PDA

View Full Version : I just won my City Council Election!

AmericasLastHope
11-06-2013, 06:46 PM
I've only been here for two years, and got within 39 votes of first place out of eight candidates for four seats! I couldn't have done it without the support of the local Paulers.

I'm looking forward to endorsing Rand for President when he visits our state for the State Republican Convention!

Matt Collins
11-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Congrats!

What city?

Find me on Facebook, I'd like to give you some legislative / parliamentary advice to help you fight the statists.

Working Poor
11-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Congrats! Let freedom ring.

Brian4Liberty
11-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Congratulations! Keep up the good work!

heavenlyboy34
11-06-2013, 06:55 PM
I've only been here for two years, and got within 39 votes of first place out of eight candidates for four seats! I couldn't have done it without the support of the local Paulers.

I'm looking forward to endorsing Rand for President when he visits our state for the State Republican Convention!
Kewl. :cool: You get to be a professional parasite! :D ;)

dannno
11-06-2013, 06:55 PM
+rep

Cleaner44
11-06-2013, 06:57 PM
+rep

WINNING

and the R3VOLUTION continues!

malkusm
11-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Great news, congrats! Government is no less corrupt at that level, as I'm sure you'll find...stand up for transparency and honest government and people will surely take note. :)

mad cow
11-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Woot!

donnay
11-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Congratulations! +rep

Henry Rogue
11-06-2013, 07:25 PM
+ rep, good luck. Stay encouraged.

BenIsForRon
11-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Good job man. Pull a Portland, ME and legalize it!

Bryan
11-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Outstanding! That is fantastic news! Congratulations!

(front page material :) )

DamianTV
11-06-2013, 07:49 PM

Congratulations! When you represent the best interests of the people, you will have the support of the people, not just the "Paulites".

cajuncocoa
11-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Congratulations!

kill the banks
11-06-2013, 07:54 PM
good for you (and us)

http://scully13.wordpress.com/ men of dark intentions

FindLiberty
11-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Great! Now resist the pressure/pull to the dark side of the force, if you can...

You give me hope, thank you! Let Liberty light your path forward.

angelatc
11-06-2013, 08:10 PM
We really needed some good news! Congratulations, and thanks for stepping up!

IndianaPolitico
11-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Awesome! Local involvement is where it's at, you can make a powerful difference. Congratulations!

ClydeCoulter
11-06-2013, 08:26 PM
:D................:D...................:D

kathy88
11-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Woot!!!

mosquitobite
11-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Congratulations!

I helped get a liberty candidate elected to county council last year.

Hope to get more elected next year, even perhaps myself!

libertywanter
11-06-2013, 09:11 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Thank you for taking action, we need more like you that are willing to get out there and really do something. Thank You:)

bunklocoempire
11-06-2013, 09:13 PM
I, for one, welcome our new overlords.:)

Congrats! :cool:

georgiaboy
11-06-2013, 09:18 PM
huge congrats!

RabbitMan
11-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Congratulations! I'm moving to a smaller city soon so maybe I can pull off something similar. :)

Bastiat's The Law
11-07-2013, 12:50 AM
This is the kind of stuff I'd really like to see more of here. Tired of the handful of negative nellies that attempt to quash activism.

AmericasLastHope
11-07-2013, 01:08 AM
Thanks everyone! I forgot to mention I beat the Mayor and another incumbent, and I already have one Pauler friend on the Council. So big changes are coming.

Dary
11-07-2013, 06:44 AM
I just won my City Council Election.
My condolences.

Seriously though, Congrats.

Your post reminded me of what the good doctor said about running for office... Careful if you run. You just might win.

CaptLouAlbano
11-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Congrats. Perhaps you can share a little bit of the hard work you did in your community to achieve this success for the benefit of others who may be seeking to run for office.

lib3rtarian
11-07-2013, 07:23 AM
Well done, brother. All politics are local. Screw the federal behemoth. Which city/state is this?

EBounding
11-07-2013, 07:40 AM
What do you think made you successful? What was your "platform"? Any tips?

No one ran against any of the city council members or the mayor in my town (it has about 15K people). And this is after they pushed a big tax increase (a majority of the city voted for it though). I kind of wish I ran just to provide some sort of alternative.

Melissa
11-07-2013, 08:42 AM
+rep....Awesome to hear...stay fiscally conservative and the rest falls into place..

Barrex
11-07-2013, 09:18 AM
What CaptLouAlbano said. How did you do it? Detalis.

Congratualtions.

jtap
11-07-2013, 09:43 AM
congrats

Rocco
11-07-2013, 10:21 AM
People like you who patriotically stand up for the people of their communities and for their freedoms give me hope for the future. I have no doubt you will be an ardent defender of liberty. A thousand congrats to you!

Thanks everyone! I forgot to mention I beat the Mayor and another incumbent, and I already have one Pauler friend on the Council. So big changes are coming.

AmericasLastHope
11-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Congrats. Perhaps you can share a little bit of the hard work you did in your community to achieve this success for the benefit of others who may be seeking to run for office.

Certainly. Well when I first moved to town I got involved with the local Ron Paul Meetup. From there I joined the local Republican party (I had been a State Delegate for Ron back in my home state so I already knew basic Robert's Rules/Parliamentary procedure). We won our Caucus for Ron in 2012 by three votes! Then I was able to get nominated/elected to a position for the Party in our County, and from there a position in our Legislative district.

We didn't and still don't have the Chairman in our County and there's been a lot of infighting, but during my election I used the Rand approach and made inroads with the neocons. My buddy and I authored a couple nullification resolutions and got into some heated arguments with the opposition, but when I ran I decided to put all of that in the past so I could get the support of as many influential people as possible.

I really owe it to my friend who is already on the council for working virtually non-stop on the campaign. We hung a precinct map on the wall at my house and we researched the Council election results for the past ten years. From here we identified the top five precincts for voter turnout. Then we ordered 5,000 door hangers and I started going door-to-door in the these neighborhoods. I made sure to dress professionally, smile, and introduce myself to each voter. I also made sure to ask them if they have any concerns or issues. If someone strongly agreed with my platform (Defend Property Rights, Promote Transparency, Prioritize Spending, Rebuild Infrastructure, and Preserve Historical Heritage) then I would ask them if they wanted a yard sign.

We ordered 200 yard signs and deployed them to every house that asked for one. On corner lots in strategic areas we would make sure to put two in. We also decorated a float for a local rodeo parade and all the Paulers marched with me with campaign t-shirts and passed out candy and water bottles with our sticker on them. We set up a booth at the County Fair, hung our banner there, and passed out door hangers and water bottles there as well. We did phone banking based on different lists we had acquired.

I went to three debates, the last of which was televised. Before the first debate my buddy and I went over a host of questions and tried to anticipate every one that might come up. The paper tried to smear me on some of the issues, but I held steadfast and never flip-flopped. I also never paid for a single ad in the paper. We outspent our opponents on radio ads instead, and I also ordered a mailer of 5,000 and sent it in the high voter turnout saturated areas to registered voters only.

We also had several large signs made and placed them around town in the high traffic areas. I had teams of people helping me go door-to-door. Towards the end of the election there wasn't as much time to talk to every voter so we just started canvassing. I also did tv and radio interviews. I had lots of friends write letters to the editor for me. That's about all I can think of for now. It was a lot of work, but it paid off!

AmericasLastHope
11-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Also, I tried to make public appearances whenever I could. I had influential friends of mine meet me at popular bars, etc. and had them introduce me to more influential people. I attended Chamber of Commerce events, charities, and did some volunteer work, really anything to get more exposure. At these events I didn't really campaign or wear any campaign material. I just showed up and introduced myself. Every now and then someone would say "I know you from somewhere" and this was my opportunity to say who I was and that I'm running. I think this is a more humble approach that works vs. being a phony and going around trying to push that I was running on anyone and everyone.

helmuth_hubener
11-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks very much for the ideas. What a lot of great work!

I hope that there truly may be "big changes coming" in your city. Without a majority on the council, it will be a difficult struggle, to say the least.

muzzled dogg
11-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Good luck. Local politics can be tough because it's so much more personal

It's easy to go away to Washington and sponsor a bill to end the fed

Try telling a Girl Scout to her face that no, the city won't fund her merit badge project

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Certainly. Well when I first moved to town I got involved with the local Ron Paul Meetup. From there I joined the local Republican party (I had been a State Delegate for Ron back in my home state so I already knew basic Robert's Rules/Parliamentary procedure). We won our Caucus for Ron in 2012 by three votes! Then I was able to get nominated/elected to a position for the Party in our County, and from there a position in our Legislative district.

We didn't and still don't have the Chairman in our County and there's been a lot of infighting, but during my election I used the Rand approach and made inroads with the neocons. My buddy and I authored a couple nullification resolutions and got into some heated arguments with the opposition, but when I ran I decided to put all of that in the past so I could get the support of as many influential people as possible.

I really owe it to my friend who is already on the council for working virtually non-stop on the campaign. We hung a precinct map on the wall at my house and we researched the Council election results for the past ten years. From here we identified the top five precincts for voter turnout. Then we ordered 5,000 door hangers and I started going door-to-door in the these neighborhoods. I made sure to dress professionally, smile, and introduce myself to each voter. I also made sure to ask them if they have any concerns or issues. If someone strongly agreed with my platform (Defend Property Rights, Promote Transparency, Prioritize Spending, Rebuild Infrastructure, and Preserve Historical Heritage) then I would ask them if they wanted a yard sign.

We ordered 200 yard signs and deployed them to every house that asked for one. On corner lots in strategic areas we would make sure to put two in. We also decorated a float for a local rodeo parade and all the Paulers marched with me with campaign t-shirts and passed out candy and water bottles with our sticker on them. We set up a booth at the County Fair, hung our banner there, and passed out door hangers and water bottles there as well. We did phone banking based on different lists we had acquired.

I went to three debates, the last of which was televised. Before the first debate my buddy and I went over a host of questions and tried to anticipate every one that might come up. The paper tried to smear me on some of the issues, but I held steadfast and never flip-flopped. I also never paid for a single ad in the paper. We outspent our opponents on radio ads instead, and I also ordered a mailer of 5,000 and sent it in the high voter turnout saturated areas to registered voters only.

We also had several large signs made and placed them around town in the high traffic areas. I had teams of people helping me go door-to-door. Towards the end of the election there wasn't as much time to talk to every voter so we just started canvassing. I also did tv and radio interviews. I had lots of friends write letters to the editor for me. That's about all I can think of for now. It was a lot of work, but it paid off!

Also, I tried to make public appearances whenever I could. I had influential friends of mine meet me at popular bars, etc. and had them introduce me to more influential people. I attended Chamber of Commerce events, charities, and did some volunteer work, really anything to get more exposure. At these events I didn't really campaign or wear any campaign material. I just showed up and introduced myself. Every now and then someone would say "I know you from somewhere" and this was my opportunity to say who I was and that I'm running. I think this is a more humble approach that works vs. being a phony and going around trying to push that I was running on anyone and everyone.

That was a great strategy!

Barrex
11-07-2013, 12:27 PM
How many votes did you get?
How much money did you spend?
How many people were involved in your campaign?
How many man hours?
How many woman hours?
What.... is your quest?
What.... is your favorite color?
What.... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

CaptLouAlbano
11-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Note to everyone. Read posts 37 & 38! This is how you win elections. Now go and do likewise.