new and improved future ahead of us.

specsaregood
11-07-2013, 11:45 AM
But the point does stand that they were literally PROMOTING this stuff as a healthy alternative to butter for decades, up until almost a decade ago..

Exactly, if they are gonna ban this; then I can only assume that butter and saturated fats next. What right do they have to ban any of it?

angelatc
11-07-2013, 11:47 AM

I don't see why they need to do it since it is being phased out naturally anyway.. .

***This!***** Contrary to Little Ricky's anti-liberty position, we don't need a government that takes away our rights to anything.

moostraks
11-07-2013, 11:47 AM
I am always glad to see people becoming aware of unhealthy fats but I am always suspicious of government laying down the laws and continue to allow other unhealthy processes to be allowed in foods.

I think what miffs me is the mindset that comes with the govt doing this. They will see they got an inch so they will lobby for the mile.

angelatc
11-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Since vegetables are healthier than meat then they should ban restaurants from selling meat. Oh and dairy. That is bad too. So no dairy. We are all responsible for the higher costs due to universal health care. So we as a nation well really not we but some alphabet agency will tell you what you may buy in the marketplace. Eat your gmo veggies and thank the government for protecting you.

Sorry but not seeing this as great considering it is just a start for the new and improved future ahead of us.

The Paleo preachers will be along to explain that it's really wheat that should be banned.

I'd probably by ok with them banning beets. They're nasty.

July
11-07-2013, 11:50 AM
It's good people will eat less trans fat. But remember this was a government created problem to begin with, for waging a war on natural animals fats, coconut oil, and Palm. That's what a lot of fast food chains and restaurants used to use until they were pressured into switching to vegetable oils.

RickyJ
11-07-2013, 11:55 AM

I don't see why they need to do it since it is being phased out naturally anyway..

Yes they were and they should have to answer for that! They have hurt many people by promoting the use of synthetic trans-fats. When they finally do change something they never should have done to start with, at least that much should be seen as a step in the right direction. Anyone thinking this is terrible news doesn't know just how bad synthetic trans-fats are for you or how easily they can be replaced with other preservatives that aren't as bad for you.

Christian Liberty
11-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Yes they were and they should have to answer for that! They have hurt many people by promoting the use of synthetic trans-fats. When they finally do change something they never should have done to start with, at least that much should be seen as a step in the right direction. Anyone thinking this is terrible news doesn't know just how bad synthetic trans-fats are for you or how easily they can be replaced with other preservatives that aren't as bad for you.

In other words, government knows best. Yeah right.

You are despicable.

RickyJ
11-07-2013, 12:01 PM
In other words, government knows best. Yeah right.

You are despicable.

I didn't say government knows best! I said they finally made a move they should have made decades ago. Would you want radiation in your food? Do you think it would be OK for the government to ban radiation in your food?

I know you are very young and think everything is black and white, but that is not the way the real world is. Even the government on occasion can do something right, it is rare, but when it happens it should be celebrated.

angelatc
11-07-2013, 12:05 PM
I didn't say government knows best! I said they finally made a move they should have made decades ago. Would you want radiation in your food? Do you think it would be OK for the government to ban radiation in your food?

I know you are very young and think everything is black and white, but that is not the way the real world is. Even the government on occasion can do something right, it is rare, but when it happens it should be celebrated.

You might as well march down the street wrapping yourself in a flag while carrying a cross if you're celebrating this.

Christian Liberty
11-07-2013, 12:10 PM

Well, that would entail fraud if there was radiation in food.

Sure. But this ain't one of them.

tod evans
11-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Newz flash..........Government's making more work for itself.

You'll be "safer"...

Government needs more money though..

moostraks
11-07-2013, 12:19 PM
The Paleo preachers will be along to explain that it's really wheat that should be banned.

Lol! Agreed on the beets...

donnay
11-07-2013, 12:33 PM
I think what miffs me is the mindset that comes with the govt doing this. They will see they got an inch so they will lobby for the mile.

That's what governments do best, unfortunately. We've seen this incremental tyranny go on and on.

July
11-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Yeah, this decision will be popular, but this really should be a lesson why it's so dangerous to have a big central agency control the food supply in the first place. When they make a mistake, it can take decades to fix, and cost many lives. This is what I try to explain to progressive friends about banning GMOs as well. What happens when the government gets it wrong? When a policy is entrenched, they are always slow to respond to the science, and rarely admit fault. That is not even getting into other arbitrary non health related reasons things can be banned. Sometimes an industry just wants to block competition, or sometimes the govt wants to punish a foriegn govt it doesn't approve of by blocking trade, etc.

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2013, 12:41 PM
FDA officials say they have been working on trans fat issues for around 15 years — the first goal was to label them

An effort that was immediately compromised by corporate lobbyists. They made no destination between natural trans fats (OK) and artificial trans fats (not OK).

And don't doubt for a second that the laboratories of the corporatists are not already ahead of this. No need for artificial hydrogenated fat when you can have artificial interesterified fats (or whatever other new processes they come up with). Disposing of rancid oil by putting it in food is a hell of a cost saver and money maker.

donnay
11-07-2013, 12:41 PM
It's good people will eat less trans fat. But remember this was a government created problem to begin with, for waging a war on natural animals fats, coconut oil, and Palm. That's what a lot of fast food chains and restaurants used to use until they were pressured into switching to vegetable oils.

Absolutely! If we had a truly free market we could just boycott those places who use these poisons on people. They would go out of business, or the market would force them to change their ways or go out of business.

Nevertheless, awareness is key. What the alphabet agencies have done is caused people to blindly believe/trust they are out for their best interest.

bunklocoempire
11-07-2013, 12:47 PM
And this promotes, protects, and preserves my freedom from government in what way?

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2013, 12:49 PM
It is horrible news. aren't these the same folks that were telling everybody to replace butter with transfats just a couple decades ago? If they can ban transfats, then they can ban butter or whatever else they deem unsafe. screw that.

There was certainly a concerted effort to push "all vegetable" trans-fats. Mainly initiated by vegetarians, later pushed by corporations trying to kill 3 birds with one stone: get rid of rancid oil, add a preservative to baked products, and market an "all-vegetable" product.

On the other hand, was there ever any law that banned butter or lard? Or was this just a confluence of science, marketing and special interest groups? (Which turned out to be a very unhealthy mistake).

tod evans
11-07-2013, 12:49 PM
And this promotes, protects, and preserves my freedom from government in what way?

Um-hm.......Reprogramming van dispatched...

Lucille
11-07-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm sure everyone is shocked, shocked, that there's fascism going on here.

As is typical of this sort of behavior, it’s going to have a bigger impact on your neighborhood family-run bakery than it will on big chains like Dunkin’ Donuts (http://reason.com/blog/2013/11/07/start-hoarding-donuts-the-fda-is-banning).
[...]
A big chain like them can manage the transition just fine. But back when California instituted a ban, some smaller bakeries reported they’d have to raise prices as the ban both increased production costs and also reduced shelf life of their goods.
[..]
It may end up being yet another barrier to entry for smaller restaurants and producers to compete against established chains.

Washington's war on small business continues apace.

Root
11-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Over/under on a trans-fat black market?

Money making opportunity?

Personally, I only use coconut oils or grassfed butter when I can get it.

Acala
11-07-2013, 01:59 PM

MY ARTERIES!!!! I should be able to do with them exactly what I want, including clog them. Not your business. Not the FDA's business.

Anyone NOT thinking this is terrible news doesn't understand liberty.

Zippyjuan
11-07-2013, 02:23 PM
The first use of trans fats in foods was in margarines- which were initially only available by prescription.

There can also be natural sources of trans fats- found in dairy and meat products.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080402152140.htm

Natural Trans Fats Have Health Benefits, New Study Shows

Contrary to popular opinion, not all trans fats are bad for you.

University of Alberta researcher Flora Wang found that a diet with enriched levels of trans vaccenic acid (VA) -- a natural animal fat found in dairy and beef products -- can reduce risk factors associated with heart disease, diabetes and obesity.

Results indicated this benefit was due in part to the ability of VA to reduce the production of chylomicrons -- particles of fat and cholesterol that form in the small intestine following a meal and are rapidly processed throughout the body. The role of chylomicrons is increasingly viewed as a critical missing link in the understanding of conditions arising from metabolic disorders.

"Our results provide further evidence of the important role of chylomicrons in contributing to risk factors associated with metabolic disorders," said Wang, a PhD candidate in the University of Alberta Faculty of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences. "They also indicate a strong opportunity for using diets with enhanced VA to help reduce these risk factors."

The research involved two VA feeding trials -- one short-term (three weeks) and one long-term (16 weeks) -- using model rat species for obesity and the metabolic syndrome.

The results, presented recently at the International Symposium on Chylomicrons in Disease, included novel findings that VA may have direct effects on the intestine. In addition, they showed key metabolic risk factors were reduced. For example, in the long-term trial, total cholesterol was lowered by approximately 30 per cent, LDL cholesterol was lowered by 25 per cent and triglyceride levels were lowered by more than 50 per cent.

Because VA is the major natural trans fat in dairy and beef products, comprising more than 70 per cent of the proportion of natural trans fat content in those products, the findings support a growing body of evidence that indicates natural animal-based trans fat is different than harmful hydrogenated trans fat created through industrial processing, Wang noted.

"As the VA results illustrate, some natural trans fats are not harmful and may in fact be very good for you," she said.

Zippyjuan
11-07-2013, 02:27 PM
http://chriskresser.com/can-some-trans-fats-be-healthy

Trans fats are one of the few food components that are widely accepted as being unhealthy, and for good reason. Industrial trans fats are created by pumping hydrogen molecules into liquid vegetable oil, changing the chemical structure and causing the oil to become a solid fat. Trans fats are generally considered to be especially harmful because they raise total cholesterol while lowering HDL cholesterol. However, as usual with conventional nutrition advice, there is far more danger to trans fats than simply the effect they have on cholesterol ratios. Mark Sisson has written a helpful explanation as to why trans fats are best to be avoided.

However, it may surprise you to learn that many of the foods recommended on a Paleo or whole foods diet contain trans fats as well. Dairy fat and meats from grass eating “ruminant” animals contain significant amounts of trans fatty acids, and grass-fed animals actually have higher levels of these trans fats than grain fed animals. (1) In fact, your grass-fed steak contains about 0.5g-1.4g of trans fat per ounce (28.3g) of total fat. (2)

Naturally occurring trans fats are formed when rumen bacteria in the stomachs of ruminant animals (cows, sheep, etc.) digest the grass the animal has eaten and form trans-rumenic and trans-vaccenic acid via biohydrogenation of polyunsaturated fats in the grass. Conjugated linoleic acid, or CLA, is a trans-rumenic acid that is found abundantly in grass-fed meat and dairy products, and to a lesser degree in grain-fed products. It is also produced in our bodies from the conversion of trans-vaccenic acid (VA) from those same animal products.

Industrial trans fats have slightly different chemical structures than those trans fats found in beef and butter (specifically, the location of the double bond). CLA also has contains both cis- and trans- bonds, whereas most industrial trans fats have only trans bonds. But these minor differences in structure lead to majorly different effects in the body, as has been shown in many clinical and epidemiological studies. (3) While industrial trans fats are shown to increase the risk of heart disease, cancer, and obesity, CLA and other trans fats found naturally in animal products are actually thought to decrease the risk of those diseases.

More at link.

heavenlyboy34
11-07-2013, 02:30 PM

d00d, you just don't understand! People just aren't smart enough to figure out what they should eat! /sarc

amy31416
11-07-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm not all that familiar with Southern cooking and wouldn't eat the shit, but it's my understanding that the trans-fatty fats make the best biscuits. Maybe we'll have some rebel outrage.

Oh, and the preppers should be peeved too--that stuff has about a 50-year shelf-life.

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm not all that familiar with Southern cooking and wouldn't eat the shit, but it's my understanding that the trans-fatty fats make the best biscuits. Maybe we'll have some rebel outrage.

Oh, and the preppers should be peeved too--that stuff has about a 50-year shelf-life.

It's about what you are used to. Some people love artificial sweeteners, and apparently can't taste the obvious difference between that and real sugar.

hardrightedge
11-07-2013, 03:26 PM
ObamaCare...

amy31416
11-07-2013, 03:44 PM
It's about what you are used to. Some people love artificial sweeteners, and apparently can't taste the obvious difference between that and real sugar.

Like I said, I don't really know, but maybe I should buy 50 cans of Crisco and get rich when I resell it.

heavenlyboy34
11-07-2013, 03:51 PM

No particular reason to ban wheat. It's useful for the "bulking" phases of many strength training/body building routines. It's just something the average person ought to avoid if the goal is to lose or prevent gaining fat/adipose tissue.

heavenlyboy34
11-07-2013, 03:53 PM

My gandmama (R.I.P.) from Kentucky never used Crisco-just butter. (she was also rail thin her entire life)

donnay
11-07-2013, 03:53 PM

Palm kernel shortening makes great biscuits and pie crusts and is far better for you than vegetable shortening which is usually loaded with GMO soy, canola and corn.

Ender
11-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Palm kernel shortening makes great biscuits and pie crusts and is far better for you than vegetable shortening which is usually loaded with GMO soy, canola and corn.

My mama taught me to make great biscuits with butter- much better than anything else I've tasted. :)

SouthBeachPrimal
11-07-2013, 04:52 PM

That is simply not true. Lard (pig fat) makes the best biscuits and was the traditional fat of the American South until Procter and Gamble waged a successful million dollar propaganda campaign against it in the first part of the 20th Century. Real lard is extremely healthy. Be careful of things labeled "lard" when shopping though because companies will sometimes hydrogenate lard to improve shelf life (and in the process turning a otherwise healthy fat in to a heart killer). Most stores are going to put real lard in the refrigerated section (though a butcher who sells fresh lard might not). Always check the label.

Contumacious
11-07-2013, 04:54 PM

Thanks to the FDA and Mayor Bloomberg I will be able to extend my life for another 50 years.

Left to my own devices I would have been dead.

BTW, did they mention muff diving ?

Ender
11-07-2013, 04:56 PM
That is simply not true. Lard (pig fat) makes the best biscuits and was the traditional fat of the American South until Procter and Gamble waged a successful million dollar propaganda campaign against it in the first part of the 20th Century. Real lard is extremely healthy. Be careful of things labeled "lard" when shopping though because companies will sometimes hydrogenate lard to improve shelf life (and in the process turning a otherwise healthy fat in to a heart killer). Most stores are going to put real lard in the refrigerated section (though a butcher who sells fresh lard might not). Always check the label.

Spot on. ;)

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Most stores are going to put real lard in the refrigerated section (though a butcher who sells fresh lard might not). Always check the label.

Agree. Check with the butcher. Lard is not in demand these days. You may get a very good deal.

FloralScent
11-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Morons should be allowed to eat themselves to death, drink themselves to death, or die with a needle in their arm. We really need to stop short circuiting natural selection. Of course this is not why this is being done, it's another gimme to the insurance lobby who I now fear as much as AIPAC.

angelatc
11-07-2013, 05:00 PM

It's not that they can't taste the difference, it's that they prefer the taste of artificial sweeteners.

amy31416
11-07-2013, 05:06 PM

Lucille
11-07-2013, 05:23 PM

TY! I use lard and did not know that.

donnay
11-07-2013, 05:25 PM
My mama taught me to make great biscuits with butter- much better than anything else I've tasted. :)

Definitely butter too. Makes them nice and flakey.

donnay
11-07-2013, 05:28 PM

Beef tallow is great too.

dannno
11-07-2013, 05:39 PM

Transfats are highly stable at high heats, so they tend to help brown foods without burning them. That's why they make good fry oil.

They are also more solid at room temperature than butter, so as your biscuits or cookies are cooling they will tend to stand up more and be fluffier rather than sink into itself.

The part about the 50 year shelf life may be a good reason not to ban them - they are good for preserving food and it would be better to have food with transfat than no food if something happened.

amy31416
11-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Transfats are highly stable at high heats, so they tend to help brown foods without burning them. That's why they make good fry oil.

They are also more solid at room temperature than butter, so as your biscuits or cookies are cooling they will tend to stand up more and be fluffier rather than sink into itself.

The part about the 50 year shelf life may be a good reason not to ban them - they are good for preserving food and it would be better to have food with transfat than no food if something happened.

I watched a show that did side-by-side comparisons of butter vs. shortening vs. lard, and shortening won in a lot of cases when it came to texture, browning, etc. As someone seems to have mistaken--I'm not singing the praises of the trans-fat, nor did I need a lecture, but there are plenty of cooks who swear by it for certain recipes--and you're right, it probably has a much longer shelf-life.

In emergencies and for those who don't care--I think it's perfectly legit if they want to choose it.

I can't imagine that banning it will not have the effect of higher prices for all kinds of baked goods, fried foods and diner foods.

oyarde
11-08-2013, 02:02 AM
Screw the Govt.

tasteless
11-08-2013, 05:05 AM
First they came for the trans fats, but I did not speak up because I wasn't a trans fatso

Working Poor
11-08-2013, 07:20 AM

Yea that's what I would like to know..

Working Poor
11-08-2013, 07:20 AM
First they came for the trans fats, but I did not speak up because I wasn't a trans fatso

LOL!

Fredom101
11-08-2013, 07:31 AM
This is typically government action. It was already happening.

All they did was to jump in front of the parade and say "Look, see we're DOING SOMETHING".

It's crap. No need to use threats of violence to get rid of trans fats from our diet. People were already doing that voluntarily!

AFPVet
11-08-2013, 10:01 AM
The only reason the government has been involved in real safety is due to pressure from some organization. They never do things for our safety by themselves... it's always driven by some group. Oh, the govt. banned trans fats so now we will all be healthy! ... pay no attention to the mercury laden HFCS, the neurotoxic aspartame, sodium fluoride waste product, or the many food dyes, excessive sugar... I could go on and on.

Also, there is NO reason for pop to have nearly 40g of sugar! They could cut that in half and it would still be MORE than enough!

kcchiefs6465
11-08-2013, 10:10 AM
I smoke cigarettes and drink like a fish... enlighten me on the horrors of trans fats.

The government has no authority to dictate what people can or can't consume. Period.

presence
11-08-2013, 10:18 AM

hmmm sell bitcoins... buy crisco

:)

jbauer
11-08-2013, 10:21 AM

You realize that all cattle only eat plants right? Grassfed is just a bunch of marketing BS.

James Madison
11-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Where's the 'my body, my choice' crowd on this one?

presence
11-08-2013, 10:31 AM
You realize that all cattle only eat plants right? Grassfed is just a bunch of marketing BS.

Most feed lot cattle (aka styro packaged grocery store beef) are fattened on GMO corn in tight quarters.

Grass fed is pastured half the year and fed fermented round bales in the winter.

Ender
11-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Most feed lot cattle (aka styro packaged grocery store beef) are fattened on GMO corn in tight quarters.

Grass fed is pastured half the year and fed fermented round bales in the winter.

Yep.

Thanks for clarifying that for the uneducated.

RickyJ
11-08-2013, 10:48 AM
It looks like I am the only one here happy about this decision of the FDA to finally ban synthetic trans-fats, honestly they never should have been approved. They are not natural, serve no nutritional purpose and do lead to blockages which cause strokes and heart attacks. The only reason they were ever used was a way of preserving food.

Ender
11-08-2013, 10:52 AM
It looks like I am the only one here happy about this decision of the FDA to finally ban synthetic trans-fats, honestly they never should have been approved. They are not natural, serve no nutritional purpose and do lead to blockages which cause strokes and heart attacks. The only reason they were ever used was a way of preserving food.

The FDA needs to be banned. If .gov was not involved in the food and corporate industry, we wouldn't be having all the bad food problems in the first place.

Zippyjuan
11-08-2013, 04:43 PM
The FDA needs to be banned. If .gov was not involved in the food and corporate industry, we wouldn't be having all the bad food problems in the first place.

Yeah. Companies should be able to put whatever they want into foods.

Ender
11-08-2013, 04:49 PM

Under true capitalism and free enterprise, a bogus company would not last very long. They would have to make product that people will trust and enjoy.

The old "snake oil" label was invented by government to make successful snake oil salesmen look evil. In fact Chinese snake oil is actually beneficial and has many healing properties. Now we use to the words to say that someone is trying to con us.

It is the gov that has conned people for the last century+ in the food and textile industries to support their buddies. It's called crony capitalism- maybe you've heard of it? :)

tod evans
11-08-2013, 04:53 PM

Is government really who you want to control what companies are able to put into anything let alone food?

Everything government gets involved in it fucks up, everything!