PDA

View Full Version : Maddow Hits Back With Another Rand Plagiarism Segment

anaconda
11-02-2013, 04:45 PM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/11/02/maddow-to-rand-paul-good-luck-trying-to-make-this-plagiarism-thing-about-me/

AlexAmore
11-02-2013, 06:07 PM
She's trying to make a comeback after posting her all-time worst ratings ever...and on MSNBC, of all places, is quite the shit hole to dig yourself out of. As we've seen over and over, if you want ratings then talk about Rand.

http://www.businessinsider.com/msnbc-cnn-fox-news-ratings-august-2013-8

RP Supporter
11-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Those comments, ugh. Like one person mentions the NSA over there, only to immediately be abused and piled on for carrying water for Paul, or some such.

These people would rather jump up and down about this non story than actually examine the very real outrages occurring under this administration. Where's the "principled" opposition to spying? To drones? To war in general? Nah. Better to call one of the few people criticizing those things on the Republican side a teabagger or other juvenile names. I guess whatever masks their own shames.

No mistake, Rand or more likely his aides screwed up here. But I'm amazed that this is still a story to those on the left when none of them give a damn that Biden did the same thing. So why was all forgiven with him but it's a grievous sin when Paul does it?

RonPaulFanInGA
11-02-2013, 07:25 PM
I remember this smug man-woman acting as if she killed Rand Paul's Senate bid in May 2010 with that Civil Rights Act interview.

Voters in Kentucky thought otherwise.

Rudeman
11-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Rachel Maddow isn't a relevant person. Rand shouldn't have wasted his time even responding to this.

devil21
11-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Weird. I thought liberals were all for eugenics. See: Sanger, Margaret

lib3rtarian
11-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Geez..criticism where criticism is due. Bad move by Rand. He should have known that everything he say or do will be in the spotlight and will be dissected. Good luck dealing with the mess, Rand.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Good luck dealing with the mess, Rand.

Oh yeah, it's just a huge mess. :rolleyes:

As we all know, conservatives and GOP primary voters all watch MSNBC and as Maddow goes, so do they.

squarepusher
11-02-2013, 10:45 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/1prvlw/an_entire_section_of_kentucky_sen_rand_pauls_2013/

anaconda
11-02-2013, 11:12 PM
I missed this one a few days ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oar7ylG2U0

libertarian101
11-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Geez..criticism where criticism is due. Bad move by Rand. He should have known that everything he say or do will be in the spotlight and will be dissected. Good luck dealing with the mess, Rand.
TROLL ALERT

ObiRandKenobi
11-02-2013, 11:14 PM
we should probably just ignore her the first time i heard about this "story" was here on this website.

juleswin
11-03-2013, 12:19 AM
TROLL ALERT

Troll being opinion I do not agree with. He/she is so not a troll. Rand should know that people like Rachel are going to be watching him from now till the day he gets out of politics for any slip offs. He cannot have these type of faux scandal in the future. The republicans may not care about it, but it might affect the independents one needs to win the general election

randomname
11-03-2013, 03:13 AM
pathetic piece, she's not aging well, becoming more and more repulsive & unlikeable

devil21
11-03-2013, 04:45 AM
TROLL ALERT

I propose a battle to the death between you two to see who is the most l1b3rt@ri@n of them all!

Are you paying attention Hunger Games writers? Duels are nothing new. Ask Richard Burr (SENATOR NC) about his cousin Aaron.

silverhandorder
11-03-2013, 06:52 AM
She is such a moron...

Borrowing sentences from wikipedia sounds so harmless. I watched through the parts that she super imposed to him speaking. Maybe his staffers did just pull that out of wikipedia but who cares besides maddow trying to grab attention?

ObiRandKenobi
11-03-2013, 09:22 AM
She is such a moron...

Borrowing sentences from wikipedia sounds so harmless. I watched through the parts that she super imposed to him speaking. Maybe his staffers did just pull that out of wikipedia but who cares besides maddow trying to grab attention?

exactly this is the most attention she's had since ever.

this is a nothing story.

satchelmcqueen
11-03-2013, 06:26 PM
wtf? report a real story. madow sounds like shes in the 3rd grade.

angelatc
11-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Rachel Maddow isn't a relevant person. Rand shouldn't have wasted his time even responding to this.

Yup. He should not have taken the bait.

specsaregood
11-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Yup. He should not have taken the bait.

I can only reason that Rand is happy to have these attacks coming at him.

klamath
11-03-2013, 06:36 PM
wtf? report a real story. madow sounds like shes in the 3rd grade.I wonder if she devoted this much time to Hillary when Hillary said she saw combat in Bosnia and was under a mortar attack when she landed? Complete proven fabrication.

Working Poor
11-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Oh the libs are saying he wants to meet at the OK Corral for a gun fight...

anaconda
11-03-2013, 07:17 PM

This sounds like good publicity to me.

anaconda
11-03-2013, 07:18 PM
I wonder if she devoted this much time to Hillary when Hillary said she saw combat in Bosnia and was under a mortar attack when she landed? Complete proven fabrication.

I'm guessing that this one has not been lost on Rand nor his staffers. Hillary is so full of shit it's incredible. Hey how about when she said she was named after Sir Edmund Hillary when he hadn't even climbed Mt.Everest at that point?

robert9712000
11-03-2013, 08:51 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/1prvlw/an_entire_section_of_kentucky_sen_rand_pauls_2013/

Reddit is so full of Liberals.Out of 150 comments,my karma is at -4 hehe

devil21
11-04-2013, 12:25 AM
I propose a battle to the death between you two to see who is the most l1b3rt@ri@n of them all!

Are you paying attention Hunger Games writers? Duels are nothing new. Ask Richard Burr (SENATOR NC) about his cousin Aaron.

LOL! Rand, are you reading my posts and using my material? YOU BETTER ATTRIBUTE YOUR DUEL COMMENT TO ME, YOU THIEF ;) :D

Sen. Rand Paul Wishes He Could Challenge Plagiarism Critics to a 'Duel'
http://news.yahoo.com/sen-rand-paul-wishes-could-challenge-plagiarism-critics-181750218--abc-news-topstories.html

randomname
11-04-2013, 01:11 AM
kinda giddy now to see what kind of pathetic piece she will retaliate with for the "dueling" and "hacks & haters" comments

klamath
11-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Honesty Rand shut up. You are playing right into their hands of painting you as an extremist.

FrankRep
11-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Rachel Maddow's show hasn't been cancelled for poor ratings yet?

economics102
11-04-2013, 09:57 AM
EDIT: duplicate post. mods please delete

economics102
11-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Obviously I'm sure Rand is far from the only politician to do this, and I don't begrudge him however he thinks is the best way to handle the situation, but I agree with the critics, when you copy entire paragraphs whole-cloth, word for word from secondary sources and don't note that you're doing it, that's not ok regardless of whether it's academia or politics. When Rand says it would be a bit ridiculous to cite things like "so-and-so said, as reported by the Associated Press," etc, he's right, but that's why people typically paraphrase information from secondary sources, so that they don't have to cite them!

As Maddow said, best thing to do is probably just to acknowledge the mistakes, "blame an intern, dude" and move on. Then again, maybe Rand figures all press is good press and he might as well get some more TV exposure out of it.

Nevertheless, Rachel Maddow is trash.

jtap
11-04-2013, 10:31 AM

Nevertheless, Rachel Maddow is trash.

/thread

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
11-04-2013, 05:28 PM
CNN's been going after Rand all day with this now.

Occam's Banana
11-04-2013, 05:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynKoZD-sFi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynKoZD-sFi4

juleswin
11-04-2013, 05:51 PM
CNN's been going after Rand all day with this now.

He should have know this would happen. They will never ever ever give him the benefit of the doubt. He should work on the basis that everything he says from now on will be taken literally and saying he want to duel a woman, lesbian will stir up the liberal masses.

I wonder if its too late for him to do some sort of apology and move on from this.

devil21
11-04-2013, 06:42 PM
He should have know this would happen. They will never ever ever give him the benefit of the doubt. He should work on the basis that everything he says from now on will be taken literally and saying he want to duel a woman, lesbian will stir up the liberal masses.

I wonder if its too late for him to do some sort of apology and move on from this.

DNC probably has a team devoted solely to parsing everything Rand says and does. Heck, probably the RNC too.

(fwiw, if Rand really did borrow my "duel" thought....and the timing seems very possible....I regret saying it as it was an obvious joke)

Lucille
11-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Welch gives him some good advice, I think.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/11/05/rand-pauls-plagiarism-and-the-weird-mans#comment

So what does that mean in this instance? If he wants to run for president, he needs to be better, not worse, and not merely as good, as the competition when it comes to the most seemingly trivial matters of comportment. Journalists, particularly (though not only) from those outlets sensitive to the allure that libertarian ideas have on some progressive voters, will be gunning for every possible gaffe, glitch, error of judgment, and stated deviance. He should consider it an honor to be challenged, instead of a challenge to get huffy about.

People who choose the Inside Game know, or at least should know, that the deck is stacked against them, and that they will be judged more harshly. Those were always the rules. On the upside, being the first real truth-teller inside an empire of lies carries with it enormous galvanizing potential. Whining about being picked on in this context is like complaining about getting fouled when you drive to the hoop against Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn. The answer is to dunk the damned basketball, not bitch to the refs. And for god's sake, make sure your shoes are tied.

It's actually helpful for Rand Paul's presidential ambitions to be having these mini-kerfuffles in November 2013. It's doubtful that they will have any impact on the 2016 race, and he could clearly use the practice.

Still love Fluffy calling him a concern troll for keeping this story alive though!

KingNothing
11-05-2013, 01:33 PM
I unabashedly love Rand Paul but he messed up here, by not being absolutely perfect, and then not having an absolutely perfect response to mostly-legit, albeit pointless, criticism.

Neil Desmond
11-05-2013, 01:52 PM
I can only reason that Rand is happy to have these attacks coming at him.
Great point. As the saying goes, "any press is good press" [source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publicity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publicity), 5 Nov. 2013].

RM918
11-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Maddow is trolling Rand and she's doing it successfully. Her criticisms have all the importance of someone wandering in to a Michael Jackson fan forum and calling him a pedophile and they're designed to do exactly the same thing - get attention. He just should've ignored her to begin with and given any question regarding them a stock, polite and short reply before moving on.

dannno
11-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Maddow is trolling Rand and she's doing it successfully. Her criticisms have all the importance of someone wandering in to a Michael Jackson fan forum and calling him a pedophile and they're designed to do exactly the same thing - get attention. He just should've ignored her to begin with and given any question regarding them a stock, polite and short reply before moving on.

I think they are trolling each other, I honestly don't know if this is hurting Rand or helping him.

WD-NY
11-05-2013, 03:45 PM
It's actually helpful for Rand Paul's presidential ambitions to be having these mini-kerfuffles in November 2013. It's doubtful that they will have any impact on the 2016 race, and he could clearly use the practice.

This x100.

I know it's easier said than done to remain cool/calm/unfazed when media hacks go after Rand in an attempt to bring him down, but it is genuinely beneficial to him (and his media team) to get some 'damage control' practice in between now and 2016.

Heck, I also think it's good for all of us Rand supporters as it gives us an opportunity to practice "counter-attack blog-commenting" (#RulesForRadicals) on articles like this one in the NYTimes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/us/politics/after-plagiarism-charges-paul-announces-office-restructuring.html

Remember, it only takes 1 or 2 of us to shift the discussion into a debate over issues that are far more favorable to Rand (e.g. Rand vs Obama's position on mandatory minimums/drug war, Rand vs Obama on drones, Rand vs Obama on SOPA/PIPA/etc, Rand vs Obama on Syria, etc. etc.).

In other words, don't spend 1 second explaining or defending Rand against their bullshit charges. Instead, go on the offense by hitting them on all the things Rand supports that they as liberals/progressives claim to but that Obama does not. (e.g. LYING TO MILLIONS ABOUT OBAMACARE vs a speechwriter copying few sentences about a movie plot/data-point/etc...).

Like this (via http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/05/rand-paul-footnotes_n_4219957.html):
http://i.imgur.com/LvCxmYL.jpg
or this:
http://i.imgur.com/8EKk2fn.jpg

The objective of 'counter-attack commenting' isn't to win the argument ... but rather to goad the most active/partisan obamabots into defending Obama (and/or DEM policy) against the attacks you are making.

devil21
11-05-2013, 04:06 PM
^^^^^^^
Good post +rep

Ive been using the Gattaca thing in comments to keep it on topic re: eugenics, since they would rather talk about the plagiarism non-issue than the actual eugenics part. A little dash of Margaret Sanger/Planned Parenthood history and we're right back on topic.

WD-NY
11-05-2013, 04:33 PM
^^^^^^^
Good post +rep

Ive been using the Gattaca thing in comments to keep it on topic re: eugenics, since they would rather talk about the plagiarism non-issue than the actual eugenics part. A little dash of Margaret Sanger/Planned Parenthood history and we're right back on topic.

Thanks mate - 'counter-attack commenting' ftw :cool:

My hope is that between now and 2015, RPF and/or CFL finally understand the importance of *owning* the comment-threads and invest substantially into the "training" and "promoting/encouraging" of grassroots comment brigades. There's literally no other (or better) way to beat back attacks by the liberal media (which is going to do everything it can to stop Rand from winning the GOP nomination).

As I wrote awhile back, during the last bru-hah-hah over Rand, when commenting on articles like this, DO NOT address the smears made against Rand. Doing so is not only a waste of time, but also enables the obamabots to stay on target. Instead, HIT BACK by challenging them to explain their support of Obama and the DEM's pro war, pro-drone assassination, pro-wall street,big Pharma & crony-capitalism,, pro-fed drug laws, pro-NSA/FISA/SOPA/PIPA, etc. policy.

11-05-2013, 04:44 PM
I don't even consider any of this plagiarism. Every single politician does this and nobody has cared until now. So the real question is why Rand and why now? Then I saw the other thread about Rand still polling #1 for the nomination. The left is absolutely terrified of Rand being the nominee. All their usual attacks wouldn't work against him so they are trying this trivial non-issue. IIRC Biden was caught up in the same sort of thing, but worse and he still was elected VP.

WD-NY
11-05-2013, 05:09 PM
I don't even consider any of this plagiarism. Every single politician does this and nobody has cared until now. So the real question is why Rand and why now? Then I saw the other thread about Rand still polling #1 for the nomination. The left is absolutely terrified of Rand being the nominee. All their usual attacks wouldn't work against him so they are trying this trivial non-issue. IIRC Biden was caught up in the same sort of thing, but worse and he still was elected VP.

Same here... but that is the point. The Lefty-hacks want to tie Rand (and his supporters) up in knots trying to explain how ridiculous it is to charge a senator with "plagerism" for not *re-wording* and/or *citing* factual statements/sentences like "America now jails a higher percentage of its citizens than any other country, including China and Iran, at the staggering cost of $80 billion a year".

This is #RulesForRadicals-Alinski101 type stuff. It's petty, dishonest and distracting, yet effectively disarming if given any room to run.

This post at NYTimes articles sums it up... but again, if we're explaining how what Rand did isn't "plagiarism", we're *losing* the "debate".

This is the most ridiculous manufactured controversy I've heard all year.

Does this mean that anytime somebody says that you should judge a man not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character, that they have to add "oh yeah, and Martin Luther King Jr. said that, not me"??

Or that if someone says "Bush lied about WMD" or "the greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression", they've got to go find the person who said it first and make sure that they get credit for it.

If someone reads that "America now jails a higher percentage of its citizens than any other country, including China and Iran, at the staggering cost of $80 billion a year", and the thing that bothers them is that the phrase wasn't properly accredited to Dan Stewart, is really ignorant.

CMoore
11-05-2013, 06:46 PM
99% of all the constipated people in the world don't give a sh*t. (But I don't remember who said this.):)

libertarian101
11-05-2013, 07:06 PM

He has no chance, he's weak as a kitten :p

Occam's Banana
11-06-2013, 10:18 PM
99% of all the constipated people in the world don't give a sh*t. (But I don't remember who said this.):)

Abraham Lincoln said it. (I read it on the Internet.)

serenityrick
11-07-2013, 10:44 AM
If only the media went after this administration's countless scandals with as much gusto as they are over this. Sheesh.

RabbitMan
11-07-2013, 01:18 PM

Having books put on under your name with whole portions of it 'borrowed' from essays, articles, and papers from other organizations is pretty bad.