PDA

View Full Version : Police 'GPS cannons' can shoot trackers at fleeing cars, but are they legal?

aGameOfThrones
11-01-2013, 04:01 PM
On October 4th in Washington DC, a woman tried to ram a White House security barrier with her car and then fled, initiating a high-speed pursuit that ended with police opening fire and killing the suspect near the US Capitol. The hill went on lockdown and, as one can expect from such circumstances, "mass panic" ensued.

Via ABC Action News in Tampa, Autoblog reported this morning about police technology that might’ve diminished the chaos in DC earlier this month — and could potentially cut down on similar chaotic incidences that revolve around high-speed police chases.

The technology is called StarChase. The company works with police departments to install GPS cannons into police cruiser grilles. When officers begin pursuits that they believe might go haywire, they push a button that shoots a GPS beacon toward the fleeing vehicle. At that point, according to StarChase’s logic, the officer can hang back. The GPS tracker transmits its location via a secure web connection. The officer and dispatchers can then simply watch on a computer screen where the vehicle is headed instead of commencing a potentially deadly chase. "Life-threatening decisions shouldn’t have to be made during a high-speed pursuit," insists a promotional video from StarChase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81k7zGFlbzM

StarChase is a little expensive at this point; each GPS projectile costs $250. Still, it’s an interesting idea. And, as the promotional video suggests, GPS tracking might be the most logical option police have. Chases are dangerous and, for this reason, many police departments forbid their officers from entering into high-speed pursuits. Even if police departments don’t forbid chases, people often goad police into high-speed pursuits for frivolous reasons. StarChase seemingly offers an alternative to situations where lives and property are put in danger over relatively minor offenses like suspended licenses and small-quantity drug possession.

One glaring problem is that US citizens do have a reasonable expectation of privacy. And, as US v. Jones showed last year, a warrant is required before a GPS tracking device can be placed on a vehicle.

Mandy McCall, a media representative from StarChase, says that’s a moot point.

"I’m appreciative of the warrant question," she says. "But we have not been in a situation where a warrant has been required before StarChase can be deployed." The reason for this, she says, is probable cause.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/31/5051352/gps-cannons-could-take-the-danger-out-of-police-car-chases-but-are

JK/SEA
11-01-2013, 04:38 PM
what took so long?

Dr.3D
11-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Is it magnetic, sticky, suction cups or what? I mean, will it stick to a plastic car? What about it sticking to the back of a motorcycle rider?

TheGrinch
11-01-2013, 04:49 PM
If the justice system worked better than it does, then I wouldn't have a big problem with this. People who flee from getting pulled over are just as much of a danger as the cops who chase them. Probable cause should apply when you're unwilling to stop.

Of course this would predicate on requiring police to have better reasons to pull people over in the first place, and of course due process to always work, both of which I'm exceedingly doubtful of at this juncture... But nonetheless, theoretically you should not have an expectation of privacy if you're running from a traffic stop. I think you'd see the same in a privatized road system.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-01-2013, 05:48 PM
I'd much rather they do this than have a dangerous high-speed chase on the interstate at rush hour.

Danke
11-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Probable cause should apply when you're unwilling to stop.

WTF? Hey, he won't let us in his house without a warrant, get the battering ram, we now have probable cause!

phill4paul
11-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Lesson. Drive only stolen cars and ditch them after being tagged.