PDA

View Full Version : Drone-Mounted Laser Weapons Are On the Way

DamianTV
10-30-2013, 04:10 PM
http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/10/30/025224/drone-mounted-laser-weapons-are-on-the-way

"DARPA is funding research into drone-mounted laser weapons. The project, called Endurance, is referred to in DARPA's 2014 budget request as being tasked with the development of 'technology for pod-mounted lasers to protect a variety of airborne platforms from emerging and legacy EO/IR guided surface-to-air missiles.' The budget explains that it will be the first application of DARPA's much-discussed Excalibur laser defense system, which developed lasers powerful enough to use as weapons. With the new program, DARPA is focused on miniaturizing the technology, as well as 'developing high-precision target tracking, identification, and lightweight agile beam control to support target engagement. The program will also focus on the phenomenology of laser-target interactions and associated threat vulnerabilities." In other words, DARPA hopes that drone-mounted lasers will soon be able to shoot missiles out of the sky."

Coming soon to both a City in Enemy Territory, as well as Your Home Town. If we cant control you, we'll just kill you before you awaken others.

Aratus
10-30-2013, 05:07 PM
SKYNET is here

DamianTV
10-30-2013, 05:35 PM
SKYNET is here

Oooh ooh! I got another cool term for it: Mother Brain!

Occam's Banana
10-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Drone-mounted lasers? *yawn* Boring and pedestrian!
Drone-mounted sharks with lasers, on the other hand ...

jdcole
10-31-2013, 08:09 AM
As much as I don't like it, even I have to admit that mounting lasers on drones is actually pretty effing cool.

I want a laser drone =\ Maybe get a laser from Arctic Lasers and mount it on an RC camera drone, create a custom trigger relay for it...hmm.

Bern
10-31-2013, 08:14 AM
http://www.secretsofthefed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/images13.jpg

jbauer
10-31-2013, 08:16 AM
Drone-mounted lasers? *yawn* Boring and pedestrian!
Drone-mounted sharks with lasers, on the other hand ...

Shark-drono can you get Tara Reid to play Michelle Obama?