PDA

View Full Version : US Officials Say Forget About Clemency for Snowden

DamianTV
11-04-2013, 04:56 PM
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/11/us-officials-say-forget-about-clemency-for-snowden/

If it wasn't already clear that the US government was unhappy with National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden—and the feds want him extradited, President Obama denounced him—it is now. Today, the chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), and her House counterpart, Mike Rogers (R-MI), both emphasized there would be no mercy coming from Washington.

“He was trusted; he stripped our system; he had an opportunity—if what he was, was a whistle-blower—to pick up the phone and call the House Intelligence Committee, the Senate Intelligence Committee, and say I have some information,” Feinstein told CBS' Face The Nation. "But that didn’t happen. He’s done this enormous disservice to our country, and I think the answer is no clemency.”

Rogers appeared on the same show and was equally direct when asked about potential clemency. "I don’t see any reason,” he said. “I wouldn’t do that. He needs to come back and own up. We can have those conversations, if he believes there are vulnerabilities he’d like to disclose.”

Talks of clemency bubbled up in light of a meeting Snowden had in Moscow with German politician, Hans-Christian Ströbele. According to The New York Times, Snowden gave the politician a letter for Washington in which the subject of clemency came up.

Still, Snowden has no misunderstandings. In the letter, Snowden said only international support could stop Washington's "persecution" of him. And despite all the ill-will back home, Snowden today expressed satisfaction through his "Manifesto of Truth" essay published in Der Spiegel (seemingly unavailable online at the time of this post). Snowden determined his leaks are ultimately justified because of the conversation and call for reform that has sprung up since, Reuters reports.

surf
11-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Glenn Greenwald ‏@ggreenwald 11h
The US media fabricated this "Snowden is pleading for clemency" fairy tale - where did this happen? Where did he "plead for clemency"

another tweet later about clapper pleading for clemency...

ZENemy
11-04-2013, 05:05 PM
FUCK the US OFFICIALS.

We the people can grant Snowden anything he wants as soon as we realize it.

Philhelm
11-04-2013, 07:16 PM
When the time comes no mercy shall be shown to the true enemies of the United States.

dannno
11-04-2013, 07:20 PM
“He was trusted; he stripped our system; he had an opportunity—if what he was, was a whistle-blower—to pick up the phone and call the House Intelligence Committee, the Senate Intelligence Committee, and say I have some information,”

Ok, I really did lol....

specsaregood
11-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Ok, I really did lol....

right, he'd call them up and what would they say?
"thanks, but we already know and approve of it. Please wait at your current location while we send out a kill squad. thx, bye."

WM_in_MO
11-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Ok, I really did lol....

Yea, snitch to the official persons please. Just don't tell the enemy i mean the public.

Thor
11-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Fuck you and the high horse you rode in on....

DGambler
11-04-2013, 07:56 PM
I thought the lawmakers were outraged by his revelations? What gives, I'm so confused... Back to watching American Idol, it's so much easier.

Thor
11-04-2013, 08:02 PM
I thought the lawmakers were outraged by his revelations? What gives, I'm so confused... Back to watching American Idol, it's so much easier.

American Idol? But fuckball is on...

dannno
11-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Yea, snitch to the official persons please. Just don't tell the enemy i mean the public.

It'd be like one of the guards at Auschwitz wanting to whistleblow to Hitler about killing all these Jews..

"Hey Hitler, you wouldn't believe what's going on, you have to put a stop to this!!"

Henry Rogue
11-05-2013, 12:00 AM
“He was trusted; he stripped our system; he had an opportunity—if what he was, was a whistle-blower—to pick up the phone and call the House Intelligence Committee, the Senate Intelligence Committee, and say I have some information,” Feinstein told CBS' Face The Nation. "But that didn’t happen. He’s done this enormous disservice to our country, and I think the answer is no clemency.”Wait a minute, I thought you work for us. If we're the boss, shouldn't we be privy to this information? Oh that's right, the whole government works for the people line is bs.

Natural Citizen
11-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Wait a minute, I thought you work for us. If we're the boss, shouldn't we be privy to this information? Oh that's right, the whole government works for the people line is bs.

Well. Unfortunately they have all went to Washington to become multi-millionaires so when they say "National Security" what they really mean is protecting themselves and their interests from us...the people.

juvanya
11-05-2013, 06:27 AM
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/11/us-officials-say-forget-about-clemency-for-snowden/

Feinstein should be arrested and tried for treason.

tod evans
11-05-2013, 07:08 AM
American Idol? But fuckball is on...

Men in tights?

Cap
11-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Honest question. What happens to someone to turn them into the very definition of evil? I realize that everyone has a dark side, but Feinstein and Rogers? I don't think they have any other side than dark. I wonder, is it a gradual progression or is there some event that triggers that kind of thinking? In your opinion, is someone born a sociopath or is it a learned behavior?

Next question. Do we have an epidemic of sociopaths in the country? I've wondered many times on this board on how we as a civilization could have fallen this far. What the heck happened in this country? It really seems that the bad guys certainly outnumber the good at this point.

Kinda depressing no?

donnay
11-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Feinstein should be arrested and tried for treason.

Just Feinstein?

tod evans
11-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Honest question. What happens to someone to turn them into the very definition of evil? I realize that everyone has a dark side, but Feinstein and Rogers? I don't think they have any other side than dark. I wonder, is it a gradual progression or is there some event that triggers that kind of thinking? In your opinion, is someone born a sociopath or is it a learned behavior?

Next question. Do we have an epidemic of sociopaths in the country? I've wondered many times on this board on how we as a civilization could have fallen this far. What the heck happened in this country? It really seems that the bad guys certainly outnumber the good at this point.

Kinda depressing no?

I don't believe for a moment that the bad-guys outnumber the good, but I do believe they're getting lots more airtime.

belian78
11-05-2013, 08:36 AM
When the time comes no mercy shall be shown to the true enemies of the United States.
I truly, truly wish this was the way it is to be, but I'm just not so sure anymore.

seapilot
11-05-2013, 11:02 AM
People that lie all the time should know better than to trust anyone.

“He was trusted; he stripped our system

System of specifically spying on innocent people. N S A . Nosy Stalkers Anonymous.

Carson
11-05-2013, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure if they should be so hasty calling for no mercy or clemency in the travesty surrounding Edward Snowden.

He did nothing wrong. He reported other people in violation.

GregSarnowski
11-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Snowden isn't a fool. I highly doubt he would come back even if he was "invited" since the government's word means nothing.

“He was trusted; he stripped our system; he had an opportunity—if what he was, was a whistle-blower—to pick up the phone and call the House Intelligence Committee, the Senate Intelligence Committee, and say I have some information,”

As if those committees weren't aware of exactly what was going on and doing nothing!

Not that anyone in the sycophant media is willing to point out that obvious fact.

Wadesc
11-05-2013, 07:19 PM
"Snitches get stitches" - Feinstein

GregSarnowski
11-05-2013, 07:21 PM
The above referenced "Manifesto of Truth", written 11/01/13

This article by Edward Snowden was published Sunday in Der Spiegel.

In a very short time, the world has learned much about unaccountable secret agencies and about sometimes illegal surveillance programs. Sometimes the agencies even deliberately try to hide their surveillance of high officials or the public. While the NSA and GCHQ seem to be the worst offenders – this is what the currently available documents suggest – we must not forget that mass surveillance is a global problem in need of global solutions.

Such programs are not only a threat to privacy, they also threaten freedom of speech and open societies. The existence of spy technology should not determine policy. We have a moral duty to ensure that our laws and values limit monitoring programs and protect human rights.

Society can only understand and control these problems through an open, respectful and informed debate. At first, some governments feeling embarrassed by the revelations of mass surveillance initiated an unprecedented campaign of persecution to supress this debate. They intimidated journalists and criminalized publishing the truth. At this point, the public was not yet able to evaluate the benefits of the revelations. They relied on their governments to decide correctly.

Today we know that this was a mistake and that such action does not serve the public interest. The debate which they wanted to prevent will now take place in countries around the world. And instead of doing harm, the societal benefits of this new public knowledge is now clear, since reforms are now proposed in the form of increased oversight and new legislation.

Citizens have to fight suppression of information on matters of vital public importance. To tell the truth is not a crime.

Snew
11-05-2013, 07:22 PM
"He needs to come back and own up. We can have those conversations give him the Manning treatment then," ~ Rogers

GregSarnowski
11-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Snowden should have a TV show. Now THAT I would pay $10 a month for (or more likely .05 bitcoin).

DGambler
11-05-2013, 07:54 PM
I'd pay to watch a Snowden channel in the currency of his choosing.

juvanya
11-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Just Feinstein?

Im keeping in context of the thread lol

presence
11-06-2013, 08:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FzhanpjKeg