PDA

View Full Version : Most Dangerous Superstition, worth it?

Lord Xar
11-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Can anyone tell me about this book, if you've read it - any good. Worth the read?

http://www.amazon.com/Most-Dangerous-Superstition-Larken-Rose/dp/145075063X

Ronin Truth
11-07-2013, 02:55 AM
I liked it. But in my case it was kinda like preaching to the choir. It's not very long. I'd say it's probably worth your time and effort.

http://www.larkenrose.com/store/product/1-the-most-dangerous-superstition.html

The bulk of the Amazon reviews sum it up nicely.

Enjoy!

BuddyRey
11-07-2013, 10:07 AM
I've never read that specific book, but I'm a huge Larken Rose fan. He's got a direct, feisty writing and speaking style that doesn't beat around the bush. I say go for it! :)

ZENemy
11-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Ive read it, great book. For me it only confirmed how Ive felt my entire life so it wasn't eye opening but a great read.

Tod
11-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Ron Paul got me on the road towards limited government, Larken Rose has me on the road towards no government.

It is because of Larken's arguments and reasoning that I recently made the following post on Facebook

Ashland County Park District wrote
Please encourage all your friends in Ashland County to vote for the tax levy on Tuesday, Nov. 5. The levy would only cost a homeowner $3.50 for a home valued at $100,000. That is certainly a small amount to ensure the park district continues to provide for and maintain the green spaces we enjoy.

Tod wrote

I'm going to do just the opposite. I'm going to ask all my friends in Ashland County to vote against having armed agents of the state robbing people who may not support this. If you support the parks, that's FINE....DONATE YOUR OWN MONEY to the parks, but DON'T FORCE YOUR NEIGHBORS to pay for them. If they like the parks, let them DONATE THEIR MONEY, don't ROB THEM. Robbery is robbery whether you do it yourself or whether you are a chicken and have armed mercenaries do the dirty work for you.

"Oh, but it isn't robbery, it is property tax!" BALONEY!!!! It IS ROBBERY and armed agents of the state WILL CONFISCATE THE MONEY if you refuse to pay it. Don't have the money? THEY WILL STEAL YOUR HOME, sell it to someone else, and take the proceeds of the sale.

Support the Ashland County Park District, but PLEASE, don't ROB YOUR NEIGHBORS TO DO IT.

Will the park that is in RICHLAND county be paid for by a tax levy on the people of Richland county if Ashland County passes this levy? Of course not....Ashland County does not have the legal authority to levy a property tax on Richland County landowners.

We may have the LEGAL authority to levy a tax on Ashland County landowners, but we DO NOT have the MORAL authority.

Instead of ROBBING people who may not even use the parks and who may not be able to AFFORD any more taxes ("but it is ONLY $3.50"....yes, $3.50 that is NOT YOURS TO TAKE and it is immoral to ask our Sheriff to kick people out of their houses at gunpoint, and hold sales over something like this, we should NOT ask him to do such an evil deed), how about we solicit voluntary DONATIONS or have a USER FEE?

P.S. the levy was defeated, by about 55% to 45%.

P.P.S. I think I will get copies to give for Christmas this year.

Feeding the Abscess
11-07-2013, 05:05 PM
1. That is fantastic to hear, Tod. May your journey continue!

2. I haven't read this book, but I have read several Larken Rose articles, watched several of his interviews and videos, and generally like what he has to say. Give it a shot.

VIDEODROME
11-07-2013, 05:19 PM
I actually haven't read this book and I don't see a good summary of it on that link. Is this author pushing for Small Limited Government or some kind of Anarchy?

Feeding the Abscess
11-07-2013, 05:29 PM
I actually haven't read this book and I don't see a good summary of it on that link. Is this author pushing for Small Limited Government or some kind of Anarchy?

From the first review listed on Amazon:

The "most dangerous superstition" referred to in the title is the idea of "authority," which includes all belief in "government." No, I'm not providing "spoilers;" this is something Rose lays out on Page 2 of the book. He doesn't deny that all the legislators, police, bureaucrats and soldiers exist -- they clearly do. But the thing that makes "government" something more than a gang of thugs is the respect -- even reverence -- in which it is held by the people it rules. "Government" is commonly believed to have a RIGHT to rule us, and we commonly believe ourselves to have a DUTY to obey their commands (which are called "laws.") Rose unleashes a ferocious array of arguments proving that neither that RIGHT nor that DUTY can logically -- or morally -- exist. If that sounds silly to you, YOU need to read the book.