PDA

View Full Version : Kibbe: After The Government Shutdown Dust Settles, 3 Predictions For 2014

CaseyJones
10-30-2013, 09:58 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mattkibbe/2013/10/30/after-the-government-shutdown-dust-settles-3-predictions-for-2014/

You don’t need Karl Rove’s white board to know which way the wind’s blowing. There is a profound shift happening in the way politics are done in America, and a civil war has erupted within the Republican Party as a result. It’s chaotic, and the attacks from the Republican establishment are getting uglier. The beltway milieu doesn’t take kindly to people who don’t abide by “the old way of doing things.”

Some are saying this intra-party split has marked the death of the GOP. But when the dust settles, the freedom caucus in the House and Senate will grow in 2014, and the beating heart of the GOP will be that of the big-tent, small “l” libertarian movement.

Here’s why:

1) Americans will continue to experience the ObamaCare enrollment disaster, and red state Democrats will be leading the charge for a delay of the individual mandate to provide themselves with political cover.

Americans have already received their first taste of ObamaCare disillusionment with recurring enrollment website glitches and the sticker shock of rising premium costs. According to a recent FreedomWorks poll, only 17 percent of all voters believe ObamaCare will have a positive personal impact – a new low point since the law was passed in March 2010.

A bewildered Daily Kos member recently wrote that the 2014 premiums for him and his healthy wife will be jumping, from $150 to $284 and $168 to $302, respectively. “I never felt too good about how this was passed and what it entailed, but I figured if it saved Americans money, I could go along with it,” he wrote. “I don’t know what to think now. This appears, in my experience, to not be a reform for the people. What am I missing?”

more at link