PDA

View Full Version : Federal judge that ruled NYC Stop and Frisk unconstitutional removed from case on appeal

devil21
11-02-2013, 01:19 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/stop-frisk-bloomberg-hails-ruling-victory-likely-short-223707366.html

snippet
Along with Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, Bloomberg has been particularly angry and aggressive in denouncing Scheindlin all year, saying she ignored the real-world realities of crime and was biased against the police.

“Judge Scheindlin was way off base in her decision,” Sgt. Ed Mullins, president of the Sergeant’s Benevolent Association. “I believe she has an anti-animus toward cops. It comes out pretty obviously.”

The SBA, too, has recently joined the Bloomberg administration in a lawsuit challenging parts of the New York City Council’s Community Safety Act, a bill in which city lawmakers overrode Bloomberg’s veto, establishing an inspector general for the NYPD and allowing citizens to bring discrimination lawsuits against the department.

Critics of stop-and-frisk were stunned by the “unprecedented” removal of Scheindlin, who the appeals court said “ran afoul” of judicial codes of conduct.

“I mean, for the court to issue a stay of the remedy, that’s one thing,” says Randolph McLaughlin, co-chair of the civil rights practice group at Newman Ferrara LLP in New York. “But for the court to, without being asked, to remove a sitting federal judge from a landmark case like this, which she has spent so many years shepherding, I think it, well, certainly it’s unprecedented, and I think what’s most troubling here is that no one asked for that relief.”

Bloomberg has had it out for this judge for a while. She offended Hizzoner and that will not stand. Is she related to Judge Judy? I bet she is!

Working Poor
11-02-2013, 05:15 AM
I am surprised that it took so long to see something about this here is RP forums slipping?

Natural Citizen
11-02-2013, 05:24 AM
I am surprised that it took so long to see something about this here is RP forums slipping?

Yeah, me too.