PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Still Not Learning; Votes For 25% Tax on Recreational Marijauna

AuH20
11-06-2013, 10:47 AM
All those activists have to feel pretty stung right about now. They created a cash cow to pay for the Colorado Educational System. ROFL

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/supporters-declare-victory-colorado-measure-tax-recreational-pot-044430275.html

compromise
11-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Looks like these guys have lost me as a delegate.

belian78
11-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Just ensuring that there will still be a strong black market for MJ in CO. Which maybe is the plan? That way they can say 'see? we tried to give you what you wanted, but the crime only got worse!!'

surf
11-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Just ensuring that there will still be a strong black market for MJ in CO. Which maybe is the plan? That way they can say 'see? we tried to give you what you wanted, but the crime only got worse!!'same thing in Washington State (w/3 25% taxes levied along the way - growers, distributors, and retail). the "black" market has seen prices drop during this "transition" to setting up state licensed retail stores - and the state is behind the schedule called for in the initiative.

the revenue figures were always inflated. and the people that I've run across that have thought about this have come to the conclusion that the only folks that will visit licensed retailers are those "that make six-figures."

green73
11-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Yeah but five counties voted to "explore" secession further, lol

familydog
11-06-2013, 11:34 AM
In Soviet Pennsylvania, one pays 24% tax on all hard liquor and wine. The money goes to pay for whatever the heck the legislature wants. It will take an act of nature to rid ourselves of this tax. Good luck Colorado.

Snew
11-06-2013, 11:39 AM
decriminalization>"legalization"

oyarde
11-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Colorado has been statist since before any of us were born, there were towns there where liquor was illegal before prohibition.

oyarde
11-06-2013, 11:52 AM
There are towns where it is illegal to pan gold .Hopefully mountain lions eat them all :)

FSP-Rebel
11-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Looks like these guys have lost me as a delegate.
I see what you did there:D

fr33
11-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Colorado has been statist since before any of us were born, there were towns there where liquor was illegal before prohibition.

Hmm well Colorado's laws on alcohol are way better than Texas.

Peace Piper
11-06-2013, 01:00 PM
same thing in Washington State (w/3 25% taxes levied along the way - growers, distributors, and retail). the "black" market has seen prices drop during this "transition" to setting up state licensed retail stores - and the state is behind the schedule called for in the initiative.

the revenue figures were always inflated. and the people that I've run across that have thought about this have come to the conclusion that the only folks that will visit licensed retailers are those "that make six-figures."

Now the State Liquor Control Board (State Cannabis Control board) wants to force the medical users to quit home grows, lower the allowed amount, and prohibit dispensaries.

Who could have guessed such a thing?

502 is a horrible law that only legalized a state ripoff and put the LCB in total control.

New Medical Marijuana Regulations Proposed In Washington

The group’s proposal involves lowering the amount of cannabis that patients are allowed to possess and restricts qualifying patient conditions more tightly. Further, the suggestions would force medical marijuana patients to obtain their cannabis from locations licensed under Washington’s recreational marijuana law
http://www.medicaljane.com/2013/10/22/new-medical-marijuana-regulations-proposed-in-washington/

Too bad the pro 502 people wouldn't tolerate any debate on their foolish law.

twomp
11-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Taxes suck but it's still better than throwing people in jail for it and ruining peoples lives while lining the pockets of the prison industry. Hopefully other states will see this as a cash cow and legalize it everywhere. From then, we can work on getting rid of the taxes. Baby steps I know but at least its a step in the right direction for once.

Peace Piper
11-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Taxes suck but it's still better than throwing people in jail for it and ruining peoples lives while lining the pockets of the prison industry. Hopefully other states will see this as a cash cow and legalize it everywhere. From then, we can work on getting rid of the taxes. Baby steps I know but at least its a step in the right direction for once.

http://www.chrisspivey.co.uk/wp-content/themes/itheme2/themify/img.php?src=http://www.chrisspivey.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Mark-Lester-as-Oliver-Twi-007.jpg&w=300&h=275

Hopefully other states will NOT see this as a Cash Cow. The Citizens demand legalization. Legalize it. There would be plenty of money for these fat lazy bureaucrats if half of our $ didn't go towards bombing and enslaving people 8000 miles away (http://costofwar.com).

It's humiliating (or should be) to pay the people that went around locking up herb smokers to now "allow" it. Where are the REBELS?

Working Poor
11-06-2013, 03:15 PM

I sounds like they could still lock people up for growing...

thoughtomator
11-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Better to have it treated like tobacco than to throw people in jail and ruin lives over it.

twomp
11-06-2013, 03:18 PM
http://www.chrisspivey.co.uk/wp-content/themes/itheme2/themify/img.php?src=http://www.chrisspivey.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Mark-Lester-as-Oliver-Twi-007.jpg&w=300&h=275

Hopefully other states will NOT see this as a Cash Cow. The Citizens demand legalization. Legalize it. There would be plenty of money for these fat lazy bureaucrats if half of our $ didn't go towards bombing and enslaving people 8000 miles away (http://costofwar.com).

It's humiliating (or should be) to pay the people that went around locking up herb smokers to now "allow" it. Where are the REBELS?

It is a "consumption" tax. You don't have to pay the tax if you don't buy the product. This tax is NOT being forced on you if you don't smoke. Yet, in other states, you can smoke the very same thing and spend a few years in jail for it. There are bigger things to rebel against. Taxes are bad but this is still a step in the right direction if it means voters are willing to support it.

Feeding the Abscess
11-06-2013, 03:19 PM
One step forward, two steps to the side.

thoughtomator
11-06-2013, 03:21 PM
It is a "consumption" tax. You don't have to pay the tax if you don't buy the product. This tax is NOT being forced on you if you don't smoke. Yet, in other states, you can smoke the very same thing and spend a few years in jail for it. There are bigger things to rebel against. Taxes are bad but this is still a step in the right direction if it means voters are willing to support it.

Most importantly, governments need incentive to decriminalize, and tax revenues are an incentive they rarely if ever turn down.

Elias Graves
11-06-2013, 04:51 PM
What did folks think was gonna happen?

Keith and stuff
11-06-2013, 05:01 PM
In Soviet Pennsylvania, one pays 24% tax on all hard liquor and wine. The money goes to pay for whatever the heck the legislature wants. It will take an act of nature to rid ourselves of this tax. Good luck Colorado.

But in NH there is no tax on liquor. And NH has the lowest liquor prices in the nation. And NH has the highest per capita liquor sales in the nation.

So, if all 50 states legalize the retail selling of cannabis, then 1-2 might repeat the NH model and not tax the sales tax, in order to get the tourists and make money on ways other than taxation. So everything might not be horrible in the future.

AFPVet
11-06-2013, 06:50 PM
decriminalization>"legalization"

Decriminalization is a step in the right direction, but even with decriminalization, you can still get a ticket for using it. Also, you don't have access to the same quality 'products' that you do under legalization (unless you personally know the grower/distributor).

Peace Piper
11-06-2013, 07:16 PM

Except in Washington their "legalization" (really Decriminalization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decriminalization)) made the situation worse.

No one was going to jail for smoking a joint and few people were getting popped for under an ounce. Another year or 2 and they could have had real legalization instead of the clusterF* they bought in to.

Now, the entire industry is controlled by the Liquor Control board. Only an ounce and under is decriminalized - 30 grams and it's just like before. No home growing is allowed and the LCB is trying to outlaw medical growing and dispensaries. The DUID law was changed thanks to this horrible decrim to the point where anyone that smokes any amount at all is now guilty of a DUI.

You can define the word tax however you want but sometimes what looks like a step in the right direction is not.

These people are now going to have to pay the bastards that used to lock them up and you are welcome to do that but if I lived in WA or a state that did that I'd move first. Washingtonians were too lazy to even figure out that the media and the supporters of that fiasco were lying about the content of the law. Now they pay. And pay and pay. And the LCB isn't going to ever let it go.

devil21
11-06-2013, 07:20 PM
I didn't read the article but iirc, this tax in CO was put forth as "Either you accept this egregious tax or we'll ban mj again" from the legislature.

twomp
11-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Except in Washington their "legalization" (really Decriminalization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decriminalization)) made the situation worse.

No one was going to jail for smoking a joint and few people were getting popped for under an ounce. Another year or 2 and they could have had real legalization instead of the clusterF* they bought in to.

Now, the entire industry is controlled by the Liquor Control board. Only an ounce and under is decriminalized - 30 grams and it's just like before. No home growing is allowed and the LCB is trying to outlaw medical growing and dispensaries. The DUID law was changed thanks to this horrible decrim to the point where anyone that smokes any amount at all is now guilty of a DUI.

You can define the word tax however you want but sometimes what looks like a step in the right direction is not.

These people are now going to have to pay the bastards that used to lock them up and you are welcome to do that but if I lived in WA or a state that did that I'd move first. Washingtonians were too lazy to even figure out that the media and the supporters of that fiasco were lying about the content of the law. Now they pay. And pay and pay. And the LCB isn't going to ever let it go.

So you would rather they get locked up then pay a tax for buying weed? You are getting upset that people are WILLING to pay that tax rather then get locked up and NOT pay the tax. If the taxes ever get to absurd, people will find ways around it. The issue here is that they won't get locked up for carrying and smoking it like in other states. Spin it how you like though.

IndianaPolitico
11-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Well, when the usual argument is "legalize it and tax it", this can be expected I guess. At least they didn't raise a tax on food, like some in Indiana are talking about.

surf
11-06-2013, 11:21 PM

These people are now going to have to pay the bastards that used to lock them up and you are welcome to do that but if I lived in WA or a state that did that I'd move first. Washingtonians were too lazy to even figure out that the media and the supporters of that fiasco were lying about the content of the law. Now they pay. And pay and pay. And the LCB isn't going to ever let it go.I voted for the initiative, I think I even gathered a page of signatures for it. and just about everything you say above is true, though the bad points were more well known than you imply. everyone I know understood how poorly written this initiative was and how unrealistic many of the financial assumptions were.

I mean, the LCB hired some dumbass "professor" from a CA school as a consultant on this.... and for all I know that may have been part of the initiative.

the main reason that I voted for this is that i'm tired of giving the cops an easy excuse.

and, for what it's worth, the notoriously assholeish Seattle PD seems much friendlier this year.

eduardo89
11-06-2013, 11:45 PM
All those activists have to feel pretty stung right about now. They created a cash cow to pay for the Colorado Educational System. ROFL

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/supporters-declare-victory-colorado-measure-tax-recreational-pot-044430275.html

Yahoo Canada??? You're Canadian?!

oyarde
11-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Sin taxes are immoral. What right does the govt have to single out people for tax ? None.Nor should people pay them , these are an act of war upon the people.

Christian Liberty
11-07-2013, 12:18 AM
A couple of things.

First, if you could buy illegally before the law, why can't you still buy illegally now? I don't see how creating a legal option, even if its one filled with taxes, could be a bad thing. Mind you, I agree that it should ALWAYS be legal, but I don't see how this isn't a step in the right direction. Buying illegally still seems like it would be possible.

Second, which crime is worse, theft, or kidnapping? Neither is OK, but I think its obvious that theft is the less bad crime here.

Do we need to move further? Yeah. Does that mean legalizing pot in Co and Wa was a bad idea? I don't think so. How could it be?

Rudeman
11-07-2013, 12:25 AM
I'll wait for speciallyblend's post on this...