PDA

View Full Version : Family Sues Red Bull For 85 Million After Man's Death

AuH20
10-28-2013, 12:19 PM
And that is why corporations exist, ladies and gentlemen. Ridiculous.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn-man-killed-red-bull-85-million-suit-article-1.1498452

VIDEODROME
10-28-2013, 12:28 PM
It may have contributed in some way, but I feel like a biased view of his healthy lifestyle is being presented.

What if his healthy lifestyle was a lean diet leaving him feel fatigued, and he compensated by drinking a lot of RedBull?

I do think these things are addicting though. For a while, I was a truck driver and came close to getting addicted to Monster Energy and Venom. The more of those you drink, the harder the crash is when they wear off.

brooks009
10-28-2013, 12:41 PM
An 8oz redbull makes my heart race and I feel high and I've seen people drink 24oz cans. No telling how much he already had that day in this case. It defiantly could have been the cause of the heart attack. Although I think its up to the individual to limit his/her intake and not the company.

donnay
10-28-2013, 12:43 PM
I am sure Red Bull isn't good. I also became more aware of how bad it is when I saw the Captain, Phil Harris on Deadliest Catch die of a stroke--he guzzled Red Bulls like they were water. My SIL suffered two heart attacks while drinking this stuff too. He still hasn't learned a thing, he switched to Monster now. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, I think personal responsibility and discernment should kick in when using things like this. You drink it, drink it at your own risk.

AuH20
10-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Red Bull really does give you wings.

AuH20
10-28-2013, 12:46 PM
An 8oz redbull makes my heart race and I feel high and I've seen people drink 24oz cans. No telling how much he already had that day in this case. It defiantly could have been the cause of the heart attack. Although I think its up to the individual to limit his/her intake and not the company.

24 oz redbull? Who drinks that?

HOLLYWOOD
10-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Was it drinking the RedBull or all the Jagermeister shots dropped into them?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WhnJJd51onw/TWbgr1nDvwI/AAAAAAAAACE/HlC4Kuf8S8A/s320/jager_bomb_thumb.jpg (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WhnJJd51onw/TWbgr1nDvwI/AAAAAAAAACE/HlC4Kuf8S8A/s1600/jager_bomb_thumb.jpg)

Cowlesy
10-28-2013, 01:32 PM
I am sure Red Bull isn't good. I also became more aware of how bad it is when I saw the Captain Phil Harris on Deadliest Catch die of a stroke--he guzzled Red Bulls like they were water. My SIL suffered two heart attacks while drinking this stuff too. He still hasn't learned a thing, he switched to Monster now. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, I think personal responsibility and discernment should kick in when using things like this. You drink it, drink it at your own risk.

Captain Phil was also a huge smoker which probably didn't help matters.

Agree on the point of personal responsibility.

fatjohn
10-28-2013, 01:54 PM
You can overdose water http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
Take responsability for your actions.
Next subject.

donnay
10-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Captain Phil was also a huge smoker which probably didn't help matters.

Agree on the point of personal responsibility.

I am sure the smoking didn't help, nor the pots of coffee and not eating right. It's just a shame. He not only cheated himself, but his two boys of their father.

Seraphim
10-28-2013, 02:23 PM
These are AWESOME.

Lol.

Was it drinking the RedBull or all the Jagermeister shots dropped into them?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WhnJJd51onw/TWbgr1nDvwI/AAAAAAAAACE/HlC4Kuf8S8A/s320/jager_bomb_thumb.jpg (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WhnJJd51onw/TWbgr1nDvwI/AAAAAAAAACE/HlC4Kuf8S8A/s1600/jager_bomb_thumb.jpg)

Mani
10-29-2013, 12:25 AM
Personal Responsibility doesn't exist much anymore.

It's almost like you are a heartless asshole if you mention it.

oyarde
10-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Personal Responsibility doesn't exist much anymore.

It's almost like you are a heartless asshole if you mention it.

I like personal responsibility . I should get a bumper sticker , " I am the heartless asshole that does not want to pay for things for others ", LOL

enhanced_deficit
10-29-2013, 12:31 AM
I think RB is unhealthy, don't mind if they are punished this way.
But would they go out of biz, too soon to say.

RickyJ
10-29-2013, 12:31 AM
One 8oz red bull does nothing for me, it takes two of them to start to have an effect, and at least four to get those "wings."

RickyJ
10-29-2013, 12:34 AM
24 oz redbull? Who drinks that?

I would if they were cheaper than 3 8oz cans.

RickyJ
10-29-2013, 12:37 AM

Anything can be abused, even coffee. Red Bull to me is not as bad as coffee.

RickyJ
10-29-2013, 12:40 AM
This suit will go nowhere. I am sure there are many people that also claimed someone died after drinking too much coke, yet coke is the still the world's most popular soft drink.

Mani
10-29-2013, 12:42 AM
Agreed anything can be abused. Water, coffee, alcohol, energy drinks, etc. Soda drinks are full of sugar too. So are we going to ban soda?

enhanced_deficit
10-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Anything can be abused, even coffee. Red Bull to me is not as bad as coffee.

I'm very probably prejudiced against RB, but I have seen various studies about coffee and those beans seem closer to nature. RB only has commercials with a profit motive and my first impulse is to distrust commercial messages.
But is it prejudiced view as I said, I have never tried RB and probably never will. So I'm open to being wrong on this.
That said, I won't find time to mourn if both RB and Starbucks went out of biz.

RickyJ
10-29-2013, 01:00 AM
I'm very probably prejudiced against RB, but I have seen various studies about coffee and those beans seem closer to nature. RB only has commercials with a profit motive and my first impulse is to distrust commercial messages.
But is it prejudiced view as I said, I have never tried RB and probably never will. So I'm open to being wrong on this.

I don't drink it regularly and don't drink it just for the heck of it. I certainly wouldn't drink it after playing basketball for 45 minutes. I only drink it when I need to get something done urgently and am about to fall asleep. When driving long distances and very sleepy, you either have to pull over and get some sleep, or get some stimulant into your system if you want to avoid falling asleep while you are driving and killing yourself and possibly others.

enhanced_deficit
10-29-2013, 01:07 AM
I don't drink it regularly and don't drink it just for the heck of it. I certainly wouldn't drink it after playing basketball for 45 minutes. I only drink it when I need to get something done urgently and am about to fall asleep. When driving long distances and very sleepy, you either have to pull over and get some sleep, or get some stimulant into your system if you want to avoid falling asleep while you are driving and killing yourself and possibly others.

All right, you make a compelling case :) Maybe I'll give it a try someday.

donnay
10-29-2013, 07:33 AM
What's Inside: Red Bull
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/15-07/st_redbull

One ingredient, glucuronolactone piqued my curiosity. The thing is there isn't much, in the way of, research done to give any conclusive answers about this particular ingredient. There are rumors it can cause liver damage and kidney damage but nothing is confirmed.

I read a few studies saying these energy drinks are loaded with sugar (16 oz. about 13 tsps.) which in turn impairs their fluid intake and causes dehydration. Athletes are cautioned not to drink them before any athletic event. Severe dehydration can cause someone to have a heart attack.

phill4paul
10-29-2013, 07:48 AM
So when will the FDA be charged with murder. There is plenty of precedent....

tod evans
10-29-2013, 07:52 AM
I'll build the pyre if you'll gather up the lawyers.

Suing for stupidity is way too lucrative!

RJB
10-29-2013, 07:54 AM
I read a few studies saying these energy drinks are loaded with sugar (16 oz. about 13 tsps.) which in turn impairs their fluid intake and causes dehydration. Athletes are cautioned not to drink them before any athletic event. Severe dehydration can cause someone to have a heart attack.

I had a close friend die of a heart attack at the end of a 10k race. He chugged that crap. He was 39 (my age at the time.) He was a friend from my days in the Marines. It was very sobering for me. Those friends, I've pictured them as forever young and invincible. It's best to avoid anything sold by a mega corporation in a sealed package loaded with unnatural crap. A 10k run is nothing, add poison and you're dead before 40.

donnay
10-29-2013, 08:45 AM
I had a close friend die of a heart attack at the end of a 10k race. He chugged that crap. He was 39 (my age at the time.) He was a friend from my days in the Marines. It was very sobering for me. Those friends, I've pictured them as forever young and invincible. It's best to avoid anything sold by a mega corporation in a sealed package loaded with unnatural crap. A 10k run is nothing, add poison and you're dead before 40.

Truly sad. I am sorry for your loss. Stories like this should be told, not so we can all sue someone, but to bring awareness to.

angelatc
10-29-2013, 08:51 AM

Punished? Really? Is someone forcing you to drink them?

People like you are the reason we all end up punished.

angelatc
10-29-2013, 08:52 AM

And yet I would be willing to wager that I could go to any number of races and see people exactly like your friend who aren't dead. It's a numbers game.

angelatc
10-29-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm very probably prejudiced against RB, but I have seen various studies about coffee and those beans seem closer to nature. RB only has commercials with a profit motive ....

Jesus. Now profit is evil too.

satchelmcqueen
10-29-2013, 08:58 AM
anyone try the drink cocaine??

it taste so good and has a weird after taste but 1 8oz can is supposed to be like 3.5 red bulls. the last 3 i drank i went slow and it took about 20 minutes, but about 45 mins after i got so dizzy and weak. i aint touched one since.

as far as suing over a death...i dont agree with that. its ones choice to either drink one or not.

jbauer
10-29-2013, 08:59 AM

Probably on the wrong forum, although it surley been pointed out to you. How can you sue a corporation for "unhealthy" products when most libertarians view their body as their own and the contents of which you subject it to are yours and yours alone to answer to?

If we do away with the war on drugs will we have people who get so high they do something stupid be suing the pot growers?

jbauer
10-29-2013, 09:01 AM

Can you name one commercial that wasn't about profit motives? Heck Folgers runs commercials. Did you think they are doing this for fun?

RJB
10-29-2013, 09:10 AM
And yet I would be willing to wager that I could go to any number of races and see people exactly like your friend who aren't dead. It's a numbers game.I'll take that wager. I'd like to see the stats on people who died participating in athletics who were not on these "energy" drinks and those who were.

oyarde
10-29-2013, 11:24 AM
How is Red Bull responsible for someone drinking Red Bull ? Oh yeah , they are not .

PaulConventionWV
10-29-2013, 12:20 PM

Please, PLEASE learn the difference between "defiantly" (doing something in defiance) and "definitely" (a sure thing).

PaulConventionWV
10-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Red Bull really does give you wings.

Angel wings, if anything.

PaulConventionWV
10-29-2013, 12:27 PM
And yet I would be willing to wager that I could go to any number of races and see people exactly like your friend who aren't dead. It's a numbers game.

I don't think anybody's denying that. It's just that you don't want to be the unlucky one.

Ender
10-29-2013, 02:43 PM

Could have to do with blood type as well.

Blood type O's are the kind that can drink and smoke and sometimes live to 105, while A's are a lot more delicate. Was in show where one of our actors went home after opening night and fell asleep on the couch; he never woke up. Was a whopping 40 years old. He was Blood type A.

enhanced_deficit
10-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Edit to add: I had been thinking of recent "5 hours energy" ads instead of Red Bull, latter seems to have tad bit better image in my mind. But views expressed on these drinks remain in realm of biased speculation and not necessarily well informed.

Punished? Really? Is someone forcing you to drink them?

People like you are the reason we all end up punished.

I got carried away in my first post knee jerk response. On second thought it went far beyond my personal preference of not liking this product.
My intent is there should be equality in accountability. I find it odd that natural herbs are prohibited but unknown chemicals shots are heavily marketed and I do believe corporate profit motive plays a role in lubricating political machinery that makes laws. Recently was shocked to see a Breast Cancer campaign ad featuring Red Bull.

There was a time when cigarettes were marketed with heavy glamor to adults and kids alike with profit/addiction motive by corporations and then a major U turn 30-40 years later and now horrifying anti-cig ads on air during dinner hours from tax payers funded bodies like CDC. I suspect similar cycle for RB in our "free economy".

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/chesterfield-reagan.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=UlAMp9e3dfz9vM&tbnid=xqhR5Fhh6nMkXM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2F8301-505123_162-42744537%2Fwhy-the-fdas-new-cigarette-ad-ban-is-a-load-of-old-smoke%2F&ei=6yJwUsuqAYWqkQfF14Fo&bvm=bv.55123115,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNHoyEULvntZ--nZlNOG4GIvOchMfA&ust=1383167077822940)http://www.adweek.com/files/imagecache/node-detail/news_article/smoking-website-cdc-hed-2012.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=60X9KpLC9XVw2M&tbnid=VvTzb0q33CwyAM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.adweek.com%2Fnews%2Fadvertisi ng-branding%2Ffeds-anti-smoking-fear-campaign-scares-quitters-141682&ei=5kJwUpCCEIq4kQegtYFY&bvm=bv.55123115,d.eW0&psig=AFQjCNFfrFy60cFh_sUc_Mgk6HRHlBZ7qQ&ust=1383174962444190)

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/5a/7c/5a7c18c40291a58952f204730eccc736.jpg?itok=0SCdhQvS (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=fGjzW712_y_MaM&tbnid=yOrzml2lUpI1RM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.examiner.com%2Farticle%2Fwoma n-who-starred-graphic-anti-smoking-ad-dies-of-cancer-at-53&ei=c0NwUqj_KYe1kQeJ_4FA&bvm=bv.55123115,d.eW0&psig=AFQjCNFfrFy60cFh_sUc_Mgk6HRHlBZ7qQ&ust=1383174962444190)