PDA

View Full Version : NC teacher allows students to use shared needles during science experiment

Snew
10-28-2013, 09:39 PM
http://www.wral.com/blood-experiment-costs-harnett-teacher-her-job/13047542/

Miyoshi McMillan wanted her Overhills High School honors biology students to conduct an experiment on blood typing last Thursday, and she used a lab kit that included synthetic blood and seven lancets.
"Some students were, like, 'Oh, this is cool. I want to know my blood type.'" McMillan said.
She allowed students to use the lancing needles to prick their own fingers. After using the needles, the students wiped them with alcohol swabs so the next class could use them.

The Bavarian
10-28-2013, 09:51 PM
thats fucked up

navy-vet
10-28-2013, 11:06 PM
And possibly illegal not to mention dangerous. Blood lancets are disposable items and not designed to be reused. Now they need to check the students for infectious diseases like AIDS, Hepatitis, etc. All of them....and that's gonna be expensive. And if one has a disease....oh boy....the incubation period for AIDS for example can be years...
All because some body was either slack assed and didn't get enough lancets or tried to save twenty bucks.

navy-vet
10-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Expect this level of competency in the clinics staffed with nurse practitioners that the sheeple are going to be herded into when the single payer health system is instituted. Add to that the fact they are going to be unionized government workers...

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Excellent.

jclay2
10-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Not to different than the police state. As Alex Jones likes to say:

"Four orifices, one glove"

Brian4Liberty
10-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Enjoy.

2000-05-26 04:00:00 PDT PALO ALTO -- A phlebotomist fired after she allegedly reused needles at a Palo Alto blood lab pleaded not guilty yesterday to a host of related charges, including five counts of assault with a deadly weapon.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Not-Guilty-Pleas-in-Needle-Case-Alleged-reuse-3238847.php

Reuse of Needle at Hospital Infects 50 With Hepatitis C

More than 50 people at an Oklahoma hospital have been infected with hepatitis C after a nurse repeatedly used the same needle and syringe to give drugs, area health officials say.

Officials of the hospital, Norman Regional Hospital in Norman, have contacted hundreds of patients treated since 1999 at the hospital clinic where the nurse worked and have urged them to be tested for blood-borne diseases.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/10/us/reuse-of-needle-at-hospital-infects-50-with-hepatitis-c.html

Warrior_of_Freedom
10-29-2013, 12:16 AM
are the needles really that expensive that people would re-use them?

CPUd
10-29-2013, 12:31 AM

Probably has more to do with the red tape they have to go through to order them.

kcchiefs6465
10-29-2013, 12:37 AM
People are that dumb that they'd reuse them.

MRK
10-29-2013, 12:54 AM

No, needles are intrinsically not expensive. But as far as I know, their distribution is controlled, regulated and limited. I am not sure on the details on this, but it's not something you can just go to Walmart for and buy a box of 500.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

kcchiefs6465
10-29-2013, 01:03 AM
No, needles are intrinsically not expensive. But as far as I know, their distribution is controlled, regulated and limited. I am not sure on the details on this, but it's not something you can just go to Walmart for and buy a box of 500.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
You aren't.

You need a prescription.

"For the kids."

Government sanctioned monopolies gonna monopolize.

ETA: Apparently I misspoke. I do know a few diabetics and could have sworn they needed a prescription for them. Perhaps that's just if they want their insurance company to pay for them? In any case, our healthcare system is wholly fucked, to say the least.

kcchiefs6465
10-29-2013, 01:07 AM
[Some] Hospitals charges about twenty dollars a piece for one. (an incredible markup of around a couple thousand percentage points)

No worries. "Free" healthcare.

And people wonder why I can't go to the doctor until it is an emergency.

Hospital gowns alone at times are charged at some $198. Why? Because some stupid fuck head will pay for it. (or rather, government insured programs will) A wholesale pillage.

Working Poor
10-29-2013, 03:50 AM
Reuse of Needle at Hospital Infects 50 With Hepatitis C

More than 50 people at an Oklahoma hospital have been infected with hepatitis C after a nurse repeatedly used the same needle and syringe to give drugs, area health officials say.

Officials of the hospital, Norman Regional Hospital in Norman, have contacted hundreds of patients treated since 1999 at the hospital clinic where the nurse worked and have urged them to be tested for blood-borne diseases.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/10/us...patitis-c.html

And people wonder why I don't want to go to a doctor....

jkr
10-29-2013, 06:45 AM
yes folks!
line up!
SEND YOUR KIDS TO PUBLIC SCHOOLS!
where they can get:

murdered
molested
indoctrinated
learn that 2+2=5

and now
for a limited time only

sharing needles in class!

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG

(remember not to make your fingers look like a gun...)

navy-vet
10-29-2013, 07:30 AM
No script required and available at Walmart or Walgreens. Here's a mail order link where 200 cost about 20 bucks or 2 cents each
Technically they aren't needles but sharp pointed metal lancets. At least that's what I believe they were using. Some of them are like thumb tack posts. Diabetics use them to prick their fingers and test their blood sugar.
covers/257347/257347.aspx?source=GoogleBase&gclid=CLLzzsuSvLoCFRGi4AodoxoAiQ (http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/product/feather-0174-disposable-blood-lancet-200/box/mattress-pads-and-waterproof-covers/257347/257347.aspx?source=GoogleBase&gclid=CLLzzsuSvLoCFRGi4AodoxoAiQ)

tod evans
10-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Coulda used their pocket knifes............Oh wait.

FindLiberty
10-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Mandatory gubermint Youth Indoctrination Camp idiots! Come on now, you've got to be kidding...
Is this just a fake new story? Heads need to roll over that SNAFU ...starting and maybe ending w/that teacher's job.

Who would want to subject their children to publik skool anyhow, and in particular a "teacher" that would risk reusing a blood letting device in such a dangerous manner?

A new sterile lancet (and an alcohol cleaning/prep pad) is all that's needed to get a finger capillary blood sample.

Were not talk'n venipuncture here (required for a whole blood donation or fillin' tubes with blood for medical lab testing), only one tiny drop is needed for a simple blood type identification experiment!

Of course, gloves, face mask and especially eye protection are additional bonus safety items, but at
a minimum, clean hands and a sterile on-time-use lancet is all that's needed.

Lancets are not too expensive...

Walgreens sells 'em in a box of 100 ...for only $3.29

That's only 3.3 cents each! (Not unreasonable IMO to protect a child from Hepatitis, or worse.)

$3.29 at Walgreenshttp://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/209694/155.jpg

Or,http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/87/42/02/0007874202644_180X180.jpg100 Lancets $3.74 at Walmart.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/08/01/96/30/0008019630284_180X180.jpg200 alcohol wipes for $3.00 at Walmart

FindLiberty
10-29-2013, 07:58 AM
No script required and available at Walmart or Walgreens. 100% I missed your post while I was spitting up my little rant... You already nailed it!

phill4paul
10-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Well, NC doesn't pay teachers enough to even afford lancets. Doncha know. :toady:

VoluntaryAmerican
10-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Wow what a moron. I would expect a biology teacher to know better.

libertyjam
10-29-2013, 08:15 AM
You aren't.

You need a prescription.

"For the kids."

Government sanctioned monopolies gonna monopolize.

Never needed a prescription for small needles for the cat or animals, just kept behind the pharmacy counter and readily available at any vet supply and feed store in common guages. used to buy insulin needles by the 500 box.

pcosmar
10-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Wow what a moron. I would expect a biology teacher to know better.

Why?
I know better,, and you apparently know better.

Why would you think some random idiot that was able to land a tax-funded job would know better?
They have a piece of paper that says they know something???

surf
10-29-2013, 10:27 AM
i'll admit to using lancets over and over again (on myself, until they get dull) and probably having shared one or two.

obviously bad form by the teacher, but it sounds like the group here has turned into a bunch of purrell-swigging-surgical-mask-wearing types.

kcchiefs6465
10-29-2013, 11:05 AM
i'll admit to using lancets over and over again (on myself, until they get dull) and probably having shared one or two.

obviously bad form by the teacher, but it sounds like the group here has turned into a bunch of purrell-swigging-surgical-mask-wearing types.
You would be singing a different tune if it was your child receiving the hepatitis vaccinations and HIV test or if God forbid, one of the students actually had something.

I actually knew an addict with your attitude. She was pretty cool but had a fairly liberal (in the generic sense) view of health. She died of sepsis. True story.

They cost a few pennies. Sharing them doesn't make a bit of sense. I would not trust one's judgement (and would assume they are an addict) if rather than doling out the few pennies, they share one. Your wife or family of who you know their habits, maybe. But not to some stranger or even worse, to an unknowing person. This is fucked up on a few levels.

pcosmar
10-29-2013, 11:07 AM
, but it sounds like the group here has turned into a bunch of purrell-swigging-surgical-mask-wearing types.

Not really.. I am certainly not..
I used needles recreationally years ago. I have reused some on my own,, but did not share them.

Hell,, I give vaccinations to dogs and cats,,, but don't even reuse them.(on animals). and I am hardly prissy about much of anything.

It falls into the category of "a very bad idea".

navy-vet
10-29-2013, 07:43 PM
100% I missed your post while I was spitting up my little rant... You already nailed it!

Yours was a lot better though. ;)