PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Rand Paul on ABC's This Week w/ George Stephanopoulos 11/3/13

jct74
11-01-2013, 09:15 AM
As the flawed rollout of the Affordable Care Act plagues the Obama administration, and amid continued fallout over the latest revelations of NSA spying, George Stephanopoulos goes one-on-one with White House senior adviser Dan Pfeiffer and Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., only on “This Week” Sunday.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/11/coming-up-on-this-week-dan-pfeiffer-sen-rand-paul-and-nate-silver/

update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW0c6yODkZ0

pulp8721
11-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Please, Rand, please, please be prepared and have an answer to the plagiarism charges. Your and your staff MUST KNOW Stefanopoulos will ask you about it.

philipped
11-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Yo I understand the whole thing, but they really still need to talk about this.

anaconda
11-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Can one plagiarize Webster's dictionary, too?

libertarian101
11-01-2013, 11:51 PM
As true as it was, i had said it was stupid move by Rand to call George Stephanopoulos (planned parenthood spokesman) democratic operative and blaming him for Romney loss. Rand better be prepared because these will be his hardest interview.

Varin
11-02-2013, 04:27 AM
Can one plagiarize Webster's dictionary, too?

This, can you plagiarize an encyclopedia?

jct74
11-03-2013, 03:43 AM
bump

jct74
11-03-2013, 07:46 AM
//

matt0611
11-03-2013, 09:24 AM
caught the end where Rand was addressing the so called "plagarism" charge. He smacked it out of the park IMO.

philipped
11-03-2013, 10:12 AM
I just watched the whole thing. Rand as usual came off mature. He also addressed the Ted Cruz comments, and if I'm not mistaken said it's better for him. GO RAND!!!

AlexAmore
11-03-2013, 10:32 AM
You certainly can't say Rand is "running away" from the accusations with that answer. Hope he shut the mancow up.

CaseyJones
11-03-2013, 10:36 AM
here is the plagiarism bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlC9VY9om20

WD-NY
11-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Stephanopolas: "Ok, that's an extensive answer"

translation: dangit, there goes that line of attack

jct74
11-03-2013, 11:17 AM
video:

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/rand-paul-week-interview-nsa-spying-obamacare-plagiarism-20769926

eduardo89
11-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Tube will be up soon.

It's uploading right now, says it should be done in around 15 minutes. If the problem happens that I've been getting this week that the video won't process it might take longer. I won't be home all afternoon to manually fix the problem (delete and re-upload) so I apologise if that happens!!

Kords21
11-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Rand curb stomped that stupid plagiarism question. I'm sure all the "hacks and haters" will be holding Obama and every other politician to the same standards.

Feeding the Abscess
11-03-2013, 12:15 PM
HuffPo gave him a terrible write up. They broke up the answer with punctuation and added 'you know' where it wasn't said. Plus the first 3/4 of his answer wasn't even mentioned.

Lucille
11-03-2013, 12:25 PM
here is the plagiarism bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlC9VY9om20

It's not just speeches.

Report: Three Pages of Rand Paul's Book Were Plagiarized
http://reason.com/24-7/2013/11/02/report-three-pages-of-rand-pauls-book-we

An entire section of Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul’s 2013 book Government Bullies was copied wholesale from a 2003 case study by the Heritage Foundation, BuzzFeed has learned. The copied section, 1,318 words, is by far the most significant instance reported so far of Paul borrowing language from other published material.

The new cut-and-paste job follows reports by BuzzFeed, Politico, and MSNBC that Paul had plagiarized speeches either from Wikipedia or news reports. The book was published in August 2013 by Center Street, a division of Hachette Book Group.

I hope it was Hunter and not Rand.

jct74
11-03-2013, 12:27 PM
lol, good grief...

http://i.imgur.com/L2o36Ht.png

Rand Paul Responds To Plagiarism Accusations: 'If Dueling Were Legal In Kentucky..'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/03/rand-paul-plagiarism_n_4208469.html

Feeding the Abscess
11-03-2013, 12:30 PM
It's not just speeches.

Report: Three Pages of Rand Paul's Book Were Plagiarized
http://reason.com/24-7/2013/11/02/report-three-pages-of-rand-pauls-book-we

I hope it was Hunter and not Rand.

Was it credited? If not, that's legitimately bad.

whippoorwill
11-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Holy effin' sheet. He bitch slaped her!

whippoorwill
11-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Was it credited? If not, that's legitimately bad.

"In this case, Paul included a link to the Heritage case study in the book’s footnotes"

“In the book Government Bullies all the information… was sourced by end notes. In the two cases described, the end notes clearly define the sourcing for the book. In no case has the Senator used information without attribution,” said Doug Stafford, an advisor to Sen. Paul who co-wrote the book. “There were 150 endnotes and cites including The Heritage Foundation and Cato Institute. This is a witch hunt and grasping at straws.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/entire-section-of-rand-pauls-book-copied-verbatim-from-case

WD-NY
11-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Author of article's twitter = http://twitter.com/mollieclare

Everyone here who is active on twitter, ask her why a video clip of Rand's full answer wasn't included in her post. When you can provide the full response easily, why would she leave that out??

Obviously she has an agenda, but let's make explain why she isn't "living up to their own book of rules" (re: honest, transparent, unbiased, non-partisan or agenda-driven reporting aka 'straight-news'). #Alinski101 #RulesForRadicals

Update, here's a search of everyone tweeting to @mollieclare:
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40mollieclare&src=typd&f=realtime

RonZeplin
11-03-2013, 12:57 PM
If Dueling Were Legal In Kentucky..'

If he can find a way to legally bust a cap on Maddow, he'll be the next president.

ctiger2
11-03-2013, 12:58 PM
The statists are just pissed that Rand is so well read and has the ability to spout off all these quotes/ideas so eloquently and merge them in with today's politics. It gives credence to his message and they don't like that so they must do what they must in order to try and undermine him. Pretty ez to see that. Even I'm amazed when I listen to him talk and quote a bunch of different sources. Like, man that dudes well read. I have no comment on that book, only referring to the speeches/interviews he's given.

specsaregood
11-03-2013, 01:06 PM
"In this case, Paul included a link to the Heritage case study in the book’s footnotes"

“In the book Government Bullies all the information… was sourced by end notes. In the two cases described, the end notes clearly define the sourcing for the book. In no case has the Senator used information without attribution,” said Doug Stafford, an advisor to Sen. Paul who co-wrote the book. “There were 150 endnotes and cites including The Heritage Foundation and Cato Institute. This is a witch hunt and grasping at straws.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/entire-section-of-rand-pauls-book-copied-verbatim-from-case

LOL @

Asked about the copied text Mike Gonzalez, vice president of communications for the Heritage Foundation said “we like when people cite our work. We wish more progressives would cite our work, maybe then they wouldn’t be so progressively wrong.”

ClydeCoulter
11-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Don't you just hate it when gnats swarm, all the time spent gnat swatting. :rolleyes:

alucard13mm
11-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Could this be Rand's "Ron's newsletter"? lol. A few years from now.. "Hey, Senator Rand. A few years ago you were caught plagarizing in one of your speeches..."

Feeding the Abscess
11-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Could this be Rand's "Ron's newsletter"? lol. A few years from now.. "Hey, Senator Rand. A few years ago you were caught plagarizing in one of your speeches..."

If he cuts out the dueling nonsense, he already has a pretty solid answer for it.

Lucille
11-03-2013, 01:51 PM
The duel comment is all over the news. Can't anybody take a joke anymore?

Feeding the Abscess
11-03-2013, 01:59 PM
The duel comment is all over the news. Can't anybody take a joke anymore?

It was kind of needless. He didn't say it very smoothly, and I'm not so sure shooting someone should be joke material. Had he left it with his initial response, there really couldn't have been much of a reaction.

specsaregood
11-03-2013, 02:20 PM
It was kind of needless. He didn't say it very smoothly, and I'm not so sure shooting someone should be joke material. Had he left it with his initial response, there really couldn't have been much of a reaction.

Maybe Rand wanted the reaction? He sure is good at getting into the news.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
11-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Trolling some of these more vicious leftists like Maddow helps Rand with the GOP primary voters. It helps blunt charges that he's "too liberal."

Brian4Liberty
11-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Please, Rand, please, please be prepared and have an answer to the plagiarism charges. Your and your staff MUST KNOW Stefanopoulos will ask you about it.

Got that right.

Sometimes these MSM interviews don't seem worth it. Stephanopoulos is polite, but it was still all accusations and attacks.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
11-03-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm not so sure shooting someone should be joke material.

Rand never said anything about what kind of weapons would be used in the duel. It could be swords.

Leftist hate-propaganda websote RawStory is pushing the "gun" meme hard on this. They know "gun" is a trigger-word for their mesmerized Communist readership.

alucard13mm
11-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Comments on some media sites are largely negative... =(

RP Supporter
11-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Have to agree it was a bad idea to say duel. Recall how the media mocked Zell Miller back in 2004 for saying he wished he could challenge Chris Matthews to a duel. I imagine they'll use this to try to demonise Rand in the same way, make him out to be a joke at best and an unhinged manic at worst. I fully expect a smirking Maddow to cover this as the top story on her show on Monday.

And yes, it's completely unfair. But the media in this country will seize any opportunity to make Rand out to be a nut.

Lucille
11-03-2013, 04:36 PM
How is Rand's duel crack more important than Obama's "I'm really good at killing people" remark? Rand was joking. Obama wasn't.

anaconda
11-03-2013, 05:24 PM
I thought this was going to stick to Rand. Now I don't. His response was quite good today.

CMoore
11-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Could be balloons and blunderbusses.

whoisjohngalt
11-03-2013, 10:19 PM
I think you guys are nitpicking. He nailed this interview.

eduardo89
11-03-2013, 10:30 PM
I think you guys are nitpicking. He nailed this interview.

I agree, it was really good.

satchelmcqueen
11-04-2013, 09:12 AM
"hacks and haters" (as said by rand paul in this interview from abc george stephonopilisss(sp??) show.:nov 3 2013) are gonna hate! (as said by satchel mcqueen on nov 4 2013 on rpfs whist watching dumbo with his baby daughter from the disney corp on netflix)

someone please meme the shit out of my quote please with rand in the background. send it to madow.

MaxPower
11-04-2013, 01:43 PM
I think the "dueling" line was a misstep; Rand's substantive rebuttal to the asinine "plagiarism" hysteria they've been throwing around was very good (informal speeches are not like academic papers, and very frequently involve heavy use of secondary sources without direct attribution and without complaint from news "pundits"), but the media has chosen to ignore it in favor of quoting "If dueling were legal..." and portraying Rand as a wild-eyed maniac out to shoot someone for exposing his iniquities.

twomp
11-04-2013, 04:04 PM
I'd like to thank Ted Cruz for talking about Rand Paul behind his back and providing us with a little more evidence of the real snake that he is. Kudos Mr. Cruz, takes a real man to talk about someone behind his back like that.

specsaregood
11-04-2013, 04:08 PM
I'd like to thank Ted Cruz for talking about Rand Paul behind his back and providing us with a little more evidence of the real snake that he is. Kudos Mr. Cruz, takes a real man to talk about someone behind his back like that.

And the media would like to thank you for believing their anonymous unsourced claims and accusations; despite all the evidence that they can't be trusted.

twomp
11-04-2013, 04:22 PM
And the media would like to thank you for believing their anonymous unsourced claims and accusations; despite all the evidence that they can't be trusted.

Rand Paul seemed to believe. Has Ted Cruz come out and said he didn't say it? His silence on all this is deafening.

Occam's Banana
11-04-2013, 04:56 PM
How is Rand's duel crack more important than Obama's "I'm really good at killing people" remark? Rand was joking. Obama wasn't.

Because Obama is a high priest to idolators of the State. Rand, on the other hand, is a heretic and blasphemer ...

Thus, Obama's pronouncements are to be considered ex cathedra as a matter of course - while anything Rand says (jokingly or otherwise) is anathema.

specsaregood
11-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Rand Paul seemed to believe. Has Ted Cruz come out and said he didn't say it? His silence on all this is deafening.

I wouldn't say he "seemed to believe". I would say he took the high road and didn't confirm or deny and pointed out that he would never go on a national interview and attack, smear or backbite against somebody he considers an ally.

twomp
11-04-2013, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't say he "seemed to believe". I would say he took the high road and didn't confirm or deny and pointed out that he would never go on a national interview and attack, smear or backbite against somebody he considers an ally.

I would agree that he took the high road but he isn't like you where he straight up denies that it happened. That's the difference.

specsaregood
11-04-2013, 07:15 PM
I would agree that he took the high road but he isn't like you where he straight up denies that it happened. That's the difference.

I did no such thing. I simply pointed out that the story referenced is nothing but unsourced anonymous nonquotes and that the publication in question has a reputation as less than trustworthy in such matters. And I didn't even mention the fact that the media outlet in question would love nothing more than to sow discord among small government conservatives.

jtstellar
11-04-2013, 08:35 PM
i love how people are willingly led wherever democrats wish to direct their attention to.

"obamacare? oh. ah look, pretty flowers there" and libertarians go on to talk about pretty flowers and evaluate it from a thousand angles, debating amongst themselves whether that random outburst by a random passerby democrat had any merit

why don't you just go fuck yourself?

devil21
11-04-2013, 08:40 PM
i love how people are willingly led wherever democrats wish to direct their attention to.

"obamacare? oh. ah look, pretty flowers there" and libertarians go on to talk about pretty flowers and evaluate it from a thousand angles, debating amongst themselves whether that random outburst by a random passerby democrat had any merit

why don't you just go fuck yourselves?

Thing is, we are always on the defensive since we have no media mouthpieces taking the offensive on our behalf. Ben Swann is about as close as it gets and he will NEVER be allowed to become a MSM figure.

RM918
11-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Uuuuugh why is Rand continuing to engage with this woman? He shouldn't have even given her one response.

dinosaur
11-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Uuuuugh why is Rand continuing to engage with this woman? He shouldn't have even given her one response.

Hannity asked Rand about it tonight. He is going to get questions during his press appearances I guess.

eduardo89
11-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Hannity asked Rand about it tonight. He is going to get questions during his press appearances I guess.

He handled it well on Hannity tonight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTc7pI-vBTI

twomp
11-05-2013, 12:46 AM
I did no such thing. I simply pointed out that the story referenced is nothing but unsourced anonymous nonquotes and that the publication in question has a reputation as less than trustworthy in such matters. And I didn't even mention the fact that the media outlet in question would love nothing more than to sow discord among small government conservatives.

You keep on bringing up these "unsourced anonymous nonquotes" as your reasoning when you still haven't failed to address the question. IF your boy Ted Cruz didn't say this, why hasn't he come out and said that the media is lying? I mean, either he said it or he didn't right? Just because it comes from the dirty "liberals" doesn't mean it's not true.

Ted Cruz could easily end this with just a simple statement saying he never said those things and the media is lying. And it would be done. Who is looking at the pretty flowers now?

specsaregood
11-05-2013, 07:03 AM
You keep on bringing up these "unsourced anonymous nonquotes" as your reasoning when you still haven't failed to address the question.
My reasoning? I formed and claimed no conclusion. I simply pointed out facts calling into question the story you keep repeating as if it was the truth.

IF your boy Ted Cruz didn't say this, why hasn't he come out and said that the media is lying? I mean, either he said it or he didn't right? Just because it comes from the dirty "liberals" doesn't mean it's not true.
It funny you should mention "liberals" in quotes as I never said the word liberal in the relevant posts; but you sure do act like one. Are you personally butthurt that I think the media is untrustworthy?

"your boy Ted Cruz"? I would hardly say he was "my boy". I don't believe I donated to his campaign, he isn't my senator. I think I said I like him, but that's the extent. I'll go further now and call him an ally for liberty. both Rand and Ron seem to agree.

Ted Cruz could easily end this with just a simple statement saying he never said those things and the media is lying. And it would be done. Who is looking at the pretty flowers now?

Has he been asked about it in any interviews? If so, please feel free to point it out. Otherwise, your suggestion is that Cruz put out a press release denying any unsourced anonymous claims; anytime they are made against him? Are you serious? Hell, he'll probably need to hire a staffer just to handle that workload.

Besides all that, the question when asked of Rand, set Rand up for an awesome answer. It gave him another chance to look like the adult in the room and at the same time gave him a chance to spike the ball infront of a blowhard like Stephanopoulos.

twomp
11-05-2013, 01:01 PM
My reasoning? I formed and claimed no conclusion. I simply pointed out facts calling into question the story you keep repeating as if it was the truth.

It funny you should mention "liberals" in quotes as I never said the word liberal in the relevant posts; but you sure do act like one. Are you personally butthurt that I think the media is untrustworthy?

"your boy Ted Cruz"? I would hardly say he was "my boy". I don't believe I donated to his campaign, he isn't my senator. I think I said I like him, but that's the extent. I'll go further now and call him an ally for liberty. both Rand and Ron seem to agree.

Has he been asked about it in any interviews? If so, please feel free to point it out. Otherwise, your suggestion is that Cruz put out a press release denying any unsourced anonymous claims; anytime they are made against him? Are you serious? Hell, he'll probably need to hire a staffer just to handle that workload.

Besides all that, the question when asked of Rand, set Rand up for an awesome answer. It gave him another chance to look like the adult in the room and at the same time gave him a chance to spike the ball infront of a blowhard like Stephanopoulos.

There has now been an article and a public interview stating that Ted Cruz said that. Something he hasn't denied. Maybe one day he will put out a statement saying that he didn't say it but until then, your only evidence is that the media is "untrustworthy". Are u saying ur liberty "ally" has no clue this is going on? I would beg to differ because most polticians are very aware of things being said about them. As for ur statment about me acting like a liberal. Oh well? Call me all the names you like. It still doesn't change my opinion. In fact, the only thing that will is a statement by Ted Cruz that the media is being lying. Until then, what else am I to believe? Just because you said it's not true makes it not true?

GregSarnowski
11-05-2013, 01:24 PM
There has now been an article and a public interview stating that Ted Cruz said that. Something he hasn't denied. Maybe one day he will put out a statement saying that he didn't say it but until then, your only evidence is that the media is "untrustworthy". Are u saying ur liberty "ally" has no clue this is going on? I would beg to differ because most polticians are very aware of things being said about them. As for ur statment about me acting like a liberal. Oh well? Call me all the names you like. It still doesn't change my opinion. In fact, the only thing that will is a statement by Ted Cruz that the media is being lying. Until then, what else am I to believe? Just because you said it's not true makes it not true?

I don't doubt that Cruz did try and conflate Ron and Rand, but it's equally true that the media is trying to use it to sow discord. If Cruz runs and attempts to use this tactic in the primary, it can be addressed then. All Rand has to say is he is his own man, which is what he said when the media kept asking him about the differences when he first came on the scene.

Brian4Liberty
11-05-2013, 01:58 PM
The most relevant point from this interview is the fact that Sunday morning shows also interviewed Lindsey Graham, Kelly Ayotte and Diane Feinstein. None of those interviews included personal attacks, rumors, or petty, insignificant and ridiculous accusations.