PDA

View Full Version : In Virginia governor’s race, gun control surfaces late as a key issue

RPfan1992
11-02-2013, 06:01 PM
After months of inattention, Ken Cuccinelli II (R) and Terry McAuliffe (D) have drawn the polarizing issue of guns into the spotlight of the Virginia governor’s race.

For once, a Democrat is talking tough about gun control, as if daring the National Rifle Association to take him on. And gun-rights advocates are all too happy to take him up on the challenge. It began with the Oct. 24 candidate’s debate at Virginia Tech, the site of the worst mass shooting by an individual in U.S. history. In response to a question, Cuccinelli boasted of his A rating from the NRA.

And then McAuliffe did something surprising: He said he didn’t give a fig about the powerful lobby’s rating. And, oh, by the way, he had earned an F.

Differences over gun control between Cuccinelli, the state’s attorney general, and McAuliffe, a former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, were not a secret before that debate. But Democrats rarely brag about their support for gun-control measures in statewide elections in pro-gun Virginia. McAuliffe’s change in strategy suggested a play for his liberal base — but also hinted that he felt comfortable changing the playbook in the still-evolving swing state of Virginia.

“I don’t think you’ve seen any Democratic candidate run in Virginia as rabidly anti-gun as McAuliffe has in the last two weeks,” said David Adams, legislative director for the Virginia Shooting Sports Association, the state affiliate of the NRA.

Gun-control groups were equally wound up. Left dispirited by President Obama’s lack of action on firearms, some took heart in hearing a Democrat talking tough about new gun-control measures.

Colin Goddard, who survived four gunshots in the Virginia Tech massacre, said it seemed odd that it took so long for the dynamics of the debate to flip.

“I always thought there was a stark contrast between the candidates at the top of the ticket on this issue,” said Goddard, a senior policy advocate for Mayors Against Illegal Guns. He accused Cuccinelli of trying to change the subject on guns, while McAuliffe has not been shy about calling for universal background checks and other restrictions. “Traditionally, the Democratic candidates have not wanted to talk about this.”

Now, activists on both sides of the issue are hustling to win votes with just days to go until Election Day.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) urgently summoned gun owners to meet Thursday in Springfield to assemble a mailer that would get to voters this weekend, while members of Concerned Citizens Against Gun Violence in McLean scheduled a demonstration before a candidates’ forum Friday night.

Outsiders have also taken a stand. The Independence USA PAC, created by New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (I), has spent nearly $2.3 million in Virginia this year, according to records with the Virginia Public Access Project, riling up gun-rights advocates who see him as a busybody.

“Obviously, the fact that the mayor of New York is coming down to play games in Virginia – that’s probably energizing people even more so,” said Jim Snyder, who as VCDL’s vice president arranged to put 7,000 mailings together at Thursday’s meeting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/in-virginia-governors-race-gun-control-surfaces-late-as-a-key-issue/2013/11/01/0733d32c-4249-11e3-a624-41d661b0bb78_story.html

seapilot
11-02-2013, 08:44 PM
This will be interesting if this has any bearing on the race. People that own guns tend to be single issue voters, especially now that the democrat is openly talking about it before they are elected. Even Obama was not that stupid.

Matt Collins
11-02-2013, 09:07 PM
unless you mailed it first class, yesterday before sort time, it's way too late for direct mail.... but overall, the gun control issue is an interesting take

Lord Xar
11-03-2013, 12:40 AM

Lord Xar
11-03-2013, 12:41 AM
And knowing how lame GOP candidates usually are in actually covering topics that voters care about in Ads / Commercials/ Radio -- another good opportunity to turn out a few thousand votes, perhaps -- to sway towards the Cooch.

Radio is cheap. And gun owners WILL COME OUT and vote if they know how rabid anti-2nd amendment the Dem is.

But alas, I'm sure nothing will be made of it.

Also, c'mon - who opens mail during election time? You need radio ads, imho.

speciallyblend
11-03-2013, 12:43 AM
the gop doesn't even have the balls to come out on an issue 58% of americans agree on! grow some balls gop!!

and the gop didn't think to use the gun issue from the beginning? or how about opposing the failed drug war 100% or finding common ground with 58% of americans.

sadly the gop deserves to lose.

speciallyblend
11-03-2013, 12:55 AM
And knowing how lame GOP candidates usually are in actually covering topics that voters care about in Ads / Commercials/ Radio -- another good opportunity to turn out a few thousand votes, perhaps -- to sway towards the Cooch.

Radio is cheap. And gun owners WILL COME OUT and vote if they know how rabid anti-2nd amendment the Dem is.

But alas, I'm sure nothing will be made of it.

Also, c'mon - who opens mail during election time? You need radio ads, imho.

imagine if they grew some balls and ran radio ads opposing the police state,drug war and supported legalizing marijuana instead of fence sitting and 100% protecting gun rights. They might actually win. That would go against everything they have stood for.

FrankRep
11-03-2013, 01:04 AM
the gop doesn't even have the balls to come out on an issue 58% of americans agree on! grow some balls gop!!

and the gop didn't think to use the gun issue from the beginning? or how about opposing the failed drug war 100% or finding common ground with 58% of americans.

sadly the gop deserves to lose.

Why don't you run for office as the Pro-Heroin candidate and see how far you get.
Once you get elected, I'm sure other candidates will follow your strategy.

speciallyblend
11-03-2013, 01:22 AM
Why don't you run for office as the Pro-Heroin candidate and see how far you get.

there goes the drama queen again, obviously you missed the whole point. you are the only one mentioning heroin, typical right winger nut.

i guess you missed the memo, candidates are already winning on this very issue.

speciallyblend
11-03-2013, 01:26 AM

haha, funny you say that since i never mentioned your right wing nut line. I am talking about a 58% support for legalizing marijuana and endingthe failed drug war winning issues across this country for those with balls. As well as a winning issue in colorado. Go ahead mock me and ignore the warnings. grow some balls. It is already a winning issue and has been. It is at the basic level of freedom and liberty.

are you saying supporting marijuana a basic level liberty issue is not a winning issue? what rock have you been under?

are you suggesting you cannot win an election with a 58% support base? if so that is your own damn fault as well as the gop for being pro drug war anti -marijuana and anti-liberty. sounds like fossil fuel to me.

Petar
11-03-2013, 01:29 AM
Shooting guns and smoking dope at the same time is unsafe.

speciallyblend
11-03-2013, 01:34 AM

funny you say that because i have helped get folks in colorado elected;) I have already been walking the walk and talking the talk. I have no plans on running anytime soon but i am available to help folks get elected in colorado and will help where i can for out of staters.

if you want to bank roll me to run,feel free to let me know and send lots of $$$$.

speciallyblend
11-03-2013, 01:36 AM
Shooting guns and smoking dope at the same time is unsafe.

and who is promoting that? no one,maybe all the redneck beer drinkers with guns? personal responsibility!! though that voter base has alot of crossover, since marijuana smokers and gun owners are very responsible.

Petar
11-03-2013, 01:39 AM
and who is promoting that? no one,maybe all the redneck beer drinkers with guns? personal responsibility!!

Nah, I'm just messin' with you.. was hoping that you would flip your wig... why can't you like calm down and just sort of play the game a bit? there will be no progress without strategizing and prioritizing things. I really wish that you could understand that more.

Petar
11-03-2013, 01:52 AM
For example; someone like Rand Paul coming out against pot smoking but at the same time working towards ending the Federal war on drugs will free up States to make their own drug laws if he is successful. Anyone who claims to be against the war on drugs is just shooting themselves in the foot if they can't get behind that.

What you have to understand is that politics is a big game. Look around; the masses are really really stupid in case you have not noticed. If you are going to achieve liberty then you are basically going to have to trick all of the idiots in the world into supporting you.

And don't give me this crap about localized tyranny being just as bad as federal tyranny. Federal = control of the whole country, State = control over one State. Don't be so fanatical about one issue that you can't even recognize progress when it's happening right in front of your face.

speciallyblend
11-03-2013, 01:54 AM
Nah, I'm just messin' with you.. was hoping that you would flip your wig... why can't you like calm down and just sort of play the game a bit? there will be no progress without strategizing and prioritizing things. I really wish that you could understand that more.

i do and i didn't flip my whig haha;) i have held true to my beliefs and they have become winning issues though at first it was a tough road. I have 0 tolerance(sorry stole it from the drug war mongers) for fence sitters or anyone not willing to support basic level liberty. The Marijuana issue is not even about marijuana anymore . it is a SMELL TEST no pun intended:) If a gop candidate cannot support liberty at the basic level. Then i have no need for their BS, simple as that. It has worked in Colorado and even Virginia and for me as a voter and i will continue to hold them to the smell test along with a majority voter base in our state and a growing one nationally that will only grow further. The best way to lose is ignore the 58% nationally and a solid majority voter base in Colorado over the last 20 years.

I think i know politics very well been involved since i was 18, that makes 27 years of activism and politics. I have learned to JUST SAY NO to the fence sitters and it is working very well as a voter. Actually testified in the va general assembly and helped change some marijuana laws when i lived in VA!!

Petar
11-03-2013, 02:01 AM
i do and i didn't flip my whig haha;) i have held true to my beliefs and they have become winning issues though at first it was a tough road. I have 0 tolerance(sorry stole it from the drug war mongers) for fence sitters or anyone not willing to support basic level liberty. The Marijuana issue is not even about marijuana anymore . it is a SMELL TEST no pun intended:) If a gop candidate cannot support liberty at the basic level. Then i have no need for their BS, simple as that. It has worked in Colorado and even Virginia and for me as a voter and i will continue to hold them to the smell test along with a majority voter base in out state and a growing one nationally that will only grow further. The best way to lose is ignore the 58% nationally and a solid majority voter base in Colorado over the last 20 years.

I think i know politics very well been involved since i was 18, that makes 27 years of activism and politics. I have learned to JUST SAY NO to the fence sitters and it is working very well as a voter. Actually testified in the va general assembly and helped change some marijuana laws when i lived in VA!!

Ok, but surely you realize that local politics are one thing, and every State is another, and then Federal politics is another ballgame completely.

I mean you saw how Ron did in the polls right? If progress is going to happen at the presidential level then clearly the approach will have to be different.

And face it; Rand Paul is actually extremely good at what he does, and actually has a chance of being elected.

Things would be a lot better with a Rand Paul presidency, so I just don't know why you can't support that.

speciallyblend
11-03-2013, 02:10 AM
For example; someone like Rand Paul coming out against pot smoking but at the same time working towards ending the Federal war on drugs will free up States to make their own drug laws if he is successful. Anyone who claims to be against the war on drugs is just shooting themselves in the foot if they can't get behind that.

What you have to understand is that politics is a big game. Look around; the masses are really really stupid in case you have not noticed. If you are going to achieve liberty then you are basically going to have to trick all of the idiots in the world into supporting you.

And don't give me this crap about localized tyranny being just as bad as federal tyranny. Federal = control of the whole country, State = control over one State. Don't be so fanatical about one issue that you can't even recognize progress when it's happening right in front of your face.

might win him a primary but will not win him colorado. I totally understand what your trying to say really i do, but his position on marijuana will not fly and he cannot win a general election in colorado saying marijuana is dangerous as he has been saying. rpf members want to ignore my warnings fine. Then get ready to be served in colorado. The gop candidate will have to come out 100% for personal and medical in colorado or they can kiss this swing state goodbye. If Rand wants me as a delegate he will have to back track and make it loud! He will also have to say it loudly in Colorado. The pandering he has been doing will not fly with me or the colorado voter. If folks want to ignore what i am saying then let them. The same voter base that changed the colorado constitution 2 times will not buy the fence sitting on these issues. I will repeat until rand backtracks, It will not matter who the gop candidate is. If they cannot support the same majority voter base that nullified 2 parties and the fed gov. Then i suggest the gop will not win in 2016. They only have one chance rand paul but even i cannot support him as of right now. All i am suggesting is rand paul reword his positions and come out in full support of legalizing marijuana personal or medical. If he cannot do that? Then i am suggesting he will have lost the election before it begins especially in Colorado. He has the credibility to reverse and stand with 58% of americans and colorado voters. Anyone else in the gop would be laughed at let alone not be trusted.

The only dangerous thing about marijuana is people who say marijuana is dangerous. I wish rand paul could take that back. I can see that repeated all over the air ways as the gop sinks further in colorado and he has no chance winning if he keeps those lines coming.

I will change my sig .when rand backtracks and says what colorado voters want to hear and vote on. Does the gop really want to ignore a voter base that nullified both parties and the fed gov. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flt9K8vlJGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flt9K8vlJGE

eduardo89
11-03-2013, 02:21 AM
might win him a primary but will not win him colorado. I totally understand what your trying to say really i do, but his position on marijuana will not fly and he cannot win a general election in colorado saying marijuana is dangerous as he has been saying.

His position that Colorado gets to decide for itself whether or not to legalise marijuana without federal intervention will hurt him in Colorado?

The senator went on to argue that states such as Washington and Colorado, which both voted to legalize and tax marijuana earlier this month, should be permitted to have their moves stand, despite running contrary to federal laws determining the drug to be an illegal substance.

"States should be allowed to make a lot of these decisions," Paul said. "I want things to be decided more at a local basis, with more compassion. I think it would make us as Republicans different."

He made similar comments in an earlier interview with Politico, saying that he planned to reach across the aisle to Senate Democrats in hopes of addressing his concerns with marijuana sentencing legislatively.

Both Paul and his father, retiring Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), have been outspoken proponents of states' rights and compassion when it comes to marijuana laws. They've also both been avid supporters of legalizing the production of industrial hemp, a non-psychoactive relative of marijuana that has been caught up in the wider net of drug laws.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/20/rand-paul-marijuana_n_2165735.html

speciallyblend
11-03-2013, 02:45 AM
Ok, but surely you realize that local politics are one thing, and every State is another, and then Federal politics is another ballgame completely.

I mean you saw how Ron did in the polls right? If progress is going to happen at the presidential level then clearly the approach will have to be different.

And face it; Rand Paul is actually extremely good at what he does, and actually has a chance of being elected.

Things would be a lot better with a Rand Paul presidency, so I just don't know why you can't support that.

yes but 58% support legal marijuana nationally wish i could make that up. This holds true for virginia as well, just the gop needs to grow some balls instead of tucking them.

speciallyblend
11-03-2013, 02:49 AM
His position that Colorado gets to decide for itself whether or not to legalise marijuana without federal intervention will hurt him in Colorado?

no fence sitting and saying marijuana is dangerous will. Hurt enough already that i will not be a delegate for him. It will cost him a general by trying to fence sit. He will have to reverse his pandering, If not he risks losing an election by losing a vital swing state not to mention national support around 58% keep ignoring what i am saying as you are. you are nit picking doesn't change the fact rand pandered his way out of a delegate and will lose colorado if he keeps the bs fence sitting. rand is agreeing with obama so he has not stuck his neck out at all like you think he has on sentencing or opposing the failed drug war and colorado will not buy the fence sitting which is exactly what rand is trying which is why he lost me as a delegate. do you really want to f#@k with a majority voter base in colorado that nullfied both parties and fed gov. I guess you do. It will not end well. good luck hedging those bets. the gop has a perception of being anti-marijuana and pro drug war. It doesn't help that saying marijuana is dangerous or trying to ride a fence on the failed drug war. keep it up and yeah thegop wins a primary and loses and election. you lose colorado YOU LOSE!! keep ignoring what iam saying and you lose. tel it to rand not me. If rand wants me as a delegate then he has some back tracking to do, if he doesn't want to win colorado overall. Then keep pandering to the right.