PDA

View Full Version : Getting best price when selling gold?

Unregistered
10-29-2013, 09:36 PM
I have gold bullion that I sadly need to sell. What price should I expect to get from the various gold stores around? I am not looking to get ripped off by some pawn shops and I am really hoping to be able to sell at around spot price since many shops sell above spot...

libertywanter
10-29-2013, 10:23 PM
DO NOT go to a pawn shop or Gold Buyers place, you will get ripped off big time. I would say put out a local ad and advertise it there, just be careful how you do it for security reasons, you dont want to put an ad out that you have gold in your home. ebay brings well over spot price on precious metal, but then you have ebay fees and the risk of getting scammed on there. Sell local to local individual, maybe ask your local businesses if they know any individuals that collect gold, just make sure you know what you have, karat value, weight, etc, if someone tells you it is not what you think it or fake, get second and third opinions, make sure you are dealing with someone on the up and up, ask around, get references. If I was in your shoes I would go ask local business owners if they or someone they know will be willing to buy, do not sell under spot value

Unregistered
10-29-2013, 10:40 PM
they are gold bullion, one troy ounce... bought off apmex... i guess i will sell back to apmex since they pay spot price... it sucks that the USA is a not a gold culture. In Asia you can buy and sell gold for very little margins and it is super easy/common.

libertywanter
10-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Ok then

Unregistered
10-30-2013, 05:00 PM
My suggestion is to call around to your local coin sellers and price them all-even ones in close by towns and cities. (at the same time, you could also price their sell price for bullion as well as AGE's, etc., so that in the future you know where to buy) You could then compare the highest buy price from your LCSs to the avg. price sold on ebay minus all of the fees, as well as compare them to the buy price at apmex, etc. I also believe that there is a market place at kitco forums, as well as here on RP forums. I have found the highest buy and sell price for all different kinds of silver and gold, and the dealer that has the highest buy price for AGE's is not the same dealer who has the highest buy price for bullion. It varies quite a bit. I have a spreadsheet that I keep track with. I would avoid craigslist like the plague. Good luck!

Unregistered
10-30-2013, 05:18 PM
"the dealer that has the highest buy price for AGE's is not the same dealer who has the highest buy price for bullion."

sorry my mistake above, meant rounds, not bullion.

JK/SEA
12-24-2014, 12:47 PM
bump

willwash
12-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Reputable dealers will pay at LEAST 98% of spot. You'll never get spot or greater with bullion unless you get lucky