PDA

View Full Version : Columbia, SC Police Chief: Drug War WrongThink Creates Reasonable Suspicion To "Find You"

jct74
11-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Columbia, SC Police Chief: Drug War WrongThink Creates Reasonable Suspicion To "Find You"

By Ken White
Nov 1, 2013

Yesterday a police chief in South Carolina thoughtfully reminded us of what police think of us and our "rights" and our "viewpoints."

It began with Columbia, South Carolina Police Department's Interim Chief Ruben Santiago boasting of a marijuana arrest on Facebook: (Yesterday a police chief in South Carolina thoughtfully reminded us of what police think of us and our "rights" and our "viewpoints."

It began with Columbia, South Carolina Police Department's Interim Chief Ruben Santiago [URL="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=580420698662172&set=a.182579751779604.32971.182562865114626&type=1)

CPD SEIZES APPROXIMATELY $40K WORTH OF MARIJAUNA FROM HOME

Interim Police Chief Ruben Santiago announces the arrest of a man accused of having approximately $40K of marijuana inside a Columbia apartment.

Demon weed, off the street!1 The War on Drugs triumphant!

Not everybody on Facebook was a fan. Chief Santiago pushed right back against criticism:

http://www.popehat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/DissentisSuspicious.png

That post was swiftly deleted, but not before numerous people in the thread screencapped it and posted it in the thread. 2

Now, you're probably thinking this is some web-lackey shooting his mouth off, not the position of the Columbia, South Carolina Police Department, or the position of Interim Chief Ruben Santiago. Well, if that's the case, the web lackey was willing to double down upon being criticized:

http://www.popehat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/RubenSantiagoDoublesDown.jpg

I have written the Columbia Police Department's Public Information Officer for comment about whether that was, in fact, Interim Chief Santiago, and whether his views represent the views of the department.

So: if that is Chief Santiago, the police chief of a city of about 125,000 people, thinks that his department should "find you" and investigate you if you support the legalization of marijuana or oppose the ruinous, amoral War on Drugs. Notice the collection of cop tropes in the second response: (1) the thug's dance of first threatening to "find you" and then halfway backing off from it, (2) the "why worry if you have nothing to hide" routine, (3) the suggestion that advocating against the War on Drugs creates reasonable suspicion to investigate you — bearing in mind that "reasonable suspicion" is a legal term referring to the quantum of proof that supports cops, for instance, stopping and frisking you, and (4) the statement that the cops are always open to hearing from citizens after threatening to come find a citizen for criticizing them.

read more:
http://www.popehat.com/2013/11/01/columbia-sc-police-chief-drugwar-wrongthink-creates-reasonable-suspicion-to-find-you/

phill4paul
11-01-2013, 10:08 AM
War on US. We are ALL criminals.

Red Green
11-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Honestly, I love this. It's a good thing that the pigs are as dumb as the shit they wallow in, because this is becoming like shooting fish in a barrel. We don't even have to go out an record them and post it up on YouTube anymore, they're going to out themselves on the internet voluntarily! Awesome. Please, can we have a Facebook for pigs? Maybe call it "Porkbook" or "Porkface" or something like that? These guys need unfettered access to the internet to voice their opinions and crow about their LEO exploits.

pcosmar
11-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Honestly, I love this. It's a good thing that the pigs are as dumb as the shit they wallow in, because this is becoming like shooting fish in a barrel. We don't even have to go out an record them and post it up on YouTube anymore, they're going to out themselves on the internet voluntarily! Awesome. Please, can we have a Facebook for pigs? Maybe call it "Porkbook" or "Porkface" or something like that? These guys need unfettered access to the internet to voice their opinions and crow about their LEO exploits.

Perhaps it is a good opportunity to Bait them.. Get them to put stupid shit in print on Facebook that can be used by Defense Attorneys at a later date.
Maybe get them to brag about murders?
About Stolen Property.

Steer the discussion,, and bait the trail. They do seem stupid enough to put their foot in it. ;)

JK/SEA
11-01-2013, 10:29 AM
well, in a war of wits, this 'police chief' should at least come armed...

luctor-et-emergo
11-01-2013, 10:36 AM
"Our citizens"

Like he owns the people. Another cop that forgot he's a servant.
Although I do have to say that a less strict look at his post may show a slight sense of humor.
At least I could laugh about it.

thoughtomator
11-01-2013, 10:42 AM
This is of course a blatant First Amendment violation. A double violation at that, as it infringes on both the right to free speech AND the right to petition for redress of grievances. If I'm "Brandon Whitmer" I consult an attorney.

jct74
11-01-2013, 11:25 AM
UPDATE WITH CONFIRMATION: I received the following statement from the Columbia, SC Police Department's Public Information Officer:

Chief Santiago did write those two posts. I believe the original comment was misconstrued. I appreciate you reaching out to CPD.

Chief was trying to say that he puts would-be-criminals on notice — if you commit a crime or plan to commit one, CPD will work hard to investigate and press charges according to the law.

It’s easy for social media posts to be misunderstood. The man who was so-called threatened openly admitted that he was not offended and appreciated the work of CPD.

Maybe now that the man said that they won't try to go "find" him.

http://www.popehat.com/2013/11/01/columbia-sc-police-chief-drugwar-wrongthink-creates-reasonable-suspicion-to-find-you/

what a crock of shit