PDA

View Full Version : Union moves to arm TSA agents...

CaseyJones
11-05-2013, 09:56 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/arming-tsa-officers-hits-resistance-on-the-hill-99345.html

Friday’s slaying of a Transportation Security Administration officer at Los Angeles International Airport is fueling calls from union leaders to give some of the agency’s employees guns, handcuffs and the power to make arrests.

But that would be a tough sell for many conservatives in Congress, where some lawmakers until recently were trying to take away TSA agents’ badges.
Continue Reading

The fatal shooting of Gerardo Hernandez and the ensuing gunfight at LAX called attention to a long-running debate over the powers of TSA, whose screeners aren’t considered law enforcement officers even though many of them wear badges. The 39-year-old Hernandez was the first TSA officer killed in the line of duty in the agency’s history.

Federal prosecutors have filed homicide and other charges against 23-year-old Los Angeles resident Paul Ciancia, whom authorities have suggested was specifically targeting TSA employees.

Both lawmakers and the Obama administration have called for reviewing airport security procedures after the shooting spree. But union officials are already offering a concrete proposal: create a new category of TSA agent in addition to the 45,000 existing screeners. People in the new positions would be law enforcement officers, who could carry handcuffs and firearms as well as make arrests.

belian78
11-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Problem, Reaction, Solution straight from the playbook.

Lucille
11-05-2013, 10:01 AM
I will never fly out of any US airport again. We're going to visit Chile, and we're driving to Mexico to depart from there. We'll drive to whatever other state we want to go to in the US. Sadly, I guess we've been to the Hawaiian islands for the last time.

phill4paul
11-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Of course they do. It's been in the works for awhile now.

http://www.gsnmagazine.com/node/30332

TSA wants to hire the use of a firearms range within a 20 mile radius of LaGuardia Airport in Queens, NY, to which it could send its employees and DHS personnel for quarterly qualifications and firearms training that it expects would consume nearly half a million rounds per year.....

jllundqu
11-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Well.... that was fast

Christian Liberty
11-05-2013, 10:16 AM
The 39-year-old Hernandez was the first TSA officer killed in the line of duty in the agency’s history.

Is it bad that I really don't care that he was killed? I view the TSA officers as our enemies as such.

I don't condone the action, of course, but I really feel no compassion either. Maybe I should, but I don't. Same thing if a US soldier gets killed while invading Iraq. Don't take a job that involves having to aggress against the innocent.

Christian Liberty
11-05-2013, 10:17 AM
We'll drive to whatever other state we want to go to in the US. Sadly, I guess we've been to the Hawaiian islands for the last time.

Is there no other way to get there?

seapilot
11-05-2013, 10:35 AM
A shooter kills a TSA agent in the airport. Quick solution is to arm TSA agents. A shooter kills children in a school , but the solution to quickly arm the teachers or principals to protect children is scoffed as crazy. Hypocrisy.

Lucille
11-05-2013, 10:38 AM

I suppose we could take a boat, but I believe the TSA will be naked scanning and molesting those travelers real soon too, if they're not already. A cruise is not something we've ever wanted to do though. We've been twice, once to Maui and once to Kauai, and it's a big world!

If only I was a federal politician and could afford a private charter flight!

TruckinMike
11-05-2013, 11:26 AM
A shooter kills a TSA agent in the airport. Quick solution is to arm TSA agents.... Thats crazy, they should be calling for less guns in the hands of TSA ...whats wrong with them?!!! Are they insane??? LOL!!

bunklocoempire
11-05-2013, 11:54 AM
A shooter kills a TSA agent in the airport. Quick solution is to arm TSA agents. A shooter kills children in a school , but the solution to quickly arm the teachers or principals to protect children is scoffed as crazy. Hypocrisy.

Yep. How many of us have had murders/violence in our own areas?

The estimated chance of being a victim of a violent crime in ******** **** is 1 in 534 <-- Those are my odds.

Citizen safety is clearly not the Feds goal.

donnay
11-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Well.... that was fast

That's how they roll with their tyranny.

donnay
11-05-2013, 12:03 PM
*Double post*

pcosmar
11-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Unsurprised.

Expected even.

It was the reason that there was a shooting.

Lucille
11-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Arm a bunch of low-IQ goons with power-and-control fetishes (and soon to come, qualified immunity) in an area already paranoid over terrorists, crowded with mundanes? What could go wrong?

coastie
11-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Arm bunch of low-IQ goons with power-and-control fetishes (and soon to come, qualified immunity) in an area already paranoid over terrorists, crowded with mundanes? What could go wrong?

Not to worry, Mundane. Policies and procedures will always be followed.

HOLLYWOOD
11-05-2013, 02:21 PM
More and more government agencies arming with assault weapons... anyone see a problem where government can't even do a website, or still can't manage HC, SS, P.gov pensions, on & on... but see no problem giving more gov zombies and sycophants killing mechanism?

I don't trust these corrupt-racketeering criminals with one penny, let alone, giving TSA weapons.

PS: Does that mean government arms TSA, local, county, and state LE are no longer needed or expensed at airports/transportation hubs?

Contumacious
11-05-2013, 02:23 PM
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/arming-tsa-officers-hits-resistance-on-the-hill-99345.html

I believe the right thing for them to do is resign en masse.

They are unnecessary and unconstitutional.

pcosmar
11-05-2013, 02:59 PM
. Policies and procedures will always be followed.

My biggest concern,, always.

Working Poor
11-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Oh Boy...

Dr.3D
11-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Just one more part of Obama's civilian army getting it's arms.

Lucille
11-05-2013, 04:51 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2013/11/05/tsa-union-calls-for-guns-everybody-with

Shooting you in the face is one of the few awful things the Transportation Security Administration’s employees can’t do to you.

But one guy loses his mind (maybe) and kills one and obviously the next thing that’s going to happen is a fearmongering response designed to create more jobs and give the most intrusive, invasive government agency we’ve created (because at least the National Security Agency can’t physically fondle you) more power.
[...]
One person’s “unfairly demonized workforce” is another person’s stolen iPads and parking passes, brutal humiliation, ignorance-based ethnic discrimination and nearly 10,000 complaints of misconduct over two years.

It doesn’t seem likely that this rather extreme response is going to get much of anywhere. CNN reports objections from Congress members, police unions protecting their turf, and even former DHS Secretary Tom Ridge thinks it’s not a good idea:
[...]
During CNN’s rather terrible coverage of the shooting on Friday, some talking head (possibly with the union or TSA, but I missed the identification) complained that TSA agents are “sitting ducks” in a live-shooter scenario. Funny, so are the rest of us, by government diktat.

cajuncocoa
11-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Comply, citizen! Or else!

Root
11-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Mundane shoots mundane: ban guns for mundames
Mundane shoots agent of the state: more guns for the state

FindLiberty
11-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Now more than ever, in light of all these recent fatal shooting trends, dogs need guns too!
Man's best friend and all...
It's for their own protection.

Dr.3D
11-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Now more than ever, in light of all these recent fatal shooting trends, dogs need guns too!
Man's best friend and all...
It's for their own protection.
Was going to buy a Glock for my Doberman, but I couldn't find one his cubby little fingers could wrap around.

DGambler
11-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Serious question, is there even going to be an election in 2016?

juvanya
11-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Im shocked. /sarcasm

Henry Rogue
11-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Mundane shoots mundane: ban guns for mundames
Mundane shoots agent of the state: more guns for the state
Agent of state shoots mundane: high fives and promotions

Henry Rogue
11-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Serious question, is there even going to be an election in 2016? Of course, but don't expect any change.

FindLiberty
11-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Was going to buy a Glock for my Doberman, but I couldn't find one his cubby little fingers could wrap around. That's the easy part (modify a anti-bark training collar to activate any desired rapid-fire weapon using a small servo motor). The tricky part is teaching the dog to aim and then bark at only the right time... it could get messy.

Danke
11-05-2013, 10:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw4JmMyYNMA

Feeding the Abscess
11-05-2013, 10:52 PM
This is how the state works:

Republicans create a massive new bureaucracy of the federal government, one part of which is the TSA.

Democrats support government workers and unions, and will fight tooth and nail to keep power in their hands.

Republicans, when out of power, whine and complain in general, unspecific terms about 'big government' to get back into power.

Rinse and repeat.

shane77m
11-05-2013, 11:00 PM

Of course, but don't expect any change.

It appears that the only options that are approaching are non compliance and opting out. Be prepared for the hammer to fall.

enhanced_deficit
11-05-2013, 11:57 PM
So privacy rapers tax payers funded gropers will be armed with guns now?
Freedom on the march again.

http://kickthemallout.com/images/Photos/Dees/grope_dees.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=7Rr2wTnUtaCWrM&tbnid=2WIVMErQGy6crM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickthemallout.com%2Farticle. php%2FVideo-Japanese_Lampoons_TSA_Pat-Downs&ei=Ltl5Uv-uLsrskQfW4IDgCw&bvm=bv.55980276,d.eW0&psig=AFQjCNFobja5rDqJ2XXLdCCDXErdRfSYDA&ust=1383803536949615)https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKc8Ql6Zpu0fhnNqiKa6r6xVb6yw8mU-wDgcL_PM0OGY7Fmk5Stg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=BB-VIUTuI-T3NM&tbnid=NFeEevPciT7LzM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.outsidethebeltway.com%2Ftsa-misses-loaded-gun-inadvertantly-left-in-passengerss-computer-bag%2F&ei=Rtp5UtjjBMi6kQfe5IDoCw&bvm=bv.55980276,d.eW0&psig=AFQjCNFobja5rDqJ2XXLdCCDXErdRfSYDA&ust=1383803536949615)

Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Mani
11-06-2013, 03:39 AM

Cruise ships.

Christian Liberty
11-06-2013, 08:58 PM

Taking away elections would be the absolute stupidest action the people in charge could take. Giving us the illusion of choice, despite a lack of real choice, is far smarter for them.

kcchiefs6465
11-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Taking away elections would be the absolute stupidest action the people in charge could take. Giving us the illusion of choice, despite a lack of real choice, is far smarter for them.
There will come a time where no rhetorical changes will satisfy the people. 2016 is a little early, in my opinion, though these things often times are sporadic.

The thing about it is, if people are not educated beforehand, the change that will result will be for the worse.

DamianTV
11-06-2013, 09:36 PM
There will come a time where no rhetorical changes will satisfy the people. 2016 is a little early, in my opinion, though these things often times are sporadic.

The thing about it is, if people are not educated beforehand, the change that will result will be for the worse.

And advertisements are a form of Miseducation.

Indoctrination doesnt end just because one is out of Skool.