PDA

View Full Version : Robert M. Gates, former defense secretary, joins BSA national executive board

donnay
10-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Robert M. Gates, former defense secretary, joins BSA national executive board, serves as national president-elect

Robert M. Gates, a Distinguished Eagle Scout and our nation’s 22nd secretary of defense, has been elected to the national executive board of the Boy Scouts of America. Gates will serve as a member of the executive committee and as the national president-elect.

This move means that upon approval of voting members of the National Council, Gates would begin a two-year term as the BSA national president in May 2014. The national president works alongside Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock and National Commissioner Tico Perez to form the National Key 3 that guides the organization. (Learn more about the National Key 3 in the sidebar at right.)

national-key-3-2013Gates’ appointment was made upon the recommendation of national volunteer and professional leaders, including the BSA national nominating committee. Following the National Council’s approval of Gates’ two-year term as the BSA national president beginning in May 2014, Randall Stephenson, chairman and chief executive officer of AT&T Inc., has agreed to serve as the president-elect of the BSA.

“There is no finer program for preparing American boys for citizenship and leadership than the Boy Scouts of America,” Gates said recently. “As an Eagle Scout, I know firsthand how impactful this program can be, and I believe its mission is more important today than ever before.”

Gates’ Scouting résumé is voluminous: Distinguished Eagle Scout, Vigil Honor member of the Order of the Arrow, former president of the National Eagle Scout Association, past National Executive Board member and Silver Buffalo Award recipient. When it comes to the Scouting movement, Gates gets it.

“When I joined the CIA at age 22, I had no connections and didn’t know a soul,” he told the crowd at the opening arena show of the 2010 National Scout Jamboree. “The only thing in my life that led me to believe I could make it was my Eagle Scout badge. It was the only thing that distinguished me from most high school kids.”

Gates has a tremendous passion for Scouting but also a sense of humor when appropriate. In his 2010 jamboree speech, Gates described what happens when the director of the CIA goes camping with his Boy Scout troop.

“I think the edge gets taken off the wilderness experience when 100 yards away there are three large black vans, a satellite dish and armed security guards,” he told the crowd, drawing a big laugh. “It’s a challenge no Scoutmaster ever anticipated.”

Last year, Gates indicated a willingness to re-engage with the BSA, and because of his leadership capabilities and his long history of participation and service in Scouting, the BSA had the opportunity to take advantage of a unique moment to bring on board a truly great leader in Gates. He is one of our nation’s most respected public servants and a proven leader of the highest caliber.

“I am honored to take on this role and look forward to working on behalf of the millions of youth and adult members who make Scouting what it is today — an organization providing life-changing opportunities to today’s youth,” Gates said.

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2013/10/30/robert-m-gates-former-defense-secretary-joins-bsa-national-executive-board-serves-as-national-president-elect/

Great ex-CIA director working with the BSA. This, to me, is troublesome.

Flashback:

Boy Scouts Train to Become Homeland Gestapo
http://www.infowars.com/boy-scouts-train-to-become-homeland-gestapo/

Boy Scouts of America “Partners” With the Department of Homeland Security
http://www.infowars.com/boy-scouts-of-america-partners-with-the-department-of-homeland-security/

Jamboree Used by Military, Police to Indoctrinate Boy Scouts
http://www.infowars.com/jamboree-used-by-military-police-to-indoctrinate-boy-scouts/

Zippyjuan
10-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Good for him. I was an Eagle Scout.

donnay
10-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Good for him. I was an Eagle Scout.

Why does that not shock me in the least?

dannno
10-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Why does that not shock me in the least?

Wow, zippy and I have two things in common - both from San Diego and both Eagle Scouts :eek:

donnay
10-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Wow, zippy and I have two things in common - both from San Diego and both Eagle Scouts :eek:

Very scary. :eek:

Zippyjuan
10-30-2013, 09:06 PM
Being an Eagle Scout means you were successful in working towards a goal and aquired skills along the way. It doesn't mean anything political. Sorry the scouts scare you. They are just a bunch of kids of many backgrounds.

Congrats Danno! As I recall, less than one percent of scouts make it!

Matt Collins
10-30-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm an Eagle Scout too, and the direction the BSA is going is very disappointing between the removal of the gay prohibition, to their often embraced nationalism. :mad:

That being said, I still think the BSA is a great thing for youth to go through, because if the troop is good then most of the other fluff doesn't matter. I can't wait for me to have kids so that I too can be in the Boy Scouts again :D

donnay
10-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Being an Eagle Scout means you were successful in working towards a goal and aquired skills along the way. It doesn't mean anything political. Sorry the scouts scare you. They are just a bunch of kids of many backgrounds.

Congrats Danno! As I recall, less than one percent of scouts make it!

It scares me the direction that the BS are going.

TruckinMike
10-31-2013, 07:00 AM
Jugend.... (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/us/14explorers.html?_r=0)
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/05/14/us/14explorers2-600a.jpg

vita3
10-31-2013, 07:06 AM
"I think the edge gets taken off the wilderness experience when 100 yards away there are three large black vans, a satellite dish and armed security guards,” he told the crowd, drawing a big laugh. “It’s a challenge no Scoutmaster ever anticipated.”

Sad.

cjm
10-31-2013, 07:27 AM
It scares me the direction that the BS are going.

Organizations (BSA, GOP, whatever) are all just empty shells. They take their direction from their members. I helped some Webelos scouts work toward the "Citizen" activity badge recently. One of the requirements was to explain why it is important to obey laws. I covered the basics of that and then threw in Rosa Parks and the fugitive slave act to let them know that some laws need to be challenged and not obeyed. Another requirement is to discuss rights and responsibilities of citizens. I had them read the Declaration of Independence.

We can't wait for things to get better on their own. Liberty minded folks need to be involved in their communities in all spheres -- political, social, service, etc.

cjm
10-31-2013, 07:32 AM
I'm an Eagle Scout too, and the direction the BSA is going is very disappointing between the removal of the gay prohibition, to their often embraced nationalism. :mad:

That being said, I still think the BSA is a great thing for youth to go through, because if the troop is good then most of the other fluff doesn't matter. I can't wait for me to have kids so that I too can be in the Boy Scouts again :D

The BSA has always taken their cue on gays from american churches, citing the "reverent" point in the scout law. Since the churches have lightened up on homosexuality, so has the BSA.

donnay
10-31-2013, 07:45 AM
Organizations (BSA, GOP, whatever) are all just empty shells. They take their direction from their members. I helped some Webelos scouts work toward the "Citizen" activity badge recently. One of the requirements was to explain why it is important to obey laws. I covered the basics of that and then threw in Rosa Parks and the fugitive slave act to let them know that some laws need to be challenged and not obeyed. Another requirement is to discuss rights and responsibilities of citizens. I had them read the Declaration of Independence.

We can't wait for things to get better on their own. Liberty minded folks need to be involved in their communities in all spheres -- political, social, service, etc.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. I just hope there are more people like you, volunteering. I do have a liberty-mined friend that she and her husband are very active in the BS troop their son is in and are basically instilling the same type things. Then I have another friend who is a single mom who volunteers in her son's BS troop, but she is really oblivious towards the injustices going on and always has her rose colored glasses on. She is one of those people who chants, "USA! USA! USA!" because she believes that our hijacked government is righteous and good.

Matthew5
10-31-2013, 08:34 AM
I've served as an ASM, Scoutmaster, and District Executive. I've had all the leadership training available (save for Philmont) and have received my Wood Badge beads. It is a pretty good program, if they would underemphasis the nationalism (among other things). I was on my way out anyway as I grew to reject nationalism, but the homosexual issue was the final straw for me.

Seems the nationalism will only ramp up only this new president.

Matt Collins
10-31-2013, 08:36 AM

That's the "Police Explorer" program, not the traditional Boy Scouts.

Matt Collins
10-31-2013, 08:37 AM
The BSA has always taken their cue on gays from american churches, citing the "reverent" point in the scout law. Since the churches have lightened up on homosexuality, so has the BSA.
That is very geographic dependent

Matt Collins
10-31-2013, 08:39 AM

Exactly... the BSA isn't really monolithic as much as people tend to think it is. The troop or pack that your kid is in makes a HUGE difference as to how the program is carried out.

Elias Graves
10-31-2013, 08:52 AM
So now obama is implanting bots in the BSA?
Next, he'll be appointing the chief of the NRA.

VoluntaryAmerican
10-31-2013, 11:36 AM

NEXTGEN: Police State Warriors

hurrah! Merica'

Zippyjuan
10-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Twelve points of the Scout Law (still memorized)
A scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courtious, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

Matt Collins
10-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Twelve points of the Scout Law (still memorized)
A scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courtious, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

I've always wanted them to add "crafty, sly, and innovative" to that :D