PDA

View Full Version : Colorado voters deciding how to tax pot

CaseyJones
11-01-2013, 08:40 AM
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20131101/DA9PNDBO0.html

A pro-pot jingle in Colorado last year went like this: "Jobs for our people/Money for schools/Who could ask for more?" Nearly a year after Colorado legalized recreational weed, voters get the chance to decide exactly how much more - in taxes.

On Tuesday, voters decide whether to approve a 15 percent pot excise tax to pay for school construction, plus an extra sales tax of 10 percent to fund marijuana enforcement.

Some pot activists are campaigning against the taxes, arguing that marijuana should be taxed like beer, which has a tax rate of 8 cents a gallon. They've handed out free joints at tax protests.

"Our alcohol system is regulated just fine with the taxes they have, so we don't see any need for this huge grab for cash from marijuana," said Miguel Lopez, volunteer coordinator for the small opposition campaign to Colorado's pot tax measure.

While polls suggest the tax is going to pass - even in this state where voters frequently reject new taxes - it is very much an open question how much the state is going to reap.

A projection prepared for voters by state fiscal analysts predicted the taxes would bring in $70 million a year. But an early draft of Colorado's first budget after retail sales begin, the 2014-15 fiscal year, doesn't include an amount they expect in pot revenue.

WM_in_MO
11-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Doin' it WRONG

ronpaulfollower999
11-01-2013, 10:48 AM
This is why I hate when people say, "We should legalize, regulate, and tax marijuana." (Gary Johnson I'm looking at you).

lib3rtarian
11-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Why should it be taxed at all?

FSP-Rebel
11-01-2013, 11:00 AM
I hope someone in particular is actively fighting against this tax instead of coming on here and playing the broken record of "Rand Paul lost me as a delegate."