PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky cross country runner pulls out of regional championships rather than run with #666

aGameOfThrones
11-06-2013, 11:33 PM
In one of the strangest cases of purported religious beliefs intersecting with athletic performance, a Kentucky junior cross country runner voluntarily walked away from a chance to qualify for the state meet to avoid running with the bib number "666", which she said conflicted with her Christian beliefs.

As reported in depth by Lexington NBC affiliate LEX18, Whitley County High (Whitley County, Ky.) cross country runner Codie Thacker voluntarily forfeited her spot in a regional championship race after her coach drew bib No. 666 for the runner. Thacker and her coach argued that she should be allowed to switch her number, but race officials refused the request.

"I didn't want to risk my relationship with God and try to take that number," Thacker told LEX18. "I told them to mark out my name because it makes me sick just thinking that my name is associated with that number."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/kentucky-cross-country-runner-pulls-regional-championships-rather-111318529.html

mad cow
11-06-2013, 11:47 PM
And they couldn't find another 3 digit number she could use?No one would switch?I think that they could have accommodated her pretty simply.

cjm
11-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Wow, they wouldn't swap the number? I signed up for a 10k race a few years back and when I checked in, I was a few numbers shy of a really cool number. I just let a few people check in before me and then I stepped up to get the number I wanted. Private sector FTW? Was the girl racing in a government race?

satchelmcqueen
11-07-2013, 12:18 AM
i assume she doesnt like slayer?