PDA

View Full Version : NYTimes Oped on: "Libertarian Paternalism"

VoluntaryAmerican
11-01-2013, 01:22 AM
Pretty sure this guy is the NYTimes "conservative" columnist. Worst article I've read in a long time.

This has been a great era for the study of error. We know that people can be induced to buy more cans of soup if you put a “Limit: 12 per customer” sign on the display. We know that if you ask people what movie they want to see next week, they’re likely to mention a classy art film. But, if you ask them what movie they want to see tonight, they’re more likely to mention a mindless blockbuster.

In addition, people are pretty bad at sacrificing short-term pleasure for long-term benefit. We’re bad at calculating risk. We’re mentally lazy. We make decision-making errors when thinking in our own language that we don’t make when thinking in another language. When asked to think in a second language, we’re forced to put in a little more mental effort.

As these cognitive biases have become better known, public spirited people naturally want to design ways to help us avoid them. In 2009, Richard H. Thaler and Cass R. Sunstein published a book, called “Nudge,” on how government and other organizations could induce people to avoid common errors. Last year, Sunstein gave the Storrs Lectures at Yale on the topic, which will soon be published as a book called “Nanny Statecraft.” Last month, the Obama administration announced that it is creating a new team to explore applications of this sort of empirical research to policy-making.

We’re entering the age of what’s been called “libertarian paternalism.” Government doesn’t tell you what to do, but it gently biases the context so that you find it easier to do things you think are in your own self-interest.

Government could design forms where the default option is to donate organs or save more for retirement. Individuals would have to actively opt out to avoid doing these things. Government could tell air-conditioner makers to build in a little red light to announce when the filter needs changing. That would make homes more energy efficient, since people are too lazy to change the filters promptly otherwise. Government could crack down on companies that exploit common cognitive errors to induce you to pay more for your mortgage, bank account, credit card or car warranty. Or, most notoriously, government could make it harder for you to buy big, sugary sodas.

But this raises a philosophic question. Do we want government stepping in to protect us from our own mistakes? Many people argue no. This kind of soft paternalism will inevitably slide into a hard paternalism, with government elites manipulating us into doing the sorts of things they want us to do. Policy makers have their own cognitive biases, which will induce them to design imperfect interventions even if they mean well.

Individuals may be imperfect decision-makers, but they still possess more information than faraway government rule-makers. If government starts manipulating decision-making processes, then individuals won’t learn to think for themselves. Even just setting a default position reduces liberty and personal responsibility.

The pro-paternalists counter that government is inevitably setting contexts and default positions anyway, so they might as well be aligned with individual and social goals. There’s very little historical evidence that there is an inevitable slippery slope leading from soft paternalism to hard paternalism. If companies are going to trick people into spending more on, say, bank overdraft fees, shouldn’t government step in to prevent a psychological market failure?

I’d say the anti-paternalists win the debate in theory but the libertarian paternalists win it empirically. In theory, it is possible that gentle nudges will turn into intrusive diktats and the nanny state will drain individual responsibility.

But, in practice, it is hard to feel that my decision-making powers have been weakened because when I got my driver’s license enrolling in organ donation was the default option. It’s hard to feel that a cafeteria is insulting my liberty if it puts the healthy fruit in a prominent place and the unhealthy junk food in some faraway corner. It’s hard to feel manipulated if I sign up for a program in which I can make commitments today that automatically increase my charitable giving next year. The concrete benefits of these programs, which are empirically verifiable, should trump abstract theoretical objections.

I’d call it social paternalism. Most of us behave somewhat decently because we are surrounded by social norms and judgments that make it simpler for us to be good. To some gentle extent, government policy should embody those norms, a preference for saving over consumption, a preference for fitness over obesity, a preference for seat belts and motorcycle helmets even though some people think it’s cooler not to wear them. In some cases, there could be opt-out provisions.

These days, we have more to fear from a tattered social fabric than from a suffocatingly tight one. Some modest paternalism might be just what we need.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/09/opinion/brooks-the-nudge-debate.html?ref=davidbrooks&_r=0

bolil
11-01-2013, 01:50 AM
Pretty sure this guy is the NYTimes "conservative" columnist. Worst article I've read in a long time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/09/opinion/brooks-the-nudge-debate.html?ref=davidbrooks&_r=0

Using "might" and "need" illustrates the true idiocy of the author. You cannot might need, you fucking dumbshit. Either you need, or you don't . Might doesn't even come into the equation. But, when the mind is lacking...errrr....adjectives! Yes!

Because.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-01-2013, 03:09 AM
Clicked on the link and of course...David Brooks. Lol. What the fuck is libertarian paternalism anyways? Oxymoron if I ever heard one.

jbauer
11-01-2013, 05:52 AM
And here I thought it was going to be on how I'm raising my kids wrong. As for the premise of the article this kind of thing is going on all around you right now. The author is just pointing it out.

Occam's Banana
11-01-2013, 07:48 AM
To hell with David Brooks - and his asinine attempt to hijack & pervert the word "libertarian" in his apologia for state-sponsored nannyism.

In addition, people are pretty bad at sacrificing short-term pleasure for long-term benefit. We’re bad at calculating risk. We’re mentally lazy. We make decision-making errors [...]

Of course, "'libertarian' paternalists" like Brooks & his cohorts are somehow magically immune from ALL these things - so we may rest assured that the "applications of this sort of empirical research to policy-making" will be completely value-free & neutral, and totally impervious to the normative biases of Brooks, Sunstein, et al. (Not that they have any normative biases. Oh, no, not at all! They only want what's "empirically" & "objectively" best for everyone ...)

:rolleyes:

Paternalism is paternalism. It is inherently normative. And what mealy-mouthed paternalists like David Brooks willfully ignore is the fact that their paternalistically normative judgements regarding what is "good" or "bad" for other people are no more epistemically valid than anyone else's - no matter how much "emprical research" is done. Such "research" will always find what Brooks & others like him want to find - that is, it will always find that more state-sponsored paternalistic "encouragement" is needed.

That is because any such "research" will have been conducted or interpreted in a context in which it has already been decided beforehand that the rest of us are just a bunch of "mentally lazy" incompetents who are highly prone to "decision-making errors". Therefore, we need clear-minded polcy makers & analysts such as David Brooks & Cass Sunstein to suss out what's "best" for everyone (and to explain why the rest of us are all just silly muzzy-heads who don't & can't know any better ...).

Brooks's invocation of "empirical research" is nothing but an attempt to bolster his arrogant pretense that his (and his cronies') subjective valuations are somehow "objectively better" than anyone else's.

cajuncocoa
11-01-2013, 07:56 AM
Libertarianism scares the piss out of the elite. That's why there are hundreds of attempts daily by them and their minions to hijack the meaning of the word.

FrankRep
11-01-2013, 08:06 AM

Ottawa Citizen commentator David Warren has identified Brooks as the sort of conservative pundit that liberals like, one who is "sophisticated" and "engages with" the liberal agenda, in contrast to a "real conservative" like Charles Krauthammer.[20] When asked what he thinks of charges that he's "not a real conservative" or "squishy," Brooks has said that "if you define conservative by support for the Republican candidate or the belief that tax cuts are the correct answer to all problems, I guess I don’t fit that agenda.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Brooks_(journalist)

Cleaner44
11-01-2013, 08:06 AM
The good news is that sources like this are widely viewed as biased and untrustworthy.

Americans' confidence in newspapers fell slightly to 23% this year, from 25% in 2012 and 28% in 2011. (http://www.gallup.com/poll/163097/americans-confidence-newspapers-continues-erode.aspx)

http://content.gallup.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/pzp1fdlpwemw1sepyolrdw.png

Athan
11-01-2013, 09:15 AM
See "david brooks".
DONE.

seapilot
11-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Libertarianism scares the piss out of the elite. That's why there are hundreds of attempts daily by them and their minions to hijack the meaning of the word.

The elite love liberty and freedom, just not for everyone else.

cajuncocoa
11-01-2013, 11:03 AM
The elite love liberty and freedom, just not for everyone else.

Yes, of course (that should be understood, but it's a good idea to spell it out for those who may not realize!) ;)