PDA

View Full Version : Libertarians divided in #VAGOV

supermario21
10-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Paulites vs Reason Magazine Part ????

Talks about Rand's even with Cuccinelli and Sarvis hitting back.

Sarvis said he is a libertarian much more in the mold of former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson, who ran for president last year, than either Paul or his father. Johnson spent two-and-a-half-hours mingling with Sarvis backers at a small-dollar fundraiser in Clarendon Saturday night.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/virginia-governor-race-2013-libertarian-divide-98979.html#ixzz2j3lj75T9

twomp
10-28-2013, 05:02 PM
I support Rand Paul and all but let's be honest here. Rand Paul is not a libertarian. In order for there to be a split between libertarians, wouldn't Rand Paul have to be a libertarian first?

Smart3
10-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Cooch and Bill Maher are equally libertarian.

dannno
10-28-2013, 05:23 PM
I like Gary Johnson, but he is not nearly as libertarian as Ron Paul. It's not even a horse race, it would be like a race between a horse and a puppy dog.

Whoever said that is a moron.

Who is this Sarvis guy?

thoughtomator
10-28-2013, 05:25 PM
I support Rand Paul and all but let's be honest here. Rand Paul is not a libertarian. In order for there to be a split between libertarians, wouldn't Rand Paul have to be a libertarian first?

Rand is a libertarian, he just doesn't play one on TV. Policy wise there is no daylight between he and his father.

That said, I'm voting Sarvis. I want the Libertarian Party to have a guaranteed ballot line - Virginia needs a 3rd party, with the two major ones being so hopelessly corrupt.

phill4paul
10-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Write in Ron Paul or ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnxkfLe4G74

Rudeman
10-28-2013, 05:29 PM

Rand is more libertarian that the LP candidate in Virginia. It's funny that Smart3 compared Cooch to Bill Maher because that is who Sarvis reminds me of. Liberal on social issues but very questionable on everything else. If being liberal on social issues is all it takes to be libertarian then yes people like Sarvis/Maher are libertarian.

Feeding the Abscess
10-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Rand is more libertarian that the LP candidate in Virginia. It's funny that Smart3 compared Cooch to Bill Maher because that is who Sarvis reminds me of. Liberal on social issues but very questionable on everything else. If being liberal on social issues is all it takes to be libertarian then yes people like Sarvis/Maher are libertarian.

A good deal of ancaps, minarchists, and otherwise hard-right libertarians left the LP to support Ron Paul. Not all of them went back to the LP. Sarvis, Barr, and Gary Johnson are what you get when the hardcore crowd largely leaves.

Matt Collins
10-28-2013, 06:07 PM
The Republican Party is learning that they cannot win without a libertarian wing. This is a good thing.

fisharmor
10-28-2013, 06:18 PM
A good deal of ancaps, minarchists, and otherwise hard-right libertarians left the LP to support Ron Paul. Not all of them went back to the LP. Sarvis, Barr, and Gary Johnson are what you get when the hardcore crowd largely leaves.

And several more of us were created when RP got a national voice.

The Republican Party is learning that they cannot win without a libertarian wing.

And there you have it.
We've already established that nobody is actually fond of anyone in the race and that it's all about parties and who controls what.
So we may as well teach the R establishment a well-deserved lesson for fucking us over every occasion they got in 2012 and 2008, and in the process cement the LP as a fixture here, forcing them to deal with it proactively in the future.

mad cow
10-28-2013, 06:28 PM
The Republican Party is learning that they cannot win without a libertarian wing. This is a good thing.

The Republican party in Virginia,should they lose,is going to take this as a symbol to never run anybody as libertarian as Cuccinelli again.

Hell,Bill Bolling wouldn't make the cut.Our next GOP candidate for Guv will be a Chris Christie clone.

Matt Collins
10-28-2013, 06:33 PM
The Republican party in Virginia,should they lose,is going to take this as a symbol to never run anybody as libertarian as Cuccinelli again.Then they will continue to lose.

The harsh reality is that the GOP may have too big of a tent to be viable. But I think that is probably circumstantial depending on the location and race dynamics.

fisharmor
10-28-2013, 06:38 PM
The Republican party in Virginia,should they lose,is going to take this as a symbol to never run anybody as libertarian as Cuccinelli again.

I don't see how that can possibly be the case, since from the very beginning of the race the Democrats have painted him as a hard-line social conservative who is going to throw women who get abortions and homosexuals into prison...
and he responded by having Rick Santorum campaign for him.

cajuncocoa
10-28-2013, 06:44 PM

Hell,Bill Bolling wouldn't make the cut.Our next GOP candidate for Guv will be a Chris Christie clone.

LOL.

Ken Cuccinelli's crusade against sodomy (http://theweek.com/article/index/247156/ken-cuccinellis-crusade-against-sodomy)

One day, someone on this board is going to try to sell Rick Santorum as a libertarian. :rolleyes:

Matt Collins
10-28-2013, 06:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P34SUDahiA0

Rudeman
10-28-2013, 06:51 PM
The Republicans will just decide to run someone like Bob McDonnell. I think it might be wishful thinking to think they'll go with someone even more libertarian, the GOP is already trying to put the clamps on anyone that isn't a moderate/establishment candidate and Cuccinelli losing would just be another reason to push for more moderates.

Rudeman
10-28-2013, 06:57 PM
LOL.

Ken Cuccinelli's crusade against sodomy (http://theweek.com/article/index/247156/ken-cuccinellis-crusade-against-sodomy)

One day, someone on this board is going to try to sell Rick Santorum as a libertarian. :rolleyes:

Cuccinelli is significantly more libertarian than Santorum. Also the poster you quoted didn't say Cuccinelli was a libertarian.

That's like if someone said we should elect Rand because he'd be the most libertarian president we've had in the last century. That's a true statement but also wouldn't mean that Rand was a libertarian.

Neither Cuccinelli or Sarvis are really libertarians, I personally think Cuccinelli is the better candidate.

HOLLYWOOD
10-28-2013, 07:29 PM
The Republican Party is learning that they cannot win without a libertarian wing. This is a good thing.yes... and it should be engrained into these establishment GOP lifers. Only takes 1-5% or so to sway the election. You want a political job Republicrat? Better listen and vote accordingly.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Northern Virginia is dragging the rest of the state down. It's fast becoming a subsidiary of D.C., like Maryland.

cajuncocoa
10-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Cuccinelli is significantly more libertarian than Santorum. Also the poster you quoted didn't say Cuccinelli was a libertarian.

That's like if someone said we should elect Rand because he'd be the most libertarian president we've had in the last century. That's a true statement but also wouldn't mean that Rand was a libertarian.

Neither Cuccinelli or Sarvis are really libertarians, I personally think Cuccinelli is the better candidate.

It sounds to me as if all 3 of them are horrible candidates. I personally couldn't vote for anyone who wants to police behavior that goes on in the bedroom.

HOLLYWOOD
10-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Northern Virginia is dragging the rest of the state down. It's fast becoming a subsidiary of D.C., like Maryland.7 of 10 wealthiest per capita counties in the United States, are around the Washington DC metro area, aka No. Virginia.

mad cow
10-28-2013, 07:49 PM
yes... and it should be engrained into these establishment GOP lifers. Only takes 1-5% or so to sway the election. You want a political job Republicrat? Better listen and vote accordingly.

Yeah,and that is how the GOP elected such Libertarian stalwarts as Ehrlich,Christie,Romney and Schwarzenegger Guvs in MD,NJ,MASS and CALI by bowing down to their libertarian wing. :roll eyes:

Face it,VA. is increasingly blue perhaps bluer than those 4 States in a few years.
But we'll show them.Oh well,it was nice owning guns and not be a felon...

Matt Collins
10-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Northern Virginia is dragging the rest of the state down. It's fast becoming a subsidiary of D.C., like Maryland.

http://umwgeography.org/files/2012/11/2012-results-Cartogram.png

http://umwgeography.org/files/2012/11/2012-results1.png

http://coopercenterdemographics.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/virginia-election-maps-trad-county-results-20081.jpg

mad cow
10-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Yep,NOVA Fed Gov ticks,Richmond State Gov ticks and Hampton Roads MIC ticks.
But that is where all the population is located.
We're screwed. :(