PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana likely to be decriminalized in D.C.

CaseyJones
10-28-2013, 10:31 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/marijuana-likely-to-be-decriminalized-in-dc/2013/10/27/238b83c4-3dbe-11e3-b7ba-503fb5822c3e_story.html

BEFORE LONG, smoking a joint in the nation’s capital might get you in even less trouble than parking on the wrong side of the street on street-cleaning day.

Ten of 13 members of the D.C. Council and Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D) have endorsed a plan to make small-time marijuana possession a civil rather than a criminal offense. That means recreational cannabis users wouldn’t face arrest, charges or jail time — any of which can destroy their lives — as long as they aren’t caught with more than an ounce of the drug. Instead, they would have to pay a fine, perhaps as low as $25. (The mayor also wants criminal penalties to remain for anyone caught using it in public.)

Much of the debate over the idea has focused on an American Civil Liberties Union report that suggests that the District and many other jurisdictions enforce their anti-marijuana laws unfairly, disproportionately arresting African American suspects. On these pages, Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier pushed back, insisting that factors such as a geographic concentration of tips about marijuana users, not biased policing, are responsible for the city’s arrest figures.

tod evans
10-28-2013, 10:35 AM
They're throwin' bones..

I suppose a starving dog is grateful for bones though...

libertariantexas
10-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Every little bit helps.

At some point, if enough people, cities, states, etc. oppose a stupid law, you reach a tipping point, and eventually the authoritarians will lose as public opinion turns overwhelmingly against them.

I think we are at, or near, that point with various anti-homosexuality laws- within a few years, I expect most of them will be gone.

Probably still quite few years away with anti-marijuana laws. But we'll get there- every time a state legalizes, decriminalizes, allows medical marijuana, the authoritarian's position is weakened.

So this change, by itself, is small, but it helps.

Root
10-28-2013, 03:04 PM
What a fucking joke. So now all the "representatives" sent to DC will be able to enjoy their cannabis while they vote to put you in a cage for doing the same thing. :mad:

thoughtomator
10-28-2013, 03:04 PM
If they pass this I'll rescind my never-going-back-to-DC pledge just long enough to smoke a joint in front of Congress, the White House, and the Supreme Court.

thoughtomator
10-28-2013, 03:05 PM
What a fucking joke. So now all the "representatives" sent to DC will be able to enjoy their cannabis while they vote to put you in a cage for doing the same thing. :mad:

You can already smoke pot quite freely in downtown DC near the Capitol. Don't ask me how I know.