PDA

View Full Version : Exercise Your Constitutional Rights: Give a Cop the Finger Today!

donnay
10-31-2013, 10:29 PM
Exercise Your Constitutional Rights: Give a Cop the Finger Today!

Kimberly Paxton
www.TheDailySheeple.com
October 31st, 2013

You see a speed trap, with a cop or two sitting there, aiming the radar at passersby. What do you do?

According to a federal appeals court, you are well within your rights to give them the finger. Flipping the bird is your Constitutional right.

You may suspect that there is a good back story as to how this case made it to the Federal Court of Appeals, and you’d be right.

John Swartz and his wife Judy Mayton-Swartz had sued two police officers who arrested Swartz in May 2006 after he flipped off an officer who was using a radar device at an intersection in St. Johnsville, N.Y. Swartz was later charged with a violation of New York’s disorderly conduct statute, but the charges were dismissed on speedy trial grounds.

A federal judge in the Northern District of New York granted summary judgement to the officers in July 2011, but the Court of Appeals on Thursday erased that decision and ordered the lower court to take up the case again.

Richard Insogna, the officer who stopped Swartz and his wife when they arrived at their destination, claimed he pulled the couple over because he believed Swartz was “trying to get my attention for some reason.” (source)

According to court documents the officer was gravely concerned for the safety of the vehicle’s occupants, and not miffed that one of them shot him the bird after the cop had harrassed them previously. Here are some of the concerns that were going through Insogna’s mind:

In his deposition, Insogna said that after he saw John give him the finger, he decided to follow the car “to initiate a stop on it.” As reasons he stated: (1) John’s gesture “appeared to me he was trying to get my attention for some reason,” (2) “I thought that maybe there could be a problem in the car. I just wanted to assure the safety of the passengers,” and 3) “I was concerned for the female driver, if there was a domestic dispute.” (source)

My goodness, what a conscientious officer. It’s reassuring to know that the stop had nothing whatsoever to do with the passenger, John Swartz, and his reaction to seeing Insogna with a radar gun looking for speeders.

John expressed his displeasure at what the officer was doing by reaching his right arm outside the passenger side window and extending his middle finger over the car’s roof. (source)

Circuit Judge Jon O. Newman rendered the following decision.

Perhaps there is a police officer somewhere who would interpret an automobile passenger’s giving him the finger as a signal of distress, creating a suspicion that something occurring in the automobile warranted investigation. And perhaps that interpretation is what prompted Insogna to act, as he claims. But the nearly universal recognition that this gesture is an insult deprives such an interpretation of reasonableness.

This ancient gesture of insult is not the basis for a reasonable suspicion of a traffic violation or impending criminal activity. Surely no passenger planning some wrongful conduct toward another occupant of an automobile would call attention to himself by giving the finger to a police officer. And if there might be an automobile passenger somewhere who will give the finger to a police officer as an ill-advised signal for help, it is far more consistent with all citizens’ protection against improper police apprehension to leave that highly unlikely signal without a response than to lend judicial approval to the stopping of every vehicle from which a passenger makes that gesture. (source)

So take heart, bird flippers. This is our little victory over the cops. They might stop you, they might arrest you, and they might beat you to within an inch of your life – but it won’t hold up in court.

All sources:
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/exercise-your-constitutional-rights-give-a-cop-the-finger-today_102013#sthash.ZpeTaBiE.dpuf

satchelmcqueen
10-31-2013, 11:10 PM
fuck it

bolil
10-31-2013, 11:18 PM
Uhhh, so this pig admitted to conducting a fraudulent stop?

Mani
11-01-2013, 03:00 AM

For their safety.....

I wonder how hard it was for the officer to not yell at the man "Stop resisting" and to beat him over the head until his brain oozed out of his ears.

SeanTX
11-01-2013, 05:37 AM
It may be your "Constitutional right" -- but cops don't care much about those anymore, nor do they have to.

If you decide to participate in this event, make sure you have someone who can come get you out of jail, or the hospital.

Working Poor
11-01-2013, 06:35 AM
It may be your "Constitutional right" -- but cops don't care much about those anymore, nor do they have to.

If you decide to participate in this event, make sure you have someone who can come get you out of jail, or the hospital.

I would not even think about doing it.

FrankRep
11-01-2013, 06:37 AM
My brother-in-law is a Ron Paul supporter and a Cop.

I'm not going to give him the finger.

AngryCanadian
11-01-2013, 06:38 AM
I dont know if giving a finger to a cop is such a good idea unless you want to be beaten by the cop or teased with a taser
Or worse.

jkr
11-01-2013, 06:57 AM
SOME ANIMALS ARE mor, uh...blargh! blargh! blargh!

fucking embarrassing ass country

11-01-2013, 07:01 AM
I'd venture a guess that making an obscene gesture at people who have tanks may not end well for you.

aGameOfThrones
11-01-2013, 07:53 AM
This is not a free country when you can't give a cop the finger out of fear.

donnay
11-01-2013, 08:10 AM
“When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.”
~ Thomas Jefferson

Cleaner44
11-01-2013, 08:35 AM

No, I think he perjured himself while pretending he was looking out for their safety.

Athan
11-01-2013, 09:25 AM
SOME ANIMALS ARE mor, uh...blargh! blargh! blargh!

fucking embarrassing ass country

Straight to the truth. Good man.

phill4paul
11-01-2013, 10:17 AM
While I agree with the sentiments it would have the same, or worse, effect as calling 911. Do not call 911.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1379189463_hqdefault.jpg