PDA

View Full Version : Man, 61, dies in officer-involved shooting

Cissy
10-30-2013, 03:51 PM
"No officers were injured during the shooting," Samples said, but "we did have one officer receive a minor injury, not related to the gunfire."

Though police were guarded with details surrounding the case, eyewitnesses claim the shootout was prompted by a code enforcement operation involving an old, rusted and inoperable van owned by Pryor.

Witnesses say a Statesboro Code Compliance officer reported to Pryor's home to seize the van, which has sat idle in the yard for several years.

"He has had the van forever. They have been asking for years for him to move it. He signed some papers, went back into the house, and then all of a sudden everything happened," Roberts said. "The van had a lot of sentimental value for him. He wanted to get it fixed." A tow truck, with the van loaded, was still on the scene hours after the shooting.

The city's Code Compliance department, under the umbrella of Planning and Development, is responsible for "ensuring that the city's physical environment is maintained through the enforcement of codes related to building and property maintenance, sanitation, zoning, etc.," according to the city of Statesboro website. "Code compliance staff is responsible for investigating complaints which may often be categorized as ‘nuisances' including: vacant and dilapidated buildings, overgrown vegetation, front yard parking, abandoned vehicles, litter, etc. The activities of code compliance staff are intended to improve the community's standard of living and enhance property values throughout the city."

Samples said he could neither confirm nor deny the witness accounts, or release the names and job statuses of officers involved in the shooting.

http://www.statesboroherald.com/section/1/article/54504/

SeanTX
10-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Comply or die. Did he think he actually owned that property ?

pcosmar
10-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Code Enforcement. :(

Seriously,, How do they find the very worse kind of scumbags to take that job?

AFPVet
10-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Code Enforcement. :(

Seriously,, How do they find the very worse kind of scumbags to take that job?

It's like blight... so what if it's blighted... it's someone else's property. So your property value is worth more than other people's lives?

Philhelm
10-30-2013, 04:27 PM
"No officers were injured during the shooting," Samples said, but "we did have one officer receive a minor injury, not related to the gunfire."

Thank God! My heart was filled with dread at the thought of these heroic lawmen being put in harm's way.

Scrapmo
10-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Another reason I'm glad I don't have neighbors. If my grass gets little tall, or I park a truck in the front yard nobody is around to give a shit, except my wife.

WM_in_MO
10-30-2013, 06:24 PM
This is how they will get us. Those of us who are awake will finally reach a breaking point and commit suicide by cop.

Cissy
10-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Thank God! My heart was filled with dread at the thought of these heroic lawmen being put in harm's way.

It's always those bloody peasants causing trouble for the King's Good Men, the fair Knights of the Realm.

Henry Rogue
10-30-2013, 10:26 PM

At about 9:30 a.m., we received a report that shots were fired at that residence. The suspect in the shooting is deceased."
Wait a minute, I thought no cops were harmed? The suspect got away scot-free.