PDA

View Full Version : Textbook publishers ignoring Texas school board’s inane interventions

tangent4ronpaul
10-28-2013, 10:05 PM
I never thought I'd have anything good to say about the parasitical textbook publishers that make minor revisions every 2-3 years in order to kill the resale market and increase the number of texts sold in th $80 - $200 range new. This time they surprised me!

Science stays in place after the board's reviewers request other stuff.
http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/10/textbook-publishers-ignoring-texas-school-boards-inane-interventions/

Textbook publishers have largely ignored the suggestions made by reviewers appointed by the Texas State School Board. Various members of the board have been attempting to undercut the teaching of evolution when formulating new science standards. After a tough fight that resulted in some confusing requirements, textbook makers were given the chance to implement the new standards. Naturally, when it came time to review the texts, the school board appointed a handful of creationists to the review group.

Just as naturally, those individuals requested that "'creation science' based on biblical principles should be incorporated into every biology book that is considered for adoption" and complained about how evolution was presented. The textbooks were supposed to be revised to reflect these complaints. Now, the publishers have submitted the texts they were supposed to have revised in light of these complaints. And, the good news is that the texts seem fine.

The Texas Freedom Network, which follows (among other things) science education in the state, has had a chance to look over the proposed revisions, and it hasn't found anything objectionable at first glance. Obviously, since teaching creation science is unconstitutional, it didn't make the revised versions. But many of the other complaints about the presentation of evolution were ignored, too. A biologist contacted by the organization agreed with its assessment—the texts seem scientifically sound.

We got in touch with the Texas Freedom Network's Dan Quinn, and he told Ars that the publishers did make some changes in response to the complaints, but did so in a way that didn't dilute the science. For example, reviewers complained about evolution being presented as a fact in statements like “Evolutionary theory offers the most logical explanation." In the revised version, that got changed to “Scientists who analyze and evaluate these data make the professional judgment that evolutionary theory offers the most logical explanation." In another case, the texts mention that "we evaluate some early experiments more critically than they were viewed at the time," which is true; nevertheless, the excerpt accurately notes that the general conclusion drawn from the early work has withstood more recent experiments.

"The publishers are clearly aware of the ideological motivations behind some of the required curriculum standards and the anti-evolution objections raised by reviewers," Quinn told Ars.

At this point, the reviewers get the next say and will rate the texts for their adherence to the state science standards. There's still a chance they could give the science books low ratings. But, from the sound of things, none of the books that are available will make the critics of evolution very happy.

-t

fr33
10-28-2013, 10:42 PM
It isn't just science books. The Texas State School Board wants to remove Thomas Jefferson from the history books.

angelatc
10-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Good to see that we're on board with purging faith.

fr33
10-28-2013, 10:54 PM
You are you and I am me. It doesn't take a "we" to post on a forum. Teach your faith cult without stealing from me to do it.

VoluntaryAmerican
10-29-2013, 09:55 AM
It isn't just science books. The Texas State School Board wants to remove Thomas Jefferson from the history books.

Yep... I would say history texts are the bigger problem.

VoluntaryAmerican
10-29-2013, 09:56 AM

:rolleyes:

Christian Liberty
10-29-2013, 09:58 AM
You are you and I am me. It doesn't take a "we" to post on a forum. Teach your faith cult without stealing from me to do it.

While true, I don't see replacing creation with evolution as really a "victory" on this front. In fact, I see it as a defeat because if the State is teaching godlessness (yes, I realize that theistic evolutionists exist, but that's not what is taught in school) they are ultimately teaching that the State itself is God.

Also, evolution isn't science.

Cleaner44
10-29-2013, 10:04 AM

Why would you want the state to be responsible for injecting faith into education? Shouldn't that be the job of private churches and families?

Cleaner44
10-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Yep... I would say history texts are the bigger problem.

This is what I bought for my kids:
The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
by Thomas E. Woods, Jr. (http://www.tomwoods.com/books/the-politically-incorrect-guide-to-american-history/)

moostraks
10-30-2013, 07:06 AM

Problem is that as long as they are taking money from folks for "education" then somebody's "faith cult" is stealing to do it.

moostraks
10-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Why would you want the state to be responsible for injecting faith into education? Shouldn't that be the job of private churches and families?

Spiritual beliefs don't exist in a vacuum. The state has done a dandy job acting as if it is perfectly reasonable to pretend as if they do. It helps stifle the opinions of those who believe in a power higher than that of the state.

LibertyEagle
10-30-2013, 07:20 AM

You do not seem to realize that those pushing evolution are injecting faith too and it is called secular humanism. The only difference is that you like that team, so it's fine with you.

erowe1
10-30-2013, 07:34 AM

Somebody's stealing from somebody to teach their faith cult no matter which of these faith cults the textbooks favor.

fisharmor
10-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Why would you want the state to be responsible for education? Shouldn't that be the job of private schools and families?
FTFY

fr33
10-31-2013, 11:42 PM
Somebody's stealing from somebody to teach their faith cult no matter which of these faith cults the textbooks favor.

That's kind of true. But on the subject of history Texas officials are removing Jefferson's writings on the dangers of mixing religion with statism from the textbooks. These are facts, not faith.

VIDEODROME
11-01-2013, 01:37 AM
I'm starting to think Natural Selection could be applied to other areas like the Economy. For reasons like that, maybe it would be a good idea to teach it starting with Evolution.

erowe1
11-01-2013, 07:17 AM
That's kind of true. But on the subject of history Texas officials are removing Jefferson's writings on the dangers of mixing religion with statism from the textbooks. These are facts, not faith.

I agree with you about that, at least inasmuch as I know what little I do about the case.

But I find it interesting how it's playing out.

The truth is, real Christian indoctrination would be teaching kids how evil and anti-christian the state is and always has been. It would deliberately play up Jefferson's attacks on the biblical faith. And it would inculcate in Christians the idea that they, in order to be friends of Jesus, need to be enemies of all the Jeffersons of the world, including the current regime in each generation.

It should be the anti-christian, pro-state, side that is propagandizing kids to believe that the state is friendly to the Gospel, and holding up the founders of the regime in DC as paragons of Christianity, so as to lie to kids like the serpent in Eden, "Did your parents really tell you that Washington DC was evil? Why, look at Jefferson, he was one of you."

At first I might ask myself why it isn't playing out that way right now. But it only takes a split second to realize it is, and that the business the pseudo-Christians on the Texas school board are up to is the business of whitewashing the regime for its own sake, and not for any other.